Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While going at higher rates of speed (nothing above 80mph), my car seems to be slipping a little bit. I can’t tell if it’s a cruise control issue, a fuel filter or injector, shoddy gasoline, a timing belt about to go, or what unknown horror that awaits me, but I figured I’d run it past you guys first. By the way, the car has been maintained and well cared for, has 95K miles, and I have no reason to believe they’d hide some problem at a dealership... (sardonic joke, I know) anyway, I look forward to seeing your replies. Thanks & have an extraordinary night & day.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sounds like the transmission.
Check the fluid level and color..
Also check the TCM.
Having the codes checked..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His description of the issue did not appear to be a tran slip, esp with the shoddy gas comment...I wonder if the means misfire.
Yeah it could be a misfire but it’s a sputter-like reaction to accelerating up a prolonged incline at higher speeds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His description of the issue did not appear to be a tran slip, esp with the shoddy gas comment...I wonder if the means misfire.
I will check the trans fluid immediately because I’ve had other vehicles with far more intense “slipping” moments and it was a dying transmission with little to no fluid.

·
2004 Deville base
287 Posts
Does the rpm change much?
Steady is probably ok, a few hundred more with more load/hill/etc.
Hunting/searching/sputter not ok.

Missing/fuel/ignition should not cause rpm change unless it is bad enough to take the trans out of lockup or downshift...most noticeable on a slight hill/cruise control on.
This can have a 'sweet spot'... No rpm change/constant shudder, a bit worse and and you can have repeated downshifting due to speed variation.
It is different than trans trouble...but

It can be really hard to tell wtf it is.
Best to eliminate tune/fuel before big driveline bills.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, you can say that again. I’ll have to take it out on the highway again and make note of the RPM, but again I think it’s just a cruise control / sweet spot issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will check the trans fluid immediately because I’ve had other vehicles with far more intense “slipping” moments and it was a dying transmission with little to no fluid.
Yessir, you are correct. My last vehicle suffered from these symptoms and it was one thing after another with that transmission. It’s just remarkable that a 1995 Aerostar & a 2008 Cadillac SRX4 would have the same gd problem, but such is life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts