Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son bought this car and the codes came in within miles of him driving off the used car lot he gets codes P0008 / P0017. Car has recently started running rough. Took it into local shop and he said get it to Cadillac and see if it is covered under recall/TSB. He has seen this on several other cars with this motor and its either the Crankshaft toner ring (reluctance wheel) or stretched timing chains. Both are expensive.

Anyone had any other resolutions that have fixed it? Crankshaft sensor maybe?

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
605 Posts
Codes are indicative of timing chains needing replacement, a common failing on these cars even with low mileage, and almost expected with high mileage. Cadillac did offer an extended warranty to address this issue on specific year VINs, however this expired 10 years from the in-service date of the vehicle, so it is unlikely that a 2008 would still be covered. You can verify at my.cadillac.com Hopefully the seller offered some sort of warranty even if only 30 days from purchase, otherwise the timing of the code presentation, within miles of driving off the lot, does not speak well for the trustworthiness of the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
these same codes are also associated with the crankshaft toner ring. I'm hoping Cadillac will help in some way. Appointment being made

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He sold it to my impatient son who did not follow simple instructions to NOT sign any paperwork or give any money until I had a chance to hook up my scanner and look for codes. He did it all before I got there because he said dealer kept telling him another buying was coming for the car and showed him some paperwork for a deal on the car. I told him that's the oldest trick in the books.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
8,224 Posts
He sold it to my impatient son who did not follow simple instructions to NOT sign any paperwork or give any money until I had a chance to hook up my scanner and look for codes. He did it all before I got there because he said dealer kept telling him another buying was coming for the car and showed him some paperwork for a deal on the car. I told him that's the oldest trick in the books.
That is a collection of unfortunate events.
Your son learned an important lesson today (hopefully) and once again, dad was right.
Something tells me you're not super happy about being correct though.

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
327 Posts
Long got it right. The codes were cleared by the dealer to make the sale. It only takes one cycle for those codes to come back. The bad news is that GM extended the warranty on these chains to 10 years and 120k miles: "This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership." The dealerfrom which your son purchased the car knew it was not covered. I would threaten to take them to court if they didn't give my money back pronto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Long got it right. The codes were cleared by the dealer to make the sale. It only takes one cycle for those codes to come back. The bad news is that GM extended the warranty on these chains to 10 years and 120k miles: "This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership." The dealerfrom which your son purchased the car knew it was not covered. I would threaten to take them to court if they didn't give my money back pronto.
We are in process of trying to get the money back

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,655 Posts
Yea no way the dealer didn't know that car was throwing those codes... He pulled a fast one over on a kid that didn't know better...

Hopefully you can get the money back for the car and never use that dealer again. Most states have a 7 day return for vehicles and other such laws that can cover a customer that gets a lemon. Just make sure you don't let the dealer give you the run around as these laws are specific about timing and effort.. Sometimes a simple call from a lawyer will get a dealer to jump through hoops to take care of the car one way or another. The dealer probably took it in on a trade in and trying to make money off it.

Rodney

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer said... Take me to court, it's past the 3 days Florida allows. I informed him I texted him of the issue not an hour after my son got the car home and he responded back to bring it in and he would have his mechanic look at it. So the issue was known and communicated to him within hours of the car being purchased. Additionally, all his mechanic did was change the oil/filter in car and reset the codes and declared success. I have sent the car to Cadillac for a complete print out of time stamping of codes so I have the proof before contacting an attorney.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
What a shyster that dealer is--Best of luck fighting this out.
Karma will have the final word.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Sure will, he might have some strange damage to his inventory
I see what you did there ^^^^
Feel free to drop the name of this "establishment" so others don't fall prey to their unsavory business practices.

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
327 Posts
Dealer said... Take me to court, it's past the 3 days Florida allows. I informed him I texted him of the issue not an hour after my son got the car home and he responded back to bring it in and he would have his mechanic look at it. So the issue was known and communicated to him within hours of the car being purchased. Additionally, all his mechanic did was change the oil/filter in car and reset the codes and declared success. I have sent the car to Cadillac for a complete print out of time stamping of codes so I have the proof before contacting an attorney.
This is the right way to go. If you can get the freeze frame data and demonstrate that the dealer cleared codes prior to the sale, I don't think there's a court that will side with them.

Good luck

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,086 Posts
Sure will, he might have some strange damage to his inventory
Don't return evil for evil. It's tempting, but usually you end up worse off in the end, the least of which is appearing to be a worse character than he is. The world has a way of making thieves pay for their transgressions and if you follow the proper channels, you might come out on top like I did, where purchase insurance I was not aware I was covered by, returned more than a third of the purchase price, taking care of the needed, but undisclosed repairs and some preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I believe the OP was using sarcasm when referring to damage to the dealer stock.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
Do rat out the dealer. I live in the, Sunshine State, too, and I don't want to meet this scumbag.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,086 Posts
I believe the OP was using sarcasm when referring to damage to the dealer stock.
I agree Long, but you know what happens if someone you say you would kill sarcastically, actually ends up dead shortly afterwards. The real possibility here is not knowing how much underhanded garbage this person is responsible for and whether or not he's already crossed the wrong person, who is actually out to retribute.

The OP did not say "Just kidding" (like comedians do when they've crossed the line, except for that qualifier), in order for us to infer with certainty, it's intended hyperbole. I guess I've been in the presence of too many people in my years, that would say things like that and then it would happen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts