Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS4 v6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My wife & I just recently bought a 2007 Cadillac STS4 V6, just YESTURDAY the front passenger door didn't want to open. I believe it still senses the key fob because it unlocks the doors, some times it opens the door half way(doesn't open completely). Any one has had this issue? Would I have to replace the whole Handle assembly? I read in another post that GM Had a door handle recall??? Not sure how to go about things here just signed up today.. Thanks in advance !

Me & my wife recently bought a 07 sts4 v6, just yesturday the passenger door doesn't want to open. It recognizes they key fob near since it unlocks all the door. But it won't open the door, I had seen on another post that GM had a door handle recall?? Not sure how to go about this, just signed up today. Or would I have to replace the whole door handle assembly? Thanks in advance!!

Duplicate threads from two forums merged.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Re: 2007 Cadillac STS V6 door handle won't open door

Wekcome to the forums.

I'm going to move this to the STS forum where more STS owners will see it.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
The door lock module contains switches and a motor to open the door. It is an all in one unit. Not like the older cars which were separate motor and door switches.
I suspect yours has partially failed. Order and DIY or to the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The door lock module contains switches and a motor to open the door. It is an all in one unit. Not like the older cars which were separate motor and door switches.
I suspect yours has partially failed. Order and DIY or to the dealer.
So they updated this (one door lock module vs 2 separate parts) compared to 05 STS? (I was just reading over this thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/213539-help-front-doors-wont-open.html)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alright, now I'm really confused. Here is my situation; I know this has been beaten to death on multiple threads but I'm still confused.

1) If I pull the driver door handle, most of the time it won't do anything (no red light, no back door unlock action)
2) I just went out and messed with it (pull the handle a bunch of times, like 25x and it's raining) and I got it to work
3) It worked relatively consistently once I got it to work.

Does this indicate that I need just the actuators that come with the outside handle assembly? for instance here in this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-2006-07-Cadillac-STS-Left-Front-Door-Outside-Handle-Housing-Kit-19120306-/251890416687?hash=item3aa5d6bc2f&vxp=mtr

or can I do this fix http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/286460-4-fix-door-handle-micro-switch.html

I'm not complaining about the cost, but, if I can do it for 10$ and a little bit of time versus 90$ x 2 (for each door), I'd rather do that.

The passenger side is similar but works more often.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

----------

Alright, now I'm really confused. Here is my situation; I know this has been beaten to death on multiple threads but I'm still confused.

1) If I pull the driver door handle, most of the time it won't do anything (no red light, no back door unlock action)
2) I just went out and messed with it (pull the handle a bunch of times, like 25x and it's raining) and I got it to work
3) It worked relatively consistently once I got it to work.

Does this indicate that I need just the actuators that come with the outside handle assembly? for instance here in this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-2006-07-Cadillac-STS-Left-Front-Door-Outside-Handle-Housing-Kit-19120306-/251890416687?hash=item3aa5d6bc2f&vxp=mtr

or can I do this fix http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/286460-4-fix-door-handle-micro-switch.html

I'm not complaining about the cost, but, if I can do it for 10$ and a little bit of time versus 90$ x 2 (for each door), I'd rather do that.

The passenger side is similar but works more often.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Alright, to clarify, I just reread and now I understand... I have a 2005 STS BTW...Basically, there are 3 components (plus all the electronic wizardry) for these doors to open. You have the Door Handle which functions as an antenna and switch. You have the actuators that sense the door handle pull and send the command to release the latch. Then you have the actual latch release mechanism itself. Jeez. OK. My latch mechanisms are working, I'm thinking I will try the 4 dollar actuator switch out. However, if the door handle was working properly, it should always unlock the back doors...correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
You really need a dealer to check the system with a Tech II. Too many different things going on and it it would be cheaper time wise and effort to pay them
or someone to exercise the system (75 per hour) and find the fault rather than just replacing parts. If it were limited to one fault, then it becomes easy to just replace that
item. I have (had) three of these cars. 2005, 2007 V and 2009. The 2009 has had two door lock failures one under warranty. Before the dealer would replace
they insisted on "scanning" for the fault or checking it. All this stuff runs on what is called the CAN bus which connects the whole car like a network. If you have
the time and patience to replace stuff, that might work for you, but I cannot recommend you do it. Not trying to be blunt, but it becomes a lost cause if the
problems are effecting several systems.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS4 v6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My door JUST started working once more.. Does it mean it's about to go out? Starting to mess up... It opens just fine like nothing was wrong with it..
As for going to the dealer they be charging a arm & a leg to just check it out...

·
Registered
14 Posts
You really need a dealer to check the system with a Tech II. Too many different things going on and it it would be cheaper time wise and effort to pay them
or someone to exercise the system (75 per hour) and find the fault rather than just replacing parts. If it were limited to one fault, then it becomes easy to just replace that
item. I have (had) three of these cars. 2005, 2007 V and 2009. The 2009 has had two door lock failures one under warranty. Before the dealer would replace
they insisted on "scanning" for the fault or checking it. All this stuff runs on what is called the CAN bus which connects the whole car like a network. If you have
the time and patience to replace stuff, that might work for you, but I cannot recommend you do it. Not trying to be blunt, but it becomes a lost cause if the
problems are effecting several systems.
Understood thanks, I totally get it. I sprayed both door handles and through the rubber hole in the door with WD40 on a rainy day. I got both to work by pulling the door handle some 40 or 50 x. They worked for about a week or two after and the passenger side it still working. It's really nice when they work. I will eventually heed your advice and find someone with a Tech2 to analyze. I'd hate to rip the doors apart, replace parts and find it's an electronic issue (which due to the intermittency of the whole thing seems feasible).

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts