Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was backing out of my garage and got stuck in some snow. The front of the car was still in the garage on dry floor. When I stepped on the gas, only the rear tires spun. The TC was off. I would have thought I should have been able to back out with no problems, especially since half the car was in the garage. No lights are on the dash. Wouldn't something show up if there was a problem?

·
Premium Member
'79 coupe deville, '04 Deville DTS White Lightning
3,211 Posts
Why was the tc off?? Try with it on. Press the gas and when the wheels start slipping, don't pull off the pedal. Continue to press the pedal down as you normally would and the car should figure out the rest. Unless something is wrong.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I turned it off because it wouldn't move. I thought with it being AWD all the time, whether the TC was on or off, the front should still push/pull.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,025 Posts
its possible there is an issue in the transfer case or front differential .. or a lot of dealers they don't really know what they are selling and list AWD models as RWD and vis-versa perhaps you purchased a mis-labeled one; are you sure you have an AWD model?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought since it had the "sts 4" on the rear it was the awd. There is also a sticker under the hood stating to not put it on a dynometer since it is AWD.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 4
28 Posts
All the differentials are of the open type. You have all wheel drive until a wheel slips. The design relies on the traction control system to stop the wheel spin and transfer power to the wheels with traction. Leave the traction control on, and push the gas a little harder. The power should then go partly to the front wheels.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
21 Posts
In an AWD, even with TC off (did you hold it five-whole-seconds?) the system is designed to still apply braking to a wheel spinning at high speed to prevent damage to the AWD system. If all is as you describe, I agree that it sounds like you have something wrong with your car's AWD system.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did it with TC and stability off as well. The problem was with TC on, it wouldn't move because of the deep wet snow. When I turned them off, only the rear wheels spun. I would have thought there would be a light that would come on if there was a problem with the AWD?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
It's possible there are codes set for an issue with AWD but not all codes set a service light.
The car should have a 40/60 power split with the rear being more powerfully charged.

I guess it's possible the transfer case chain is stretched beyond usability (was an issue in early SRX AWD models which use the same drivetrain as we do) or the sprockets in the case lost their teeth and can't do anything to move the front wheels or the splines on the axels in front connected to the diff are worn down or broken or there is a failure in the front diff that prevents power getting to the wheels or the front driveshaft is disconnected... There are lots of straight up mechanical issues that would not likely leave codes behind or trigger a service light simply because it wouldn't be possible to monitor these things.

It's possible that the car was towed improperly and wrecked the AWD components. The AWD model warns that you must haul it on a flatbed to prevent damage to the AWD system.

Take it to a dealer and see what happens. You may be driving with only 60% of the cars power...

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is my concern. There have been some recent "concerns" about the dealer I purchased this from about 8 months ago. I didn't have any reason at the time to know there was a problem. It was only until we started getting some heavy snow that things did not seem right. It has been "suggested" in recent months that this dealer in particular is not 100% honest. So my fear is they sold me this car, at full bluebook, knowing there was something wrong. Thanks for all of the information.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V
320 Posts
2006 AWD v6 in Canada, I stored the car last winter so I never had a chance to really drive it in the snow. This year I decided to just drive the STS all year.

Needless to say I am experiencing the same issues as you, it is very evident on slope driveway. Back wheels just spin and the front don't do anything. I have the build sheet from GM so I know for a fact the car is AWD.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,322 Posts
Leave the TC on. Set the gas pedal and the car will do it's job. When a wheel starts to spin the TC system will apply the brakes to the spinning wheel and transfer the driving torque to the wheels with traction. If you try to pedal it like a dragster it won't go anywhere. Be patient. It may take a few seconds for the system to stabilize. To familiarize yourself, take it to an icy parking lot or seldom traveled street and try it with various power settings to see what it does for yourself. Around here the fire department floods a large parking lot and uses it to practice recovering from skids with the fire trucks. That's something to see.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I guess here I am confused. According to the owner's manual, if you are in deep snow and can't move, to avoid damaging the abs and such you are supposed to take the TC off. That being the case, and it is full time AWD, shouldn't the front wheels turn as well? I have had the problem before at the end of my driveway where the plows kick up snow. With TC on, I can't get through the snow. If I turn it off, I can usually pull out of it. But it appears only with the rear wheels spinning.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
caddie07 said:
So I guess here I am confused. According to the owner's manual, if you are in deep snow and can't move, to avoid damaging the abs and such you are supposed to take the TC off. That being the case, and it is full time AWD, shouldn't the front wheels turn as well? I have had the problem before at the end of my driveway where the plows kick up snow. With TC on, I can't get through the snow. If I turn it off, I can usually pull out of it. But it appears only with the rear wheels spinning.
How do you know your front wheels aren't moving? Are you looking at BOTH wheels while stuck? I tested the limits once and got bogged in. I shut tc off and hammered it and the right front and left rear kicked up a snow storm that looked like a rooster tail.

My point is these are open diffs. If stuck all 4 wheels will NOT move. One front wheel and one rear wheel will spin that's it.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V
320 Posts
How do you know your front wheels aren't moving? Are you looking at BOTH wheels while stuck? I tested the limits once and got bogged in. I shut tc off and hammered it and the right front and left rear kicked up a snow storm that looked like a rooster tail.

My point is these are open diffs. If stuck all 4 wheels will NOT move. One front wheel and one rear wheel will spin that's it.
I asked a friend who was outside at the time this happened, he said that he saw my front wheel spin. But oddly enough I can't feel the front gain traction.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
So ... Why can't we swap out the only the rear diff with a posi 3.23 version?
It would at least give us full time 3WD in the case of a stuck situation; wouldn't it?

12,886 Posts
2006 AWD v6 in Canada, I stored the car last winter so I never had a chance to really drive it in the snow. This year I decided to just drive the STS all year.

Needless to say I am experiencing the same issues as you, it is very evident on slope driveway. Back wheels just spin and the front don't do anything. I have the build sheet from GM so I know for a fact the car is AWD.
Hello 06WhiteDiamond,

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing trouble with the AWD on your Cadillac. If you'd like for us to contact GM Canada regarding your concern we'd be happy to do so. Please message us your full contact information, as well as your VIN and dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N. (assisting Laura)
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
So yesterday I was backing out of my garage and got stuck in some snow. The front of the car was still in the garage on dry floor. When I stepped on the gas, only the rear tires spun. The TC was off. I would have thought I should have been able to back out with no problems, especially since half the car was in the garage. No lights are on the dash. Wouldn't something show up if there was a problem?
The same thing happens when the rear wheels are on concrete and the front wheels are on snow. I've done it several times. The front would spin until the traction control took over and switched the power to the rear wheels.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts