Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac STS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heated steering wheel functioning is not working. I have replaced the fuse and it still does not work. I do plan on taking it to the dealership. Anyone else out there experienced this issue? If so, what is the cost of repair? Thanks

K

·
0 Posts
Re: 2008 Cadillac STS Heated Steering Wheel Heater not functioning

Your going to need a new steering wheel IF you can find one. If you are not under warranty, around $700. This is a common problem: mine failed under warranty and it took over three months for the dealer to source a new one (out of stock and out of production). That was around four years ago. Good luck.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,007 Posts

The 08+ wheel doesn't have stocking issues... the 05-07 wheels are the ones that are impossible to obtain.

A new wheel comes with new switches as part of the wheel but you can swap in your own ones from your current wheel. This makes it so that you could possibly find a cheaper heated wheel that had different options (like without Adaptive Cruise) than you do and just use your buttons.

----------

there is a thread on the SRX side of the site that mentioned that they had a bad ground from the heater module inside the bottom of the wheel that was able to fix their heater.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac XTS, Former 09 STS and 07 CTS
222 Posts

I am having the same problem as soon as uncle sam gives me my tax refund I am going a new wheel installed.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
2 Posts
About a year ago, a member posted that his heated wheel was replaced by a dealer that required the old wheel as a core exchange. That leads me to believe there is at least one group refurbishing STS steering wheels. Given the number of failures reported here, it does seem like the cost & demand are both high enough to justify the effort.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
That was me ... part of me wonders if the dealer was just being a dick about it and didn't want me to keep the part.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Lol well I know I got a new wheel as the leather was fresh and almost had a furry look to it and the service contract company was bitching about how could I know the heated wheel didn't work when it was August (still got into the 70s during the day and the 30s at night).

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
2 Posts
Luda - You know them. I don't.

As a person who looks at thing from the technical side, I'd sure like the opportunity to open-up a failed heated steering wheel. Maybe that shop manager or a senior tech felt the same urge. More likely, GM wants to prevent a refurb market.

I know a leather shop that would charge about $30 to remove/replace the leather at the stitching. It's a family business and the son is now running it. He said that with the right needles, leatherwork isn't all that hard. (Of course, he grew up watching Mom, Dad, Uncles & Aunts doing shoes, boots, saddles, Harley gear, etc.)

Once inside, I figure replacing the element wouldn't be an impossible task but I don't recall a post from a member trying it.

While I'm interested, I hope I don't become that member!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts