Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 ESV Platinum, and when I purchased the vehicle I had the dealer switch out the stock tires with 20" Michelin LTX Mud/Snow tires (a suggestion from this forum). I have a very steep driveway that gets a fair amount of snow and ice in the winter and needed tires with a better grip. I want to purchase a 2008 ESV with the Luxury Package which comes with either the 18" or 22" chromed aluminum wheels. I have a few concerns about the 22s. Are the stock tires "grippy" enough? Are the 22s going to give me a comfortable ride compared to the 18s?

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
Well I haven't heard many complaints about the ride of the new Escalades, even with 22s. They come from the factory with 285/45-22 Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's. The factory 18s are 265/65-18 Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II. One problem you'd run into if you want different tires is that there isn't a lot of options in those sizes yet. I live in Michigan, and there are a number of new Escalades in my area that run through the winter on stock tires without complaints as of yet.

I should mention the Bridgestone Dueler HL would be a nice change in the 18" size, the Dueler HL has better snow traction ratings than the H/T.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,741 Posts
I took the 18 chromes just for that reason. I did not think the 22s would cut it (here in Michigan). If it is a serious concern, you should get the 18s IMHO.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
I took the 18 chromes just for that reason. I did not think the 22s would cut it (here in Michigan). If it is a serious concern, you should get the 18s IMHO.
I second that, or you can do what I've seen a handful have, and get a truck that has the 18's on it and just get a set of GM Accessory 20" wheels through the dealer, and then use the same tires on those that you did on your Platinum.

That way you get something a little larger than the 18's, a choice of style you like, still OEM, and not as large and thin as the 22's can be.

·
Registered
Cadillac
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm definitely leaning toward the 18s with a better set of tires put on by the dealer. I also like the idea of the OEM accessory 20's. I've been through the drill of having the dealer give me a different set of tires, but not changing out the wheels. Does anyone know what kind of credit you get for the 18's that come with the Luxury Package when replacing them with accessory 20's? Is there any issue with putting a different size set of wheels that what was installed at the factory? Should I be concerned about brakes or any other systems/devices that are calibrated at the factory?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
The stock 18" or 22" tires both are poor for traction, I have 22's and 18's for both of my 07's, on the stock chrome 18" wheels I have Bridgestone Revo's 275/65/18 for the winter, I pull a large snowmobile trailer and spend time a lot of time in upstate NY and Canada, I have driven thru 3-4 feet on snow several times. I change to the 18's around Thanksgiving and then the 22's go back on in early April. If you only want one set of wheels and tires get the Revo's on the stock 18's, they ride great on the highway, and are super in the snow and water. :) 18's do ride smoother than 22's, I know from having both. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I finally traded in my 05 Platinum ESV and picked up an 08 ESV with the Luxury Package that has the 18" chrome wheels. When I asked the dealer about the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, they said they were not the manufacturer specified tire size. The owner's manual also states you should get OEM spec tires when replacing the original tires. Looks like the Revos are a 275 width vs. the 265, will this really cause any problems, looks like its about 4 tenths of an inch wider? Any issue with the tire pressure monitors? What about the spare?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
OK, I finally traded in my 05 Platinum ESV and picked up an 08 ESV with the Luxury Package that has the 18" chrome wheels. When I asked the dealer about the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, they said they were not the manufacturer specified tire size. The owner's manual also states you should get OEM spec tires when replacing the original tires. Looks like the Revos are a 275 width vs. the 265, will this really cause any problems, looks like its about 4 tenths of an inch wider? Any issue with the tire pressure monitors? What about the spare?
I use 275/65/18 Revo's on both 07's in the winter, the 275/65/18 is the same overall diameter as the stock 22's, they are 3/8" wider than the stock 265/65/18's but 3/4" narrower than the stock 22's. They work just great, the pressure sensors also work fine, just like stock. These are what you want. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hcvone,

I ordered the Revo's and have an appt. to put them on this Friday. Looks like they only come in the raised white lettering vs. a black sidewall option. Not crazy about raised white lettering, and the tire man said they could just flip them around and put the white lettering on the inside. Is that what you did? How do they look on the truck?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT
670 Posts
Carl turned me on to the Revos when I had my 04 and I think they're the best tires I ever had.. summer or winter.
I put the lettering on the inside. :yup:

I ran them all year round. They're quiet and ride great.

The tires look great,..Tough looking .. :)

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
hcvone,

I ordered the Revo's and have an appt. to put them on this Friday. Looks like they only come in the raised white lettering vs. a black sidewall option. Not crazy about raised white lettering, and the tire man said they could just flip them around and put the white lettering on the inside. Is that what you did? How do they look on the truck?
I have white letters to the inside so you do not see them. Here is a pix

1 - 12 of 12 Posts