Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just trying to get some second opinions here from fellow Cadillac owners.

My 2008 Cadillac CTS AWD 3.6L DI w/ 111K miles died last week. I had the dreaded transfer case issue that is reported everywhere around here:
  • I had a few clicking noises when shifting into gear the days leading up to failure
  • The car made a thump at a red light and my car would not go into drive or reverse and would whine/grind when selecting any gear besides park
I took it to the nearest mechanic and they tell me it's the transfer case, but they don't work on those and referred me to a local transmission repair shop. This shop told me it would be around $1600 to rebuild the transfer case, however they mentioned that this could go up if they find more wrong with it.

My plan was to trade-in this car in a few months and get a 2018+ Cadillac XTS AWD (I've had two kids since getting the CTS and the extra room is nice), so this really has put a damper on my plans. The dealerships I have looked at cars are all over the place on what they'd give me for the trade-in, mostly from $500 to $1000. I had one dealer offer $3K, but they don't have any cars I'm interested in. I am limited to dealerships that are near the car because I don't want to get stuck towing it 50+ miles to trade it in.... I also looked at Carbrain and Peddle, but they are also in the $500-1000 range.

So that brings me to my questions:
  • What would you do:
    • Fix the car then trade it?
    • Trade it in as-is and take my losses?
  • Anyone with the same issue end up paying for more parts than the transfer case?
Any insight or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,041 Posts
Fix it and drive it another year. Save some money along the way. Then consider another car.

Reactions: Joseph Upson

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
You can source a used transfer case from Car-part.com, or ebay, homing in on close to home, preferably driving distance to pick it up, and pay to have it installed as one option dependent upon the total cost, or you can list the car locally and sell it outright showing documented proof that all it needs is a transfer case, a DIY person would probably give better than what a dealer will give for it in that condition. If it's in good shape otherwise, I'd try to get close to what it's worth if you're not going to repair it. The worst thing that can happen is you wait longer to get the XTS and the prices go down. Just crunch the numbers so that you do what makes the most sense.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,384 Posts
Um are they sure it's just the transfer case? Just you know, the exact same thing happen to me and it was both the transmission and transfer case, the input/output shaft needed to be replaced. Had to rebuild my transmission and replaced the transfercase with an updated input/output shaft

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um are they sure it's just the transfer case? Just you know, the exact same thing happen to me and it was both the transmission and transfer case, the input/output shaft needed to be replaced. Had to rebuild my transmission and replaced the transfercase with an updated input/output shaft

That's helpful information as the place I have it at now doesn't do transmissions so I won't know the extent of the issue until it's taken apart I imagine.

I also take it yours was much more than $1600?

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,384 Posts
That's helpful information as the place I have it at now doesn't do transmissions so I won't know the extent of the issue until it's taken apart I imagine.

Transmission rebuild was less than 1k, I believe it was 700 plus with the new shaft brought it close to 1k. The transfer case was also replaced with the new shaft. In total, it was about 1,650.

The funny part (not so funny since I had to ship it back) is I actually went out and bought a transmission but turned out it was for a coupe! Didn't know they used different transmissions

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts

If they don't do transmissions, don't let them work on the car. Take it to someone who does. I would imagine there's a way of diagnosing the extent of the damage transmission, transfer case wise without taking anything off the car. Since they don't repair transmissions, they might not know the procedure, or care to look it up. They may just want to get you on the hook for a tear down.

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
194 Posts
Hey guys, just trying to get some second opinions here from fellow Cadillac owners.

My 2008 Cadillac CTS AWD 3.6L DI w/ 111K miles died last week. I had the dreaded transfer case issue that is reported everywhere around here:
  • I had a few clicking noises when shifting into gear the days leading up to failure
  • The car made a thump at a red light and my car would not go into drive or reverse and would whine/grind when selecting any gear besides park
I took it to the nearest mechanic and they tell me it's the transfer case, but they don't work on those and referred me to a local transmission repair shop. This shop told me it would be around $1600 to rebuild the transfer case, however they mentioned that this could go up if they find more wrong with it.

My plan was to trade-in this car in a few months and get a 2018+ Cadillac XTS AWD (I've had two kids since getting the CTS and the extra room is nice), so this really has put a damper on my plans. The dealerships I have looked at cars are all over the place on what they'd give me for the trade-in, mostly from $500 to $1000. I had one dealer offer $3K, but they don't have any cars I'm interested in. I am limited to dealerships that are near the car because I don't want to get stuck towing it 50+ miles to trade it in.... I also looked at Carbrain and Peddle, but they are also in the $500-1000 range.

So that brings me to my questions:
  • What would you do:
    • Fix the car then trade it?
    • Trade it in as-is and take my losses?
  • Anyone with the same issue end up paying for more parts than the transfer case?
Any insight or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
I think you have gotten some good advice so far. This is my thoughts, i just bought a 09 cts4 with 85,000 with all options even factory keyless entry from dealer for $9,500.
I have looked this stuff up and found most common problems with the cts before i bought it. The problem that the transmission and transfer case go like someone has sadly been through. The timing chain, door actuator, door microchips sun roof leaks extra. Lol why did i still buy a cts just kidding l love it. You should be able to have everything shipped to your door from eBay. Transfer case $350 to 550 transmission $800 to 1200. I would do it myself transfer case shouldn't take to long 2 hours maybe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you have gotten some good advice so far. This is my thoughts, i just bought a 09 cts4 with 85,000 with all options even factory keyless entry from dealer for $9,500.
I have looked this stuff up and found most common problems with the cts before i bought it. The problem that the transmission and transfer case go like someone has sadly been through. The timing chain, door actuator, door microchips sun roof leaks extra. Lol why did i still buy a cts just kidding l love it. You should be able to have everything shipped to your door from eBay. Transfer case $350 to 550 transmission $800 to 1200. I would do it myself transfer case shouldn't take to long 2 hours maybe.
I got a quote this morning for $1600 for a used transfer case with 43K miles. This guy suggested used over rebuild, the first place said rebuild is better than used and was also $1600.
Both of them said there could be additional damage to the transmission. I think the cost of the used sounds a bit high.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,365 Posts
Personally, used is a gamble. Was the previous driver hard on it? You don't know it's history. All you know it was supposedly running when the car was parted out. A rebuild has had an experienced technician in there verifying the internals. Can you get a bum rebuild, sure. But a rebuild has been opened up and at least the damage has been addressed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all your replies.

I think fixing the car would be the best course of action to get some money back on a trade in. The main decision now would be whether to go with a used transfer case or a rebuilt. However the more I read on these forums, the more I think the transmission output shaft is probably stripped as well. I just don't know until it's taken apart. A $1600 repair job is a no brainer, but if I have to replace or rebuild the trans too then it may be more than it's worth.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,365 Posts
The trans runs about $3500 at the dealer. I don't know the going price at an independent shop. I had mine done under warranty on the 09.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
Thank you for all your replies.

I think fixing the car would be the best course of action to get some money back on a trade in. The main decision now would be whether to go with a used transfer case or a rebuilt. However the more I read on these forums, the more I think the transmission output shaft is probably stripped as well. I just don't know until it's taken apart. A $1600 repair job is a no brainer, but if I have to replace or rebuild the trans too then it may be more than it's worth.
More than it's worth, or more than you want to invest. I don't think a new car expense compares to a repair that will in all likelihood take you beyond another 100k miles. Nothing makes the car one currently owns less desirable, road worthy and dependable, the way that the desire to get a new one can. Think about it.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,041 Posts
My car blew its engine (don't ask why, but remember if you change your oil filter PUT IN A NEW O-RING!). Cost me $9000 a hard thing to swallow. I had over 100,000 miles on my car and I seriously consider a new car. I bit the bullet and put in a new crate engine. 75,000 miles later I gave my wagon to my son-in-law and bought my wife a new car. That $9000 was a deal over the time I continued to drive my car. Did I want a new car? Sure. But the economics worked out well for me overall. As Joseph said, "Think about it."

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,493 Posts
Find out what duration of warranty rebuilt vs replace offers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got a quote this morning for $1600 for a used transfer case with 43K miles. This guy suggested used over rebuild, the first place said rebuild is better than used and was also $1600.
Both of them said there could be additional damage to the transmission. I think the cost of the used sounds a bit high.
Rebuild with warranty in most cases is better. If you want cheaper junk yard or ebay. I would use a used transmission or transfer case with just as much worry as rebuild. It really depends on who rebuilds it,they could let the new guy rebuild it o :poop:
Me personally would buy transfer case from junk yard or eBay for $500. Probably can find one with 30 day warranty on ebay. You should be able to bring in the parts you buy into most mechanic shops. I would go to a shop that will do the transmission and transfer case. Most good auto mechanic shops should do almost everything even some diesel work.
I would pay for proper diagnosis before ordering or buying any parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all again and I will inquire more with both options.

As far as keeping the car, I get what you all are saying. If the CTS was larger I'd keep it much longer, I love this car, I just have two young kids and the added room of an XTS would be great.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
Rebuild with warranty in most cases is better. If you want cheaper junk yard or ebay. I would use a used transmission or transfer case with just as much worry as rebuild. It really depends on who rebuilds it,they could let the new guy rebuild it o :poop:
Me personally would buy transfer case from junk yard or eBay for $500. Probably can find one with 30 day warranty on ebay. You should be able to bring in the parts you buy into most mechanic shops. I would go to a shop that will do the transmission and transfer case. Most good auto mechanic shops should do almost everything even some diesel work.
I would pay for proper diagnosis before ordering or buying any parts.
As long as there's some history available on the part, the later versions that were appropriately upgraded from the factory are a very safe and good used option, pretty much for the reason you've already stated; the skill level of the rebuilder, plus or minus the personal attention to detail considering they're not under 100k mile warranty pressure and they seldom have the assembly line ergonomics and environment to make them comfortable while they work so they can show more care. You can bet they're probably not rebuilding them with GM parts with a cheaper alternative available. The good independents still order parts from Autozone and Advance and that's what a customer should worry about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As long as there's some history available on the part, the later versions that were appropriately upgraded from the factory are a very safe and good used option, pretty much for the reason you've already stated; the skill level of the rebuilder, plus or minus the personal attention to detail considering they're not under 100k mile warranty pressure and they seldom have the assembly line ergonomics and environment to make them comfortable while they work so they can show more care. You can bet they're probably not rebuilding them with GM parts with a cheaper alternative available. The good independents still order parts from Autozone and Advance and that's what a customer should worry about.
I spoke to the company that would rebuild and gave them more details on this issue being common and often times the output shaft needing to be replaced. He recalled working on one and thanked him for the reminder. With this additional work, he said it would be about $2500 to replace the output and input shafts.

If I did go the used route, it sounds like a good chance I'll need to replace both the transfer case AND the transmission as the output shaft is most likely damaged from what I've read on these forums. So could/should I go with a later year where the o-ring issue was corrected? If so, what year should I look for?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just replaced transfer case fluid
Thank you all again and I will inquire more with both options.

As far as keeping the car, I get what you all are saying. If the CTS was larger I'd keep it much longer, I love this car, I just have two young kids and the added room of an XTS would be great.
Maybe you can sell it on Craigslist for $1500?
someone just sold a 08 cts4 with 100,000 and a salvage title with passenger door smached asking $2000. I was going to buy it if it was just a timing chain replacement. But he said needed whole new motor so i passed. I would have bought it with a clean title.

I would think its your input output shaft too like suggested. You probably need transmissions shaft replaced to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts