Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am here at this site because I cannot find an answer anywhere else. I own a 2008 CTS AWD, automatice, 6 speed, with the sport mode (which I never use). I purchased the vehilce used with 52K. After about 5000 miles (which is about 4 weeks for me, I drive an average of 50K a year) a shaft shattered in both the transmission and transfer case. This is what I was told by the Cadillac dealer that rebuilt the transmission. It was all covered under warrentee. Today I sit with my CTS transmission being rebuilt again, almost two years to the day and 90K later.

Can anybody offer an explanation? I have searched car rating websites, and with the exception of the Timing Chains issue, the 2008 CTS gets high ratings, and I cannot find anyone that has had transmission problems.

I have owned over a dozen cars in 30 years. My last two have been CTS's. I had a 2005, with a 5 speed manual and this 2008. They are the two best cars I have owned as far as comfort and performance and both have had transmission issues.

I don't expect everything to last for ever, but I do not expect a transmission to need to be rebuilt twice. I am not a kid and I don't drive like one.

So my question is there an issues on Cadillac transmissions? I expect to get ride of my 2008 CTS, and replace it with another one, but I am not sure the quality is there.

·
Registered
2017 ATS Performance Premium Luxury Crystal White AWD 3.6DI
186 Posts
I am having a similar but weirder problem: Yesterday I stopped at a red light. Car was running just fine up to that point. When the light turned green, the car simply would not go anywhere. It finally started to move very slowly regardless of how much gas I gave it. Seems like it was stuck in 6th gear. It did start to pick up and I was able to get it to the speed limit, but the same problem occurred at the next light. (Cars honking at me.) I was about a mile from home, so I babied it and was barely able to make it. My driveway is on a slight incline and I couldn't even make it up the drive. I had to put the car in reverse and get up the drive that way.

I had it towed to the Cadillac dealer where it sits today. I haven't heard back from them about what it is. But it certainly sounds expensive. I have about 67,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
Did you both run into ANY other symptoms before it did that?

·
Registered
CTS4
600 Posts
Before my driveshaft failed , I'd have a really loud clunk p to d or r. Basically any combination of the three.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
Thanks guys. I asked because my CTS has gotten stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear once each in the past week but only in sport mode when i was driving like a nut. (not redlining but the RPMs were up there both times) Easy fix was to just shift up manually. Ive been reading other threads on it so it must be unrelated. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Just a thought, everyone knows that our cars have a module that collects all operating data, right?

So if you kill your car, take it to the dealer for repairs, they can determine what you were doing when it went bong! It's best not to abuse your car if you want warranty paid work.

Just my 2 cents, Marv

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ATS Performance Premium Luxury Crystal White AWD 3.6DI
186 Posts
Well, dealer says that transmission fluid lines were corroded and leaking resulting in low fluid and the trans sticking in 6th gear. They say there is no internal transmission damage. (although how they know that without taking it apart I don't know.) Just have to replace all the lines. ($650) Funny thing is that I haven't seen any fluid on my driveway. Will probably be getting it back tomorrow.

We will see.......

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
You must have taken it to Claude Nolan Cadillac!

J

·
0 Posts
I also own a 2008 CTS with AWD. Front differential has blown twice in the same year. Continues to make noises. Its a chronic problem with this car.

·
Registered
Too many cars to list...
191 Posts
Our 2010 CTS had leaky transmission lines at around 35k miles. I'm a bit of a car nut so I go over the car every time I service it which is about every 5 months or so. I noticed the leaky line during one of my services and called the dealer to have them replace those lines ASAP. Running the car low on trans fluid can burn it up. So far at 55k miles we have no transmission problems. Our issues seem to be radiator related -- as of today the car will be going on its 3rd radiator in 55k miles.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
457 Posts
I have to ask, so please don't take offense. OP, have you ever had the transmssion fluid and filter changed? It sound like your at abour 140K mies now. It should have been changed twice now and getting ready for a 3rd change based on the maintenance schedule. I guess the original replace/rebuild would ahve taken care of the first change, but 90K with no changes is likely a problem.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS4 & 2010 Cadillac CTS4 Sport Wagon
3 Posts
I just had this happen to my 2008 Cadillac CTS4 with 83,xxx miles. I started hearing an audible "clunk" coming from what I thought was the rear differential one day. I brought the car home and parked it in my driveway. Two (2) days later I drove the car into Otto Cadillac in Albany. When I pulled it into the service bay the service advisor got into the car and put it into drive. There was an audible "clunk," to which he said that it "sounded like the driveshaft was coming off." I left the car and went to get some lunch. Thirty (30) minutes later I got a call from an out of breath service advisor who told me that he had to push my car off of the road, because it would not move under its own power. He told me there was a buzzing ("zzzz") sound coming from the transmission. They diagnosed it as a stripped output shaft in the transmission and that both the transmission and transfer case would need to be replaced for about $6,400.00.

I am the second owner of the vehicle, which has been exclusively serviced at Cadillac dealers. The only warning the car gave me was the clunking noise, which happened for less than a day then "Boom," everything went when the car was not in my possession. I called Cadillac customer service and informed them of the situation along with the Technical Service Bulletin (No. 10-07-30-005A - No Forward or Reverse at Launch Grind Noise) who in turn contacted the dealer. Apparently this did not apply to my vehicle, even though it is the same exact problem outlined in the service bulletin. I have never heard the word "warranty," so many times. I'm sorry, but if the problem is the parts and/or manufacturing of the transmission then the "warranty," should have nothing to do with this problem.

My biggest problem is that my wife has a 2010 Cadillac CTS4 Sport Wagon and if this is a common problem (which it appears to be by searching this site) I would rather get rid of the vehicle before I incur another costly repair bill. I don't want to do this, but if Cadillac and GM will not stand behind their vehicles (regardless of year or mileage) then why would I keep them. So, I now owe more than this car is worth and I'm tacking on another $6,400.00 so I'll effectively owe twice what the car is worth.

Thanks Cadillac.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4 3.6DI Black Raven
191 Posts
Every symptom of car not moving when gas applied and barely going up the small incline, are the same thing I just went through. In my case the rear driveshaft that connects transmission to the shaft yoke bolts broke in half. Hopefully you are experiencing the same thing and the damage isn't terrible. The retainers and the bolts on the yoke need to be replaced with the updated design. My first thought was the transmission as well because they are so close to each other and transmission stops responding because there is no connection to the yoke anymore. I haven't heard any transmission issues with these cars and I hope no one has to deal with such problem, because its very expensive.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
604 Posts
TP the stripped output shaft issue should not require a completely new transmission and transfer case. Both can be rebuilt with the new design shaft. IIRC I've seen $1200 to $1800 quoted for the repair, and sometimes the dealer and/or GM will step in and offer a discount on the repair. There is also a thread on this forum where a member had the same issue and posted a ton of pics of the repair he completed himself.

·
Registered
CTS 2008 AWD
15 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my '08 CTS AWD. I baby my vehicles and understand what to, and not to do to keep all systems operating as designed. I crept up a steep incline. The car bucked and slipped going forward, so I turned and went back down where it bucked & stalled. Started right up. Now it lurches and has a front-end chatter between 1000 & 2000 rpm. Seems better at highway speed. This shouldn't happvehicle with less than < 70,000 miles. Something was scorched. Burnt oil odor showed twice since primary slippage event. I love the car. I hate major repairs to a drivetrain. Seems like they're right again.
Anyone with a similar experience who resolved easily, please drop a line here. Very disconcerting on such a nice car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2008 CTS AWDs drive shaft crapped at 67k miles. $3700 to repair the bastardized transmission GM originally pieced together using GMC truck components per my transmission man at Brownies in Beavercreek Ohio. They had to replace several good parts that didn't mate up with the replacement shaft. This is what GM won't fess up to and why these transmissions give out at low mileage. I complained to GM who said I should have taken it to a dealership...as if they would have been honest to do right by me. Brownies is GM certified and gave me the scoop on this dirty secret! My CTS runs well after putting on another 18,000 miles. (Except for the slight miss when the engine is cold that everyone says you can't get rid of.)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts