Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the alternator on my 2008 DTS. Has anyone taken this out the bottom? Just curious if it was easier than removing everything and taking it out the top.
Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
No more Cadillacs
680 Posts
I replaced the alternator on my 05 Deville, it looks very similar to my 06 and '10 DTS's. The radiator and a/c condenser do NOT have to come out, just the fans. Now, on my 05, to get the fans out I had to remove the lower radiator hose, so I had to drain. But with the radiator support and fans out, there looks to be plenty of room like there was on my 05.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
Remove the upper tie bar. Remove the fans and position the radiator as far forward as the hoses will allow. Cover the radiator with a large piece of cardboard and proceed with removing alternator. Remember to disconnect the battery. Nothing has to be drained and the radiator can stay in the car. The fans will come out without removing hoses. But, it can be tricky if you are concerned you might break something it is probably better to remove the hoses you need to and not risk it. Also if you choose to remove the radiator anyway, the condenser can be separated from the radiator and the radiator removed separately without disturbing the A/C refrigerant system.

·
Registered
745 Posts
When you work flat rate time is money. It’s quicker to recycle the Freon and pull the rad, fans, and condenser all at once. A word of caution the bolts that hold the condenser are different lengths, if they go in the wrong place they will put a hole in the side tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts