Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2007 Cadillac SRX is nearing 100,000 miles and will need to change the transmission filter and fluid and would like to learn as much as I can from others that have done it before. Thank You all for any suggestions and help !

Need help or advice on Changing the transmission fluid and filter on my 2007 Cadillac SRX with almost 100,000 miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would also like to know what is the best recommended fluid to use, right now I am leaning toward Mobil 1 full synthetic Transmission fluid.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,302 Posts
Welcome to CF !!! Your identical threads and duplicate posts have been merged into this one.

Use whatever fluid is recommended in the owner's manual - usually a GM-approved DEXRON-VI fluid.

What is the fluid life remaining in the transmission OLM? Owner's manual.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 2007 doesn't display the transmission oil life anywhere, although it does log it in the pcm. You can only view / reset the trans fluid life parameter with a tech2 or equivalent. I just did my 07 a month ago, used delco dex VI and delco filter/gasket kit off amazon.

Only thing to note beforehand is make aure you have a short enough torx bit to get in the space available by the fill plug. ALWAYS make sure you can get the fill plug out FIRST, before you pull the drain plug.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Best price I have gotten on DelcoVI full-syn $4/qt $10 shipped 10qts $50 total

Not much fun without a lift, for us older guys anyway. It can be done with some ramps/and/or jackstands. Remember it has to be running AND level to get the fill correct.
Be safe!!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Best price I have gotten on DelcoVI full-syn $4/qt $10 shipped 10qts $50 total

Not much fun without a lift, for us older guys anyway. It can be done with some ramps/and/or jackstands. Remember it has to be running AND level to get the fill correct.
Be safe!!
I'll second the not much fun..... the fill plug is next to the exhaust and very close quarters to thread back in. After dropping pan and replacing the filter you can only get a couple quarts in before it runs out with engine off. As stated the engine must be running. You add fluid until it runs out the fill plug. Keep track of how much drained and gauge how close you have to add.
ATF meeting Dextron 6 specs is the approved fluid. I also exchanged a full 12 qts of ATF but my method is a little more details than a simple drop-the-pan. WIX 58545 filter was used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll second the not much fun..... the fill plug is next to the exhaust and very close quarters to thread back in. After dropping pan and replacing the filter you can only get a couple quarts in before it runs out with engine off. As stated the engine must be running. You add fluid until it runs out the fill plug. Keep track of how much drained and gauge how close you have to add.
ATF meeting Dextron 6 specs is the approved fluid. I also exchanged a full 12 qts of ATF but my method is a little more details than a simple drop-the-pan. WIX 58545 filter was used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an 09 and the torx plug is stripped. So I bought a new OEM replacement and will be bringing it to a local shop (with a lift) to have them do it. Funny how they went to a hex plug instead of a torx.....:-( What moron engineer thought that was a good idea. It's aluminum!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what size are the fill and drain plug tools needed to fill and drain my 2007 Cadillac transmission that has a 5l40-E transmission?

·
Registered
52 Posts
T45 torx iirc. I used a dremmel with a small cutoff wheel to take about 1/4" of length off a 3/8 drive torx socket, and that left just enough space to get ahold of the fill plug and crack it loose. Once loose, it'll spin right out with your fingers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
OFor my 2004 :
With the ACDELCO kit filter, 2 plug are in the box (drain and fill).
T45 is the key.

I have just drain oil, not change filter :

Dont forget, the level is make with the refill hole, when oil température is between 30 and 50°C (86-122°F).

·
Registered
158 Posts

If you find this type of T45 socket (T45 in side, hex 8 or 10mm on other side), you can use a 8 or 10mm wrench (ratchet or not).

If somebody have photo, or explain how to change the filter, i am interest. I have listen sometime the 2 seal on the filter must be removed with a special tool ? Really ?

·
Registered
915 Posts
After draining and taking down the pan, the filter comes off by pulling down. I didn't replace the seals. In fact over the years I've replaced several transmission filters and never replaced the seal. But yes there's some type of tool that inserts into the seal hole and expands to remove the seal. It's pressed into the case

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new to the 04 Awd SRX, l'm not crazy there is no transmission dipstick. Thanks for the heads up, radio display says 20% life with 148k chances are its never been charged.

·
Registered
656 Posts
In my limited experience, 140,000 miles and 20% life remaining don't seem correlated.
Perhaps it's had one change and a reset to 100% at some point?
If it's original it should look mighty dark and smelly when it drains.
And yes, no dipstick, which is unfortunately becoming standard practice these days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
nascarnation