Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2008 STS awd with a blown engine. In your expert opinions would you

A - purchase a crate 4.6
B- buy an available used 4.6 with 70k miles
c- rebuild the engine in the car

I would like to make the car as fast as I can with the budget I have. Do you recommend headers or turbo or both?
When it comes to after market exhaust, what is the best option? I had Banks in my last vehicle and loved it but am open to suggestions.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
715 Posts
Aftermarket exhausts are limited to Borla and Corsa, and I think at least one of those are discontinued, your other option is a custom exhaust. Headers would have to be custom, will be expensive and a nightmare to install. At least a tune will be required with a turbo, and that will be an expensive project. Basically the only advantage your car has over an STS-V is the AWD, so the only reason you should keep it is if the AWD is a must have, if it isn't then you should pick up a V.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aftermarket exhausts are limited to Borla and Corsa, and I think at least one of those are discontinued, your other option is a custom exhaust. Headers would have to be custom, will be expensive and a nightmare to install. At least a tune will be required with a turbo, and that will be an expensive project. Basically the only advantage your car has over an STS-V is the AWD, so the only reason you should keep it is if the AWD is a must have, if it isn't then you should pick up a V.
Good advice , many thanks!

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
715 Posts
No problem at all, I've been looking into upgrades for some time and they are essentially all custom & expensive at best and a total waste of time at worst. Don't get me wrong, I will get some tuning done, and I'm also curious about headers & turbocharging, but I think the best option for forced induction will be of the TorqAmp variety. Some people may knock the idea of the electric turbo/supercharger, but the TorqAmp ones seem pretty legitimate and have been shown to have good potential.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem at all, I've been looking into upgrades for some time and they are essentially all custom & expensive at best and a total waste of time at worst. Don't get me wrong, I will get some tuning done, and I'm also curious about headers & turbocharging, but I think the best option for forced induction will be of the TorqAmp variety. Some people may knock the idea of the electric turbo/supercharger, but the TorqAmp ones seem pretty legitimate and have been shown to have good potential.
Interesting angle, after thinking it over for about 15 seconds I am on board with your TorqAmp idea... as opossed to custom fabricating headers and slapping them on “Jimmy
Rig” style... Another factor to run past you. If I am to keep the AWD aspect of the whip, and tune it which is a 100% chance, whether it be a supercharger/turbo, custom headers or NOS,
Will the factory equipment be able
To handle the increase made by the added ponies and torque? Timing chain right down the line.
any thoughts there?

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
215 Posts
Interesting angle, after thinking it over for about 15 seconds I am on board with your TorqAmp idea... as opossed to custom fabricating headers and slapping them on “Jimmy
Rig” style... Another factor to run past you. If I am to keep the AWD aspect of the whip, and tune it which is a 100% chance, whether it be a supercharger/turbo, custom headers or NOS,
Will the factory equipment be able
To handle the increase made by the added ponies and torque? Timing chain right down the line.
any thoughts there?
I would say it would be able to handle the extra 75 or so HP, beyond that it would get iffy, and you would upgrade whatever breaks. I know the V has a stronger transmission and I think the differential is also. As well as bigger brakes/cooling systems etc. Like Aeg says, custom headers would get expensive. My STS already has some Gibson mufflers, it sounds about perfect I think and so do my car buddies. NOS would probably be the quickest way to get that 75.

If you want a low 13s STS, get a V. If you are content with mid to maybe a 14.0 1/4 mile time at about 100MPH, you can achieve that with the Northstar. I changed my 2.73 gears to 3.23, got a tune from a local guy, last summer she ran 7 times at the dragstrip on a warm summer evening and had a couple 14.4 runs at 99MPH, the others were all 14.5-6 at 95. I have RWD, so it is about 200? lbs lighter than the AWD cars. Had good launches, not much wheel spin. Not bad for a 3950 lb car, really. I don't fear stock Chrysler 300s or Dodge Chargers/Challengers with their 5.7 Hemi. Or even the mid 2000s Mustangs.

More power is always nice. I was looking at camshaft options for my 68 LeMans this morning, lol.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
715 Posts
In my opinion, the system is built to handle a good amount more power than is actually offered, but I don't know what that maximum amount is. Could it handle up to 400 hp? Maybe, maybe not.
Two of the TorqAmp units will probably be a necessity, fortunately an intercooler is not required as the intake air temps will still be relatively low, but I believe you can use one for a slight drop in intake air temps which will give you some power, but good luck setting up an intercooler in this car LoL.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
The quickest way to faster times is to reduce weight.Gut the interior and throw away the seats and everything else that will unscrew.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts