Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2008 cadillac cts awd w/1sb
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2008 3.6 DI AWD and i noticed whenever i warm my car up for 10 seconds, the rattles from side to side when im sitting in the car. its like the engine is literally rattling the car. its not that noticeable, but if you try and feel for it, you can pick it up. does anybody else have this issue? is this normal for a DI? the car runs fine and i dont notice it when i drive (or maybe because its so subtle that vibrations of normal driving masks the rattle)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i meant that the entire care rattle from side to side. also, just to be clear, it is a rattling feeling. NOT NOISE, which i know is common with a DI

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium
78 Posts
Hey steroids you are not the only one, I have an 11 awd coupe with 3.6 DI and when I start it up it really shakes literally it's visible from the outside aswell when I remote started it. I'm assuming it's "normal" since it goes away but then again according to Cadillac service, shaking from my shifter is normal too! But now that you mention it I will definitely ask my cadi service tech.

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.
337 Posts
I also have a 2011 AWD Coupe 3.6 DI and it does not shake. My experience has been that when a dealer doesn't know how to fix something, they tell you the "problem" is normal.

·
Registered
CTS4 3.6DI, Black
120 Posts
If I'm sitting stopped, at idle I can sometimes feel a very slight shake/shudder in the car. It doesn't bother me much as I assume it's caused by the fairly powerful engine in the car. When I was looking at getting a G8 before the CTS I read complaints about the GT shaking at a stop, caused by the big engine in the car (a V8 though). Actually I kind of like that I can sometimes feel the slight shake as it reminds me that I'm driving something with some muscle and a little sport injected into it. I could see how it might bother someone who was looking for the old "land cruiser" Caddy feel though.

-dolynick

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
I have the same shake ... nothing terrible but noticeable ... I assumed it was normal as it only shakes at start up and while not in gear ... and just a note, I rode in a friends new M3 ... that think shakes and stumbles at start up! It's smooth as silk once warm but even the exhaust is up and down and uneven (not very appealing) until it is warmed up ...

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
I sat in mine last night in my daughters driveway while my wife went inside with her. Probably about 5 minutes and I did not notice any "shake/rattle" feeling in my car. About the only thing I could notice was when the compressor cycled on and off.

·
Registered
2012 cts oerf. coupe
23 Posts
i have an 08 cts also... its the exhaust pipes that vibrate,at idle in gear and stopped.. some times out of drive. dealer can't fix. so i put (just behind rear end) an U exhaust clamp facing up on each pipe and put a steel strap across to each clamp & double nut to clamp. now the pipes can't sit there & vibrate...you can check first to see if thats what it is by apply your emerg. brake and run eng. and go to rear and watch the pipes vibrate. there is too much distance from convertor to mufflers with nothing to stop the 2 pipes from vibrating...

·
Registered
CTS-V
213 Posts
I just assumed this was from the cam lobe. My previous GTO and Corvette was much more pronounced. I have yet to feel it in the V.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I'm sitting stopped, at idle I can sometimes feel a very slight shake/shudder in the car. It doesn't bother me much as I assume it's caused by the fairly powerful engine in the car. When I was looking at getting a G8 before the CTS I read complaints about the GT shaking at a stop, caused by the big engine in the car (a V8 though). Actually I kind of like that I can sometimes feel the slight shake as it reminds me that I'm driving something with some muscle and a little sport injected into it. I could see how it might bother someone who was looking for the old "land cruiser" Caddy feel though.

-dolynick
yea you know exactly what i am talking about. that is how i feel about it too, but i was not sure if that was normal or not. it is very subtle, so it may not b a surprise that people dont notice it

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
No matter the illusions and rationalizations of others :D, the audible "shake at idle" in my CTS can be felt in the shift lever, door panels, and it's a fairly common symptom of a 2008 CTS design flaw. After 3+ years of ineffective TSBs and dealer-improvised "fixes," the vibration has worsened and my Cadillac dealer has finally ordered a new GM replacement "redesigned exhaust system" to be installed soon. I'll believe this fix only when I can hear and feel the absence of cheap, cheap, cheap annoying vibrations, and I'll update here.

·
Registered
CTS4 3.6DI, Black
120 Posts
No matter the illusions and rationalizations of others :D, the audible "shake at idle" in my CTS can be felt in the shift lever, door panels, and it's a fairly common symptom of a 2008 CTS design flaw. After 3+ years of ineffective TSBs and dealer-improvised "fixes," the vibration has worsened and my Cadillac dealer has finally ordered a new GM replacement "redesigned exhaust system" to be installed soon. I'll believe this fix only when I can hear and feel the absence of cheap, cheap, cheap annoying vibrations, and I'll update here.
I'm not sure we're talking about the exact same thing then 928S. I certainly don't "hear" anything as a result of the little shudder/tremble I'm talking about. What I was trying to describe I can only feel when stopped, at idle and in park (never noticed it except when I'm sitting waiting for something, usually already warmed up). It's definitely a "feel" only thing and it's very, very subtle. Almost imperceptible if you're not paying attention. And it's the whole car, not something shaking/rattling a certain panels or the shifter.

I can feel some vibration from the engine/drivetrain in the shifter when I'm driving, but that's a completely different sort of vibration than what I was describing and what I thought the OP was asking about.

-dolynick

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
Maybe I am mistaken but if it is just a barely noticeable vibration then I would think you would feel it in any car once the engine is running. I have owned many cars from low end to high end and if you touch a part of the car when it is running, you can always feel a slight vibration. Motor mounts never fully isolate the engine, drivetrain, etc. fron the rest of the vehicle. Sure some are very smooth, some are rough, but all have some even if ever so slight "vibrations" IMHO

·
Registered
CTS4 3.6DI, Black
120 Posts
Maybe I am mistaken but if it is just a barely noticeable vibration then I would think you would feel it in any car once the engine is running. I have owned many cars from low end to high end and if you touch a part of the car when it is running, you can always feel a slight vibration. Motor mounts never fully isolate the engine, drivetrain, etc. fron the rest of the vehicle. Sure some are very smooth, some are rough, but all have some even if ever so slight "vibrations" IMHO
True I suppose. It's not so much a vibration as a slight tremble or wobble or shudder when the car is sitting idle. At least that's what I feel and what I've been trying to describe. Kind of like sitting in an office chair and having someone shift the back around the axis back and forth really quickly, but much, much more subtle than that. I drove a 2002 Grand Prix GT before the CTS though and it never gave me the same sensation, granted that car's engine was "just" a 220hp 3.8L V6.

At any rate, the sensation I'm refering to is not something I consider to be a problem or even undesirable at all in the CTS. I rather like it. But I'm also an owner who looks at the CTS as one part sports car (ie sport sedan) rather than simply an entry level luxury sedan. I prefer that the car remind me once in a while that it's been designed with some performance in it's DNA and that it's not just "grandpa's cadillac" so to speak.

-dolynick

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
FWIW here's an old thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...99-any-tsb-drivetrain-exhaust-vibrations.html re TSB #08-06-05-001: Exhaust Noise/Moan/Drone/Resonance/Vibration at Idle While in Drive with Foot on Brake (Modify Rear Bodyside Exhaust Hanger Brackets) - (Feb 8, 2008). It's been discussed here many times.

BTW at first my 3.6L DI CTS's idle vibration was subtle, but eventually evolved into an annoying audible shake/rattle when stopped at idle with or without auto transmission in gear, with or without foot on brake pedal; and the above-referenced TSB did not fix it.

·
Registered
CTS-V
213 Posts
True I suppose. It's not so much a vibration as a slight tremble or wobble or shudder when the car is sitting idle. At least that's what I feel and what I've been trying to describe. Kind of like sitting in an office chair and having someone shift the back around the axis back and forth really quickly, but much, much more subtle than that. I drove a 2002 Grand Prix GT before the CTS though and it never gave me the same sensation, granted that car's engine was "just" a 220hp 3.8L V6.

At any rate, the sensation I'm refering to is not something I consider to be a problem or even undesirable at all in the CTS. I rather like it. But I'm also an owner who looks at the CTS as one part sports car (ie sport sedan) rather than simply an entry level luxury sedan. I prefer that the car remind me once in a while that it's been designed with some performance in it's DNA and that it's not just "grandpa's cadillac" so to speak.

-dolynick
You didn't feel it in your Gran Prix because the engine was mounted longitudinally unlike the CTS. The engine would move front to back and not rock the car. On the CTS, when this happens, the engine moves quickly side to side which slightly rocks the car. It almost has the sensation that the car is about ready to stumble or stall. Get into something with a LS V8 and you get the same sensation. My GTO and Corvette both had it, but was much more noticeable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am having the same problem, first the Dealer tried to CLEAN the injectors, that was not helpful, I now need to dig further and it seems I am at a loss for how to proceed, this is not normal for sure. I have driven my CTS for over 40K and I am pretty in tune with the engine etc. Suggestions? Cadillac Help?

12,886 Posts
SRX1701,

We'd be happy to follow up on this with your dealership. Please contact us either via direct message or email us at [email protected] (include a brief summary of the situation, your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

1 - 20 of 26 Posts