Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 cadillac sts v6
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does this mean exactly ? I also got codes about sprk plug 5 n or coil . Engine light was on. Should I just change all of them first n see if it goes away ?

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,012 Posts
Are you near or past 100k miles?
That is the plug life on the N* engine and I assume it is the same on the V6 too.
If you are near or past that I'd swap all plugs and then move forwards from there, however I seem to recall it being rather common to replace coils on the V6, so you may need 6 plugs and 1 coil.

This code has 2 different meanings....
As your scanner tags ABS I'd think it is the second meaning rather than the first one.

Code:
DTC C0561 71 - Power Steering
System Disabled Information Stored Invalid Serial Data Received
Circuit/System Description 

The power steering control module (PSCM) monitors validity faults from the steering angle sensor and vehicle stability control module (VSCM) via serial data. 

Conditions for Running the DTC 

Engine running.

Conditions for Setting the DTC 

The PSCM does not receive vehicle speed message or receives an invalid vehicle speed message from the VSCM or steering angle sensor.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets 

Active Steering is disabled.
SERVICE STEERING SYS and/or STABILITY SECURE MODE is displayed on the DIC.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC 

A current DTC will clear on the next malfunction free ignition cycle.
A history DTC will clear after 100 consecutive malfunction free ignition cycles.

Here is the other one:
Code:
DTC C0561 71 - ABS
System Disabled Information Stored, Invalid Serial Data Received: Electronic Brake Control Module, Suspension Control Module, Power Steering Control Module, Steering Wheel Position Sensor, and Inertial Sensor

The vehicle stability control module (VSCM) disables stability control and or traction control when other electronic control module and components set DTCs for components that affect the operation stability control system.

The ignition is ON.
Ignition voltage is greater than 9 volts.

The engine control module (ECM), power steering control module (PSCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), magneto-rheological, real time damping (MR-RTD) module, inertial measurement unit (yaw rate, lateral, and longitudinal sensor), or steering wheel position sensor (SWPS) diagnoses a condition which prevents the stability control system from performing correctly. The source module will typically set a DTC and the VSCM will set DTC C0561.

The VSCM disables suspension and steering stability control or all VSES for the ignition cycle when the DTC is set.
Either stability secure mode or service stability message is displayed.
The antilock brake system (ABS) remains functional.

The condition for setting the DTC is no longer present.
The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.
Diagnostic Aids 

The DTC provides an indication that the stability control function is disabled because of a fault in another component. All power steering control module (PSCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM) and magneto-rheological, real time damping (MR-RTD) codes should be addressed first.

·
Registered
2007 cadillac sts v6
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the response . One more thing How long can I go with a bad spark plug or coil. I can't do anything until Monday and I only own one car... Will I damage the vehicle even further?

Are you near or past 100k miles?
That is the plug life on the N* engine and I assume it is the same on the V6 too.
If you are near or past that I'd swap all plugs and then move forwards from there, however I seem to recall it being rather common to replace coils on the V6, so you may need 6 plugs and 1 coil.

This code has 2 different meanings....
As your scanner tags ABS I'd think it is the second meaning rather than the first one.

Code:
DTC C0561 71 - Power Steering
System Disabled Information Stored Invalid Serial Data Received

The power steering control module (PSCM) monitors validity faults from the steering angle sensor and vehicle stability control module (VSCM) via serial data. 

Engine running.

The PSCM does not receive vehicle speed message or receives an invalid vehicle speed message from the VSCM or steering angle sensor.

Active Steering is disabled.
SERVICE STEERING SYS and/or STABILITY SECURE MODE is displayed on the DIC.

A current DTC will clear on the next malfunction free ignition cycle.
A history DTC will clear after 100 consecutive malfunction free ignition cycles.

Here is the other one:
Code:
DTC C0561 71 - ABS
System Disabled Information Stored, Invalid Serial Data Received: Electronic Brake Control Module, Suspension Control Module, Power Steering Control Module, Steering Wheel Position Sensor, and Inertial Sensor

The vehicle stability control module (VSCM) disables stability control and or traction control when other electronic control module and components set DTCs for components that affect the operation stability control system.

The ignition is ON.
Ignition voltage is greater than 9 volts.

The engine control module (ECM), power steering control module (PSCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), magneto-rheological, real time damping (MR-RTD) module, inertial measurement unit (yaw rate, lateral, and longitudinal sensor), or steering wheel position sensor (SWPS) diagnoses a condition which prevents the stability control system from performing correctly. The source module will typically set a DTC and the VSCM will set DTC C0561.

The VSCM disables suspension and steering stability control or all VSES for the ignition cycle when the DTC is set.
Either stability secure mode or service stability message is displayed.
The antilock brake system (ABS) remains functional.

The condition for setting the DTC is no longer present.
The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.
Diagnostic Aids 

The DTC provides an indication that the stability control function is disabled because of a fault in another component. All power steering control module (PSCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM) and magneto-rheological, real time damping (MR-RTD) codes should be addressed first.

K

·
0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the response . One more thing How long can I go with a bad spark plug or coil. I can't do anything until Monday and I only own one car... Will I damage the vehicle even further?
Misfiring due to a bad plug (or most likely) a bad coil can damage the CATs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts