Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Escalade ESV with 148k miles. Impeccably maintained, however the other day traction control and stabilock lights came on sluggish driving. Turned off turned back on and nothing lights went off. Took to dealer codes were indicating an internal motor issue with no 7 cylinder low compression due to worn out piston ring. They took of the heads to check the valves. They seemed ok per tech. Computer had picked up multiple misfires on that cylinder. They are recommending a new motor rather than repair the single piston. Cost for repair was 6500 for single piston with 12 mos 12k mole warranty or new motor for 7300.00 with3 year 100k miles. I have opted for the later but am wondering how this happened and why is this so expensive. If anyone has any experience or suggestions for this scenario please let me know via email or this forum. I would appreciate any insight on this matter. It would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Vman

·
Registered
DHS, 2007 ESV
241 Posts
A used engine from a salvage yard is around $3200. A new piston is $150 max, and gaskets probably $400 max, so they are charging $6000 labor to replace a piston. What's their labor rate? Even at $125 per hour, it doesn't take 48 hours labor to do this, especially for a professional $125hour certified technician. Eesh....

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Wow, first I've heard of a piston ring failing, I've repaired low compression due to valves not sealing but no piston ring issues yet, i know cyl 7 is related to the pcv system as well, it sucks that the single cyl repair is close to the engine replacement, kinda forces you to go with the engine replacement

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
$7300 for a base 6.2L ?
You could have gotten a built 427 stroker for $1200 more, then sold your heads for $800 to offset the cost difference, leaving you at $400.
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-307-tsp-427-or-429-cid-ls3l99lsa-long-block.aspx

Well whatever the case, you should ask for your old engine back. Even with a blown piston ring, there are a lot of people that will pay big big money for an 07+ 6.2L.

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Yeah i agree hopefully the core charge isn't too much

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
Does GM charge core fees for crate engines? I didn't think they did, but may be wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts