Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
07 Escalade AWD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2007 AWD Escalade-White Diamond off lease return through GMAC Smart Auction and I noticed that both rear doors and the liftgate on the back have some paint issues. In particular, the paint is bubbling at doorskin seam where it folds over inside of the door. Not a bunch but any is too much in my opinion. I've seen lots of cars have rust-through issues in that area but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem? I realize our winters are pretty harsh up here with salt and road grime but a $70k vehicle that has rust bubbling through at 2 1/2 years old and 25k miles?

Any experience with GM warranty on something like this? It isn't officially rusted through yet but the bubbles are there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dave

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,774 Posts
1. Post a pic or two. Never seen or heard of this before on a newer Lade.

2. Did you notice the bubbling paint before you bought it?

3. I would be concerned the paint is not factory. (ie. shoddy body shop repair). Bring it to a body shop, they can tell you if it is OEM or not.

·
Registered
08 Escalade EXT
11 Posts
1. Post a pic or two. Never seen or heard of this before on a newer Lade.

2. Did you notice the bubbling paint before you bought it?

3. I would be concerned the paint is not factory. (ie. shoddy body shop repair). Bring it to a body shop, they can tell you if it is OEM or not.
my paint on my 08 white diamond is off because of shop paint....can i get OEM paint done on it TSS? are there shops that can match it perfectly? i got hit and had to replace the front bumper and driver fender...the color on those parts are darker then the rest of the car. its more of a pearl white, rather then diamond white. if u didnt know my car was repainted you probly couldnt tell but i can and its annoying!

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I just picked up a 2007 AWD Escalade-White Diamond off lease return through GMAC Smart Auction and I noticed that both rear doors and the liftgate on the back have some paint issues. In particular, the paint is bubbling at doorskin seam where it folds over inside of the door. Not a bunch but any is too much in my opinion. I've seen lots of cars have rust-through issues in that area but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem? I realize our winters are pretty harsh up here with salt and road grime but a $70k vehicle that has rust bubbling through at 2 1/2 years old and 25k miles?

Any experience with GM warranty on something like this? It isn't officially rusted through yet but the bubbles are there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dave
No issues on either on my 07's, and they spend much of the year covered in snow, ice and salt, but my trucks are well taken care of, it's my business, but I see many new Escalade's that have never seen wax, and many were never washed, after a few years they look like crap. I wonder if the truck you are looking at was maybe repainted.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,774 Posts
my paint on my 08 white diamond is off because of shop paint....can i get OEM paint done on it TSS? are there shops that can match it perfectly? i got hit and had to replace the front bumper and driver fender...the color on those parts are darker then the rest of the car. its more of a pearl white, rather then diamond white. if u didnt know my car was repainted you probly couldnt tell but i can and its annoying!
Diamond White is a bear to match, as you know. I am not a paint expert, but the OPs problem is "bubbling" paint, which I have never seen on a 07+ Lade, or any other 07 vehicle for that matter. That is what made me think the paint might not be OEM. And when I said "OEM", what I really meant to say was it may not be a factory paint job where it is bubbling.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
As Todd said the paint can be hard to match unless you get a good paint shop, I see many cars/trucks having areas repainted at the dealerships to fix shipping damages or employees damage, it usually shows up a year or two later with fade problems or even adhesion problems from poor prep before painting

·
Registered
07 Escalade AWD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty confident that we're talking about factory paint. I just took pictures of the driver's rear door and the rear lift-gate. Wow my garage door looks dirty :(. Anyway...heading to the Caddy dealer this morning I think anyway to talk about this.

Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade Platinum
813 Posts
I'm pretty confident that we're talking about factory paint. I just took pictures of the driver's rear door and the rear lift-gate. Wow my garage door looks dirty :(. Anyway...heading to the Caddy dealer this morning I think anyway to talk about this.

Let me know your thoughts.
Look like RUST to me :(

·
Registered
07 Escalade AWD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stopped at the dealership today and talked to the service manager. Body shop is calling on Monday to set-up the new paint. Sure wish I would have seen it before I bought it. And yes I did look it over but it didn't cross my mind to think about rust on a 2007--seemed like a no-brainer. Besides, when I bought it, it was windy as hell in Chicagoland and VERY chilly. Is a GM issue so at least it is covered. Makes me wonder though about the rest of the truck at this point.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade Platinum
813 Posts
Stopped at the dealership today and talked to the service manager. Body shop is calling on Monday to set-up the new paint. Sure wish I would have seen it before I bought it. And yes I did look it over but it didn't cross my mind to think about rust on a 2007--seemed like a no-brainer. Besides, when I bought it, it was windy as hell in Chicagoland and VERY chilly. Is a GM issue so at least it is covered. Makes me wonder though about the rest of the truck at this point.
Not a good sign :) "Rust never sleeps"...I would fix it and dump it at first opportunity...my .02 cents

·
Registered
08 escalade
106 Posts
Just bought 08 escalade from a Cadillac dealer in mint shape except for rust from the two rear doors same area as Daves escalade.28000kms,the dealer is taking care of it under warranty.There were other escalades with the same rust spots that were for sale at other dealers.:mad:

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Yes I have seen many cars/trucks of all types both American and Euro cars with these problems, I clean and wax the insides of my doors, yea it's extreme but I am in that business, but many cars/trucks I see the owners never clean the insides of the doors or hatches, and I could see if you would let salt sit there for some time it could cause problems as your pics show, the good thing it's an easy fix on the inside of the doors to repair, of course it should have never happened in the first place.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
2 Posts
I have a 2007 Black Escalade, bought it 1 year old, had it ever since, and lots of paint issues, rust, bubbles etc...had it fixed by caddy dealer and they told me where the chrome trim is and the holes drilled into the door, the paint is pitting, i will have problems continously, and I have. Something about the primer not adhearing correctly and now I am having rust issues on the tailgait door corner and passengers back doors bad! This will be the 3rd time taking it in for paint issues, the dealer themselves told me to dump it and buy something new. I will NEVER buy or spend $$$ on Escalades again!

12,877 Posts
Have you ever contacted our Cadillac Customer Assistance Center regarding your paint issues, Gismo? I'd be more than happy to investigate further for you and officially document your concern, if you like; email me anytime at [email protected] for further assistance!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT
1 Posts
Gismo27 I know the feeling. I have a black 07 EXT and my issues started at around 55000k. Took it to dealer 3 times and kept getting blown off by ther service manager saying its rock chips. My truck has never even seen a dirt road. Now the paint is peeling like this right below my door windows. No way its rock chips. Plus my fenders are rusting out. The entire truck looks like crap. I hate to even drive it it looks so bad. Even the dealers bodyshop manager said it was a paint defect. I tried calling GM customer care and they wouldn't even give me the time of day. All they said is we go by what the service manager said. Nice service when ya pay almost 6 figures for a vehicle. I've had it with GM. Never again will I buy another one of their vehicles either. My 96 sunfire had paint that lasted better than whats on my Caddy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS
788 Posts
Gismo27 I know the feeling. I have a black 07 EXT and my issues started at around 55000k. Took it to dealer 3 times and kept getting blown off by ther service manager saying its rock chips. My truck has never even seen a dirt road. Now the paint is peeling like this right below my door windows. No way its rock chips. Plus my fenders are rusting out. The entire truck looks like crap. I hate to even drive it it looks so bad. Even the dealers bodyshop manager said it was a paint defect. I tried calling GM customer care and they wouldn't even give me the time of day. All they said is we go by what the service manager said. Nice service when ya pay almost 6 figures for a vehicle. I've had it with GM. Never again will I buy another one of their vehicles either. My 96 sunfire had paint that lasted better than whats on my Caddy.
That looks like dog shit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts