Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS, 2002 Ford F250 4X4 7.3 Diesel Crew Cab SB Lariat
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now our 2008 CTS will not start checked the starter relay that's good.
Change the starter.
The battery has good charge to it.
The ECM will not read on the OBD 2 reader.
All I get is the message ERROR.
Tried another ECM same problem.
Any one have any ideas.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,151 Posts
I'm sure you've tried this, but check the OBD reader on your truck just to make sure it is functioning properly.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
186 Posts
First, check all the fuses for the ECM and make sure they are good. A blown fuse would prevent the ECM from waking up. That would cause a loss of comm from the ECM. With the battery disconnected,, check the resistance between pin 6 and pin 14 of the ALDL connector. It should be around 60 ohms. If it is around 120 ohms that would indicate a broken wire in the bus. If it is less than 60 there is a short. If it is greater than 130 then there might be a broken wire to the ALDL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased a used ECM off Ebay are the ECM locked to a car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I end up ordering a ECM

·
Registered
2014 ELR
186 Posts
I wish you luck but keep your recept..
I have worked on vehicles since 1984, before the first ECM in a GM vehicle.
In all that time I have only seen one ECM that actually was bad. Even when replacing the ECM solves the problem it is most likely not the ECM that is at fault. It is either a bad wire or bad terminal in a connector. When yoh replace the "Bad ECM" you are just cleaning the bad connection by unplugging and re connectiong the connectors.
I woulf suggest you do that with your current ECM to see if it solves your problem.
You have also totally skipped over dozens of diagnostic tests and jumped right to replacing the most expensive part of the system. If you need more help let me know and I can send you diagnostic procedures.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish you luck but keep your recept..
I have worked on vehicles since 1984, before the first ECM in a GM vehicle.
In all that time I have only seen one ECM that actually was bad. Even when replacing the ECM solves the problem it is most likely not the ECM that is at fault. It is either a bad wire or bad terminal in a connector. When yoh replace the "Bad ECM" you are just cleaning the bad connection by unplugging and re connectiong the connectors.
I woulf suggest you do that with your current ECM to see if it solves your problem.
You have also totally skipped over dozens of diagnostic tests and jumped right to replacing the most expensive part of the system. If you need more help let me know and I can send you diagnostic procedures.
Please send me the trouble shooting information.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
186 Posts
Please send me the trouble shooting information.
Did you check the ECM fuses and measure the resistance of the CAN circuit in the ALDL connector as I posted? Start there first. Then you will want to locate the ECM ( Labled as #4 in this picture, the arrow on the left points to the front of the car) Once you fi d it you need to disconnect each of it's connectors, one at a time, look for corrosion on any of the pins or wires and then reconnect them. This will often times either solve your problem or show you a bad wire that needs fixed. The same thing that causes the scan tool to have the error is probably causing the no crank/no start problem. Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,125 Posts
good luck with your repair and hopefully you are up and running soon and the animal/pest problem doesn't return...as someone who had squirrels build a nest in the engine compartment of a Ford F-150 in the last year, I feel your pain...

Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car is running.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,151 Posts
Whereabouts in the engine bay was that harness connection?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Passenger side lower fire wall by cylinder head.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts