Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
08 CTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in new lowering springs years ago. I believe Eibachs. The ride has been rougher since but partially because of the new rims /small tires that are on it now. I know that is what to expect when changing ride height but I noticed the rear of the car is especially bouncy. The front is actually pretty good....tolerable.

My thoughts are the rear is either hitting the bump stops (if it has them) or the shocks are bottoming out. There is almost NO suspension in the rear. Can someone shed some light on this?
Are there bump stops or is this more involved like bump stops built into shocks?

I am thinking about putting in rear coilovers so I can adjust to my liking, get it just right. But maybe I just need to get slightly shorter bump stops.

Any advice is appreciated.

----------

Just took wheel off, no bump stops in the rear. Maybe shock is dead or bottoming out...or bump stop is built into the shock.
?

·
Registered
08 CTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have no idea. for the rear the spring is by itself and the shock is really long next to the spring. It goes up possibly near the trunk.
With coilovers it would seem weird to eliminate the spring and have the coilovers hold up the car where the shocks are mounted.

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
On the underside of the spare tire cover in the trunk there's a sticker that lists all the RPO codes that went into the building of your car. Look for FE1, FE2 or FE3. You should find one of them, which was installed in your car. FE1 is more softly suspension, the FE3 more stiff. If you had FE3 you may have a problem with replaced springs - e.g. Eibach noted that rear shocks should be also replaced for FE2 ones.

·
Registered
CTS Coupe
16 Posts
On the underside of the spare tire cover in the trunk there's a sticker that lists all the RPO codes that went into the building of your car. Look for FE1, FE2 or FE3. You should find one of them, which was installed in your car. FE1 is more softly suspension, the FE3 more stiff. If you had FE3 you may have a problem with replaced springs - e.g. Eibach noted that rear shocks should be also replaced for FE2 ones.
My cts coupe has no spare just the air pump and I don't see any sticker anywhere in the trunk. And other ideas where it would be?
Thx JerryS

·
Registered
CTS Coupe
16 Posts
No nothing under that cover.. nothing in the trunk. Also checked in the trunk is a battery (not sure what that battery is for?) and that cover also has nothing on the back of it? Not sure where else to check..:rant2:

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Jerry,

Have your dealer print out a copy of the RPO (Regular Production Options) for your VIN. The battery in your trunk is what starts your car (it's the only one in your car, there isn't one under the hood). Marv

·
Registered
CTS Coupe
16 Posts
Yep Went to the dealer today. They looked all over the car. Trunk,Glove Box,Firewall nothing. Then the manager came out and said they stopped making those labels back in 2011 ?? Go figure.
(tbbt) I never noticed no battery under the hood..DUH...
The dealer gave me a Vehicle build list... Thanks everybody for all the help!
Ho-Ho-Ho
JerryS

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
1,974 Posts
my 2014 wagon has the RPO codes on a sticker under the spare tire cover...they still put them there...perhaps yours was removed for some reason or came off??...I'll check mine but believe mine is attached at the bottom of the wheel well under the spare tire cover and spare and not the spare tire cover (lid)...

so your dealer gave you the RP list...which suspension did you have???

Bill

·
Registered
CTS Coupe
16 Posts
Suspension, Sport FE2 I'm thinking of putting H&R Sport springs on it to lower it an inch. But also thinking of Coilovers.
I just want it to be as smooth as it is now, only lower.
I also noticed on my Vehicle list it shows remote start but when I push the button on my FOB nothing happens?
Thanks,
JerryS

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
Expect much more stiff ride after spring replacement. As you wrote, they are sport springs.
To remote start you have to press lock once and then hold remote start for few seconds.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
1,974 Posts
Jerry,

When you want to use the remote start do this...lock the doors with the remote (even if they are already locked)...then push and hold the remote start button for a few seconds or until it starts...does this solve your remote start problem???...

I'm not sure you will be able to lower the ride AND keep it driving as smooth as it does now...hopefully more with this experience will chime in here...

whoops...don't know how I missed kkuz' explanation for remote start in his post...cheers!

Bill

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Jerry,

Posters report that coil overs are the way to go for a smoother ride. Your car won't drive as smooth as it does now, but much smoother than lowering springs. Do a search for coil overs on this site to read what they are saying. Marv

·
Registered
CTS Coupe
16 Posts
The Remote start is Working!! I wasn't locking the door before trying...You guys are genius's !!

From what I read on the internet/forum.. (Everything on the internet is true!) The Coil overs would be overkill since it has so many adjustments to it. And the springs are just slap em on and go. If I'd get a better ride and lowered that's the ultimate goal..

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The Remote start is Working!! I wasn't locking the door before trying...You guys are genius's !!

From what I read on the internet/forum.. (Everything on the internet is true!) The Coil overs would be overkill since it has so many adjustments to it. And the springs are just slap em on and go. If I'd get a better ride and lowered that's the ultimate goal..
Yes, everyone here is a genius! But so is your owners manual!!! It's a good idea not to mix thread/post contents. That makes searching for information difficult.

As far as lowering, I suggest that you use the Google Custom Search button at the top right of this page and see what people are saying once they've made the change.

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
Jerry,

Posters report that coil overs are the way to go for a smoother ride. Your car won't drive as smooth as it does now, but much smoother than lowering springs. Do a search for coil overs on this site to read what they are saying. Marv
That is a negative. I've had both the H&R and coilovers and the H&R rides a lot smoother due to minimal drop.

----------

Yes coilovers are adjustable, but in reality once you have the settings you like, you normally don't mess with the them again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts