Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Is there a way to fix the driver's side shutter on a 2008 Caddy CTS? I read that there has been an issue with the wiring to the solenoid that controls the high beam shutter on the CTS with HID Xeon bulbs. Any information or links would be great. Thanks!

PS: has anyone ever just found a way to switch out the headlight assemblies over to aftermarket housings with Halogen or other less expensive bulbs? The cost of a replacement headlight for HID/Xeon is hard to deal with on a retirement income!

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,409 Posts
You can find D1S bulbs for cheap on eBay or Amazon that will last for a while. My aftermarket bulbs lasted for 4+ years

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,503 Posts
Another member has successfully installed used halogen headlamp assemblies he bought from ebay. Hopefully he or someone else with firsthand experience will chime in. I don't recall if they were plug and play or required wiring mods. I do recall that you won't have DRLs but it's easy enough to turn the low beams on. Good luck.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,489 Posts
paying < $100 for bulbs every ten years or so really isn't bad. I'll take that over halogens any day especially since you have to take the whole front end of the car apart to change the bulbs.

Whatever money you save on cheaper bulbs will not make up for the time you have to spend changing those cheaper bulbs more often.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe RWD Black
175 Posts
Theres some cheap HID bulbs on Amazon. If you get 6000k they will be super nice and white.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,526 Posts
Theres some cheap HID bulbs on Amazon. If you get 6000k they will be super nice and white.

Not quite on the clarity, 5000k will be whiter in color transmitted, 6000k will have a bluish color to it (some like the appearance) and deliver less usable light than the stock 4300k with slight yellowish hue and 5000k. I have seen what must have been at least 6000k on a car driving past in the opposite direction, it was more of a distraction for me than an attraction, so I certainly wouldn't consider them for use on my own vehicle.

I'm about to disassemble my leaking HID lights to upgrade the stock frosted projector lenses to a clear lens, change the light bar led to 5000K and reseal and restore the outer lens clarity.
Thanks for your help on this Mullah88 and acstudios.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
11,156 Posts
Is there a way to fix the driver's side shutter on a 2008 Caddy CTS? I read that there has been an issue with the wiring to the solenoid that controls the high beam shutter on the CTS with HID Xeon bulbs. Any information or links would be great. Thanks!

PS: has anyone ever just found a way to switch out the headlight assemblies over to aftermarket housings with Halogen or other less expensive bulbs? The cost of a replacement headlight for HID/Xeon is hard to deal with on a retirement income!
Found this thread, still searching for an associated TSB...https://www.cadillacforums.com/foru...1003417-new-coupe-owner-headlight-issues.html

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe RWD Black
175 Posts
Not quite on the clarity, 5000k will be whiter in color transmitted, 6000k will have a bluish color to it (some like the appearance) and deliver less usable light than the stock 4300k with slight yellowish hue and 5000k. I have seen what must have been at least 6000k on a car driving past in the opposite direction, it was more of a distraction for me than an attraction, so I certainly wouldn't consider them for use on my own vehicle.

I'm about to disassemble my leaking HID lights to upgrade the stock frosted projector lenses to a clear lens, change the light bar led to 5000K and reseal and restore the outer lens clarity.
Thanks for your help on this Mullah88 and acstudios.
Damn you are right... gona order a set of 5000k bulbs also so I can compare which one I like.

Where did you get a non-frosted projector lens?
Can you post link to a source or part numbers... I'm about to take mine apart to paint inside and replace outer lens. I also want to brighten the light bar and maybe have it blink yellow with the turn signal instead of the normal turn signal.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,409 Posts
Damn you are right... gona order a set of 5000k bulbs also so I can compare which one I like.

Can you post link to a source or part numbers... I'm about to take mine apart to paint inside and replace outer lens. I also want to brighten the light bar and maybe have it blink yellow with the turn signal instead of the normal turn signal.

Thought about doing the led blink also but it would have been too much. Don't want to look like a Christmas tree with the oem blinkers, the halo blinking and then the led strip

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,526 Posts

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/lenses/black-series.html

Compliments of acstudios.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts