Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 CTS with about 95,000 miles. Service Engine light went on.....It is the timing chain.

Dealer asked that I provide evidence that I have changed the oil. Ok, HUGE task....but I came up with proof for all but 3. I did them (always change the oil, but I can't find documentation).

Dealer stating since I can't prove all oil changes they need a GM rep to come to dealership and check to see if I have sludge in my engine. If I do...then they will have to assume I didn't change my oil and at that point I can pay to put the car back together (about $300) and deal with it myself or pay for the repair (about $2,000).

I asked to give me the night to find proof of the other 3. So far....no luck.

My question:
What are the chances that I will have sludge? I do change my oil within a few weeks of the change engine oil light. I have never missed one.

I'm going to be really annoyed if I have to pay for this repair because I can't find 3 oil changes from over the past 6 years!!

Any feedback on the topic would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
197 Posts
----------

[/COLOR]That sucks because i am a tech and change all my oil myself at work for free using mobile 1 including filter. But no record of it except marking it on my calender i can assure you it takes alot to get sludge in your engine so you should have no problems if so i would fight it.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
Re: 2008 CTS Timing Chain - Dealer not sure if special warrenty will cover repair....

Keep us posted. If warranty requires proof of maintenance work at every required interval, then very few would ever be covered. If there are any other dealers in you area you may want to remind them that you can bring your car to them for this work, along with all of your future business if they want to keep pushing you to produce 100k miles worth of oil change receipts. Even if not a Caddie dealership, many GM's have the 3.6 so you might be able to bring it to a different GM dealership.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
161 Posts
Does your vin fall under the special policy? Of you don't know pm me or post last 8 of vin I'll check. Next step call Cadillac customer care

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
Re: 2008 CTS Timing Chain - Dealer not sure if special warrenty will cover repair....

Did you do those three oil changes yourself, or at a shop? Most places can give you a printout of your service history if you ask.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
Another reason I send my oil change samples to an independent lab for analysis.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Wagon
214 Posts
I use the OnStar Oil life history - I shows when the oil has been changed, or rather when the Oil Sensor has been reset

·
Registered
2008 CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP UPDATE:
I was never able to prove the 3 missing oil changes. I gave them the go-ahead to take it apart. There was no sludge (thanks to all that reassured me with regular oil changes, I shouldn't have any). Repair is covered by special warranty.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
While it is total be that they put you thru this, of course they did the right thing by covering it...as they should. Good for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts