Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this weekend, while just opening the doors on my truck, both the driver side rear and the passenger side front door handles broke. It appears that there is the side where the handle actually pulls the hinge or whatever so that the door opens... that side was sturdy and fine, but the other side, on both of these handles just ripped out of the door.

In looking at it, it appears that it was just plastic that held this door handle in place and the tabs or whatever broke off. What a POS?! To think I was worried about needing to put an alarm on the car so that someone wouldnt smash my windows and steal the car. Hell, all they have to do is pull hard on the door handle and it will come off?:mad:

Has anyone else had this issue? Has GM issued a recall and will they actually fix or make stronger this part?

I am VERY disappointed and embarassed by the quality.

:rant2:

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I have read on other Forums that thiefs been getting into trucks this way with a rubber hammer, they hit the handle and get in to steal things inside, a few have been caught. Rocco broke his rear handle off a while back. :(

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Actually, there have been several reports of broken door handles on these trucks; I believe there was another thread on this recently. Denali's and Tahoe LTZ's with the chrome door handles are also having this problem. Seems to me that GM should consider a recall, because every report I've seen mentions plastic tabs breaking. :(

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
211 Posts
Yep, here is the other thread on this (there are others, I think, also). Just a plastic post with a screw on that side. When I took mine in they were not surprised, had several in stock and put the new one on in 30 minutes. They are good at replacing them, it seems.

·
Banned
Cadillac
89 Posts
Well this weekend, while just opening the doors on my truck, both the driver side rear and the passenger side front door handles broke. It appears that there is the side where the handle actually pulls the hinge or whatever so that the door opens... that side was sturdy and fine, but the other side, on both of these handles just ripped out of the door.

In looking at it, it appears that it was just plastic that held this door handle in place and the tabs or whatever broke off. What a POS?! To think I was worried about needing to put an alarm on the car so that someone wouldnt smash my windows and steal the car. Hell, all they have to do is pull hard on the door handle and it will come off?:mad:

Has anyone else had this issue? Has GM issued a recall and will they actually fix or make stronger this part?

I am VERY disappointed and embarassed by the quality.

:rant2:
typical GM quality, sorry to hear this happened to you. But that is how GM operates :banghead:

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
You guys should try buying other manufacturers cars/trucks, it's not GM, it's all manufacturers and not just cars, boats and snowmobiles and even new homes are all included, things are made to be "just strong enough", and when you push it things break, we expect better, and many times the higher price you pay to believe you are getting better quality just simply is not true. :(

·
Registered
Cadillac "08" Escalade
59 Posts
Something is fishy about GM making door handles that break so easily on the number one stolen truck in the country. . .think about it, everytime a Escalade is stolen GM makes another sale

Don't get me wrong I Love my Lade, but it is what it is

·
Banned
Cadillac
89 Posts
Something is fishy about GM making door handles that break so easily on the number one stolen truck in the country. . .think about it, everytime a Escalade is stolen GM makes another sale

Don't get me wrong I Love my Lade, but it is what it is
GM needs to do what it will never do and that is to build cars the way the rest of the world does, GM vehicles are poorly made...simple as that...All you need is a rubber mallet to hit the handle and you're in...

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
GM needs to do what it will never do and that is to build cars the way the rest of the world does, GM vehicles are poorly made...simple as that...All you need is a rubber mallet to hit the handle and you're in...
You can get into any car by pushing the lock set in with a flat head screwdriver, it's not a GM thing, and any locksmith can get into any lock within seconds, car or home. GM builds cars like the ZR1 that is superior to just about anything on the earth in performance, at a fraction of what most would charge. ;)

·
Registered
Cadillac "08" Escalade
59 Posts
You can get into any car by pushing the lock set in with a flat head screwdriver, it's not a GM thing, and any locksmith can get into any lock within seconds, car or home. GM builds cars like the ZR1 that is superior to just about anything on the earth in performance, at a fraction of what most would charge. ;)

Tell the author of this thread that GM is without fault for engineering a plastic door handle that self destructs before it one year anniv.

This is unacceptable for a $70K vehicle

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Tell the author of this thread that GM is without fault for engineering a plastic door handle that self destructs before it one year anniv.

Things break, I have two of these trucks that are over 2 years old and mine have not broken. Give the GM bashing a break, makes no one feel any better.

·
Registered
2007 EXT
114 Posts
Great! Someone starts a thread about broken door handles and bam! mine breaks the next day. I've come to accept plastic door handles since seeing them on expensive German autos but damn, do they have to be this fragile? I really don't think these components meet the minimum acceptable standards for auto manufacture, let alone lux autos. GM's loosing a $bil/month so I guess they've got to cut corners everywhere they can. What's next, a bungee cord and cleat?

·
Banned
Cadillac
89 Posts

Exactly, I went to Motor trends message board and there are numberous topics on the poor Escalade quality. There is a topic on the Escalade handles, apparently they are breaking off very easily alot of owners have complained about the quality.

That being said I have to drive my 1995 Nissan Maxima with 145,000 miles on it when my 2008 Escalade has been in and out the shop.Which has now been every 2 weeks, actually I have had it out of the shop for a little longer now, i have to take it in next week because now my backup camera has failed. 900 miles and I have basically replaced everything except the motor and the rear end. The maxima has never broken down on me, never given any problems.No loose door handles , no sqeaks, AC blows as cold as the day I bought it. (I bought it brand new in 95) GM needs to build vehilces the rest of the world does.

I had to replace the rear main seal on my Escalade, that is when I found out that GM still uses OHV engines. When the service manager was explaining go me what they had to do and brought up the engine design. I thought he said the wrong thing and I asked him about the engine, he told me in so many words that they continue to use those engines to save money. More moving parts mean a larger propensity to break down. My escalade is such a dissapointment for the money that I'm paying for it. I'm getting out of it hopefully by the end of the year.

·
Banned
Cadillac
89 Posts
Great! Someone starts a thread about broken door handles and bam! mine breaks the next day. I've come to accept plastic door handles since seeing them on expensive German autos but damn, do they have to be this fragile? I really don't think these components meet the minimum acceptable standards for auto manufacture, let alone lux autos. GM's loosing a /month so I guess they've got to cut corners everywhere they can. What's next, a bungee cord and cleat?

I think we would have been better off if Toyota had built the Escalade for GM. Sorry about your door handles...so far that is the only thing to not break on my Escalade...but everything else has..

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade EXT
13 Posts
Yep, the same thing happened to my 07 ext, front & back handles came right off. Fortunately, the dealer changed them under warranty.

Take it easy on your truck, GM is not what it used to be...

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I think we would have been better off if Toyota had built the Escalade for GM. Sorry about your door handles...so far that is the only thing to not break on my Escalade...but everything else has..
If Toyota built it would be real junk.
Please go to the Toyota Forum since it seems you like their cars/trucks
Thread closed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.