Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS, 2010 CTS4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased My 2008 STS a few months ago and it only had 1 Key Fob with it. It has the key in it but the housing for the fob is Cracked. I purchased another Fob on Ebay without a key in it in hopes I could use it instead of my original. However when I try to go through the learn Process, (Insert Key and cycle it 5 times) I can not get it to go in to the learn Fob Process. I have tried this Several times. Ive tried to cycle slow, fast, Left, Right. Ive had the Original fob in the Center console in the Learn location while trying to cycle the key. None of it seems to work. Is there something in the door that could be broken not allowing it to register the key turns?

other then this issue I have All functions with the Fob, just wanted to add another.

·
Registered
2005 STS N* 1SF
426 Posts
For the broken fob case you can just buy the case and transfer the guts into it. I need to re read the learn process to see if you are missing something.

·
Registered
2008 STS, 2010 CTS4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about doing that Vraatzii. I should have done more reaserch before I purchased this Fob. But I would like to be able to Add another without going to the Stealrships.

·
Registered
2005 STS N* 1SF
426 Posts
When I got mine, I only got one fob with it. I bought a used fob off ebay and did the total erase and reprogram so they would be #1 & #2. So both would have remote start function. And did not have to go to dealer. I'll look up the relearn in a few and see if I can help you out.

·
Registered
2005 STS N* 1SF
426 Posts
Each Keyless Access System is coded to allow only transmitters programmed to your vehicle to work. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be purchased and programmed through your GM dealer. Your GM dealer can reprogram your vehicle so lost or stolen transmitters no longer work with your vehicle. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four transmitters matched to it.

To match a new transmitter to your vehicle when you have a recognized transmitter, do the following. Two recognized transmitters are required for Canadian owners.

The vehicle must be off.
Have the recognized transmitter and the new, unrecognized transmitter(s) with you.
Insert the vehicle key into the key lock cylinder located on the outside of the driver's door.
Turn the key to the unlock position five times within five seconds.
The Driver Information Center (DIC) will display READY FOR FOB #X, where X can be 2, 3 or 4.

Place the new, unrecognized transmitter into the transmitter pocket with the transmitter buttons facing the front of the vehicle. The transmitter pocket is inside the center console storage area located between the driver and front passenger seats.
Once the transmitter is programmed, a beep will sound. The DIC will display READY FOR #X, where X can be 3 or 4, or MAX # FOBS LEARNED.
Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press the unlock button on the keyless access transmitter two times.
The Canadian immobilizer standard requires Canadian owners to see their GM dealer for matching new transmitters when a recognized transmitter is not available. United States Owners are permitted to match a new transmitter to their vehicle when a recognized transmitter is not available. The procedure will require three, ten minute cycles to complete the matching process. Do the following:

The vehicle must be off.

Place the new, unrecognized transmitter into the transmitter pocket with the transmitter buttons facing the front of the vehicle. The transmitter pocket is inside the center console storage area located between the driver and front passenger seats.
Insert the vehicle key into the key lock cylinder located on the driver's door.
Turn the key to the unlock position five times within five seconds.
The DIC message will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
Press the ACC button (ignition switch).
The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will count down to zero, one minute at a time.
The DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN again.
Press the ACC button (ignition switch) again.
The DIC will again read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will count down to zero, one minute at a time.
The DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN again.
Press the ACC button (ignition switch) again.
The DIC will again read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will count down to zero, one minute at a time.
A beep will sound and the DIC will read READY FOR FOB #1. At this time, all previously known transmitters have been erased.
Once the transmitter is recognized and programmed, a beep will sound and the DIC will display READY FOR FOB #2.
Remove the keyless access transmitter and press the unlock button twice to initialize it.
If you have additional transmitters to program, this process can be repeated until four transmitters have been programmed. The DIC will then display MAX # FOBS LEARNED and will exit the programming mode.

When you are done programming transmitters, press the unlock button on each keyless access transmitter twice. After performing this process, transmitters previously programmed will no longer work with your vehicle and must be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
2008 STS, 2010 CTS4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the reply. I did find all 3 ways to program a Fob, but for some reason the car won't recognise the 5 turns of the key. I read another post from awhile back from someone who seemed to have the same issue with it not going in to learn mode. He took it to the Dealer and they wanted 1000$ to replace the module and new fobs. For 1000$ I will learn to deal with the 1 Fob. My question was about the door lock recognising the key turns. And was hoping somewhere a long the line someone had this issue and figured it out on their own.

·
Registered
2008 STS, 2010 CTS4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fixed this yesterday, I pulled the door panel and found the rod that connects to the sensor on the latch, disconnected. I reconnected it (almost looked like it was disconnected intentionally because the clip was open) and it worked perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,014 Posts
I fixed this yesterday, I pulled the door panel and found the rod that connects to the sensor on the latch, disconnected. I reconnected it (almost looked like it was disconnected intentionally because the clip was open) and it worked perfectly.
Ain't it great to be a success.

·
Registered
2008 STS V
29 Posts
Hello, I have a 2008 STS-V with 2 Fobs. One works great and remembers all of my personal settings and is associated with Driver 1 in the Config menu. I can remote start car with Fob #1 if that means something. This Fob #1 is a bird in the hand.
Fob #2 will not save any of my personal settings no matter how saved in Config Driver 1 or 2. The car will start with this Fob #2 so the car knows this Fob. I did replace batteries in both Fobs and no change in symptoms.
I went through the procedure for programming in the attached quote above with a known Fob and I thought unknown Fob. When I place Fob #2 into the pocket in the console, it says known Fob, please place Fob #4 in pocket. I only have two Fobs and they are recognized.
Question is: how can I start over to have my known good Fob as #1 and the backup Fob as #2, and functional ie remember my personal settings.

Johnny

·
Registered
2008 STS V
29 Posts
Hello, I have a 2008 STS-V with 2 Fobs. One works great and remembers all of my personal settings and is associated with Driver 1 in the Config menu. I can remote start car with Fob #1 if that means something. This Fob #1 is a bird in the hand.
Fob #2 will not save any of my personal settings no matter how saved in Config Driver 1 or 2. The car will start with this Fob #2 so the car knows this Fob. I did replace batteries in both Fobs and no change in symptoms.
I went through the procedure for programming in the attached quote above with a known Fob and I thought unknown Fob. When I place Fob #2 into the pocket in the console, it says known Fob, please place Fob #4 in pocket. I only have two Fobs and they are recognized.
Question is: how can I start over to have my known good Fob as #1 and the backup Fob as #2, and functional ie remember my personal settings.

Johnny
Is it possible to take both recognized Fobs and reprogram them as described above for unknown Fobs?

Johnny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts