Cadillac Owners Forum banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
6 Posts
philanders said:
The only recall I'm aware of regarding the 2008 CTS And STS V6 engine is to re-program the engine control module to require more frequent oil changes. Cadillac has extended the timing chain for these models for 120,000 miles or 10 years after the car was placed in service which ever comes first. I have a 2008 STS and so far I've had no problems yet. Personally I'd like to know who many people in this forum have actually had timing chain problems. Please reply if you did.
I recently took my 2008 Cadillac CTS in for P0008 code and Cadillac took it in no problems

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac STS
19 Posts
The only recall I'm aware of regarding the 2008 CTS And STS V6 engine is to re-program the engine control module to require more frequent oil changes. Cadillac has extended the timing chain for these models for 120,000 miles or 10 years after the car was placed in service which ever comes first. I have a 2008 STS and so far I've had no problems yet. Personally I'd like to know who many people in this forum have actually had timing chain problems. Please reply if you did.
Philanders the Cadillac dealer replaced my 2008 STS 3.6 V6 DI engine timing chains at 60,000 miles several years ago, and today I brought it into the dealer for a P0008 & a P0017 code. The car has 104,600 miles on it now, and they called back and said the chains will need to be updated again, and the will be replaced free of charge with a free loaner car (2016 Cadillac ATS) during the time of the repair. I am happy that they are standing behind this 3.6L timing chain issue, but it worries me that the new chains may be the same quality as the last set of chains that were put in. Hoping for the best!

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac SRX (truck)
70 Posts
So, now the year is 2017, I'm just curious how many more instances of this timing chain problem have occurred. I have a 2008 SRX with the Northstar, it just died and got the DTC Codes for both CPS on each bank. I am going to tear into the engine and I will video document the process. I am just looking for any advice from you guys, since I am new to this forum, on what else needs to be replaced since I'm at it. Oh, and what is the deal with the recall? I always heard that Cadillac took care of their customers, I hope the senior officials of GM got nice stuff from the billions of dollars of taxpayers money they stole...

·
Registered
sts
34 Posts
Hi , I'm mostly hearing the 3.6 cadillac v6 having timing chain issues is this true or just certain years , it can't be all of them .

·
Registered
sts
34 Posts
Hi , I'm mostly hearing the 3.6 cadillac v6 having timing chain issues is this true or just certain years , it can't be all of them .

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)
511 Posts
I don't have specifics but... Before I got my current car I was shopping for a base model CTS. I was told to steer clear (yes pun intended) from the 3.6 engine. No specifics as to why... Nothing specific about the timing chain. At least for used/older cars, it was recommended to me that the 2.8 or if an early 3.2 can be found these were better engines. Maybe I just found out why...

161 - 166 of 166 Posts