Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS Platinum
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya!

I believe that I am facing automatic transmission failure soon (weak shifts) and would like to know if the transmission can be removed without removing the engine at the same time?

It looks like the engine and transmission must come out as one assembly through the bottom of the vehicle.

Any actual experience on a CTS or STS transmission replacement would be greatly appreciated.:yup: :)

I have replaced transmissions on older vehicles such as my 1997 Chevrolet C1500 1/2 ton Pick-Up & my 4WD 1994 Yukon Diesel but that was like a cinch compared to what my 2008 Cadillac STS looks like! Everything is really spaced tightly & I have big paws!:)

Pretty sure that I would need a dealership-style lift to get the car adequately supported and up high enough.
I have looked at the Rotary brand lifts and similar.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers!

Max in FL
2008 Cadillac STS Platinum with 3.6L LLT Engine
(6L50 transmission)

It would be great if this car came with a Manual Transmission - I drive it like its manual anyway..

·
Registered
None
2 Posts
Not so sure about the 2008, but I just completed R&R on my 2006 STS-AWD. Was able to get it out and back on garage floor without lift, and by myself. It's a pretty big job but it is doable. Did not pull motor. After removing the upper intake and removing thermostat housing you can get to upper trans bolts (4) from top side. Pulled exhaust, drive shafts, wiring, starter, unbolt fly wheel then lower bolts and drop her. Getting on jack under car to reinstall was a joy (again alone) but I got her back in without much struggle. Bad converter on mine as the famous torque converter shudder took over. Best of luck and remember, it's worth paying yourself the thousand or two for a few days work and that is if you do it alone as I had to!

·
Registered
2006 STS-4 V6
11 Posts
I have a limited number of tools and I just want to know do I need any special tools to try to do the transmission

·
Registered
1998 deville, 2000 sls, 2006 CTS-V, 2001 STS, 2007 STS V8
440 Posts
You need a lift and a trans jack. I usually lower the cradle. Pretty much impossible without a lift. No special tools besides some extensions and swivel sockets. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2007 cadillac cts 3.6l i blew the engine im swapping it to the 2009 engine so far everything is good i just bought a new torque coverter for the engine but i got the 2007 model and looking at it it only has 3 bolting spots but on the 2009 there are 6 bolt spots will that make a difference cause im putting the 09 engine in my 07 car eith the 5l40e transmission and the 09 engine is an ly7 just the fly wheel is different should i get the 07 flywheel on the 09 engine or is it okay if i just bold the 3 spots on an not the 6 sorry if this is confusing thanks in advance for the help dealer ship told me most of this wasnt possivle with the 09 engine but i got this far

1 - 5 of 5 Posts