Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been talking to you guys and gals now for several years so I value your input. So here's the deal.

Coming off a 2007 lease that I extended for 3 months and now that is up. All in hopes that I could drive the lease purchase price down. Well no go there. So now I am faced with turning in what I have, which is a Diamond White Ultra Luxury Escalade in perfect condition. Problem is that I have worked the numbers and expect to dinged from GMAC somewhere in the 5K range. Excess mileage etc (never thought I'd exceed the mileage allowance). But all the miles were highway miles. VA to SC once a month. In fact the original tires look darn near unused. Also all those little annoying things we all discovered together -- road noise, rattling side views, etc were corrected.

So do I buy the in-perfect condition (and I mean nothing ever used other than drivers seat) 07 with 41k miles for 44k? I know I can do better -- But/Or---

Do I turn her in and move on expecting the 5K bill from GMAC and go find a used Platinum. I like what I have and again I know I can find better pricing with less mileage but I do know this truck and there is nothing wrong with her.

Tough call. For me anyways. What starts to go wrong at about 60k-70k range?

Thanks in advance for input!!

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
You just have to look at what it is going to cost vs. replacing with new, not a lot of differences to the 09' or 10', what got me was when a salesman said "your truck is cleaner and shines more that the new one you want" , and that was my truck and 30k :eek::eek:

·
Registered
Cadillac
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You just have to look at what it is going to cost vs. replacing with new, not a lot of differences to the 09' or 10', what got me was when a salesman said "your truck is cleaner and shines more that the new one you want" , and that was my truck and 30k :eek::eek:
That is exactly where I am. I almost believe I can buy this one and to your point it almost shines up better than the new one I looked at--So avoid the hit from GMAC and sell this one off when I find say a used platinum. So what I lose a few grand when I sell the 07. At least I have something until I run across the ride I am looking for.

You moved up as I recall.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
That is exactly where I am. I almost believe I can buy this one and to your point it almost shines up better than the new one I looked at--So avoid the hit from GMAC and sell this one off when I find say a used platinum. So what I lose a few grand when I sell the 07. At least I have something until I run across the ride I am looking for.

You moved up as I recall.
I replaced my older 07' with an 09', it cost me about 32k, and really it was not worth it, don't get me wrong the 09' is nicer, rides better, less interior noise, but 32k is a lot of money, I wanted to get rid of the older one because it had almost 50k miles, but I kept the newer 07' because it only has 11k miles on it, and if the 09' did not have the same color emblem as the truck vs black emblem background on the 07's you could not tell which one is the new one in my garage.

·
Registered
Cadillac
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced my older 07' with an 09', it cost me about 32k, and really it was not worth it, don't get me wrong the 09' is nicer, rides better, less interior noise, but 32k is a lot of money, I wanted to get rid of the older one because it had almost 50k miles, but I kept the newer 07' because it only has 11k miles on it, and if the 09' did not have the same color emblem as the truck vs black emblem background on the 07's you could not tell which one is the new one in my garage.
Good [email protected]!!!

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,766 Posts
If you know you are going to get hit for 5K in excess miles, I think you really need to compare what is out there for 39K with your mileage and condition. It may not make perfect sense on paper, but I may end up buying mine too, as I take care of it and doubtful I can find an 07 I am happy with condition wise, except for possibly yours and Carl's.

·
Registered
Cadillac
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you know you are going to get hit for 5K in excess miles, I think you really need to compare what is out there for 39K with your mileage and condition. It may not make perfect sense on paper, but I may end up buying mine too, as I take care of it and doubtful I can find an 07 I am happy with condition wise, except for possibly yours and Carl's.
Exactly---Probably worth asking this group if anyone has a higher mileage 07 and if so when-- if ever --did they start encountering any significant issues? I've seen several 07 with 75K plus miles. They still look good although some that were not cared for had wear. However, the one I drove with 76k miles still ran great. Like new.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
The biggest problem with 4 wheel or all wheel drive is that once they get over 50k miles the price really starts tanking quick, depending on how you drive and where you live and drive, how you maintained your truck, all these things will help or hurt you in the future. I have customers running their original trans in their early 2002-2003 Escalades with well over 100k miles, I have other customers with 2008 Escalade's and they are on their 2nd and 3rd transmissions because they are animals and do not understand you can not floor a 6000 lb truck from every red light without causing damage over time, I think they are starting to get the picture. :)

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Been talking to you guys and gals now for several years so I value your input. So here's the deal.

Coming off a 2007 lease that I extended for 3 months and now that is up. All in hopes that I could drive the lease purchase price down. Well no go there. So now I am faced with turning in what I have, which is a Diamond White Ultra Luxury Escalade in perfect condition. Problem is that I have worked the numbers and expect to dinged from GMAC somewhere in the 5K range. Excess mileage etc (never thought I'd exceed the mileage allowance). But all the miles were highway miles. VA to SC once a month. In fact the original tires look darn near unused. Also all those little annoying things we all discovered together -- road noise, rattling side views, etc were corrected.

So do I buy the in-perfect condition (and I mean nothing ever used other than drivers seat) 07 with 41k miles for 44k? I know I can do better -- But/Or---

Do I turn her in and move on expecting the 5K bill from GMAC and go find a used Platinum. I like what I have and again I know I can find better pricing with less mileage but I do know this truck and there is nothing wrong with her.

Tough call. For me anyways. What starts to go wrong at about 60k-70k range?

Thanks in advance for input!!

My thoughts are this...you say that you like the truck very well and can buy it for 44K.

Can you find another one for SUBSTANTIALLY LESS than 39K that is as good as yours is. 39k plus the 5K hit from GM = 44K that you will pay for that one.

If not..then keep the one that you have.
If so...turn that one in and get another one.

One other thing to consider if you are worried about repair costs down the road...put a GMPP warranty on it. I think you can do that as long as it is under 50,000 miles.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
Cadillac
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thoughts are this...you say that you like the truck very well and can buy it for 44K.

Can you find another one for SUBSTANTIALLY LESS than 39K that is as good as yours is. 39k plus the 5K hit from GM = 44K that you will pay for that one.

If not..then keep the one that you have.
If so...turn that one in and get another one.

One other thing to consider if you are worried about repair costs down the road...put a GMPP warranty on it. I think you can do that as long as it is under 50,000 miles.

Texas Jim
That's is what I am doing. Like my bud said "Just write the check" then you will not have to unpack the current truck.

Thanks All!!

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I leased years ago until my dealer finally said to me your trucks are always mint, you could probably make a grand or two more buying the trucks and trading them in rather than just turning them in at the end of the lease, been buying ever since. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I leased years ago until my dealer finally said to me your trucks are always mint, you could probably make a grand or two more buying the trucks and trading them in rather than just turning them in at the end of the lease, been buying ever since. :)

That is what I noticed on the 03 Tahoe Z-71 I had. It was mint so my sister bought it and 3 years later the best truck she has ever had. I fully agree. Thanks H

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette
525 Posts
Did you check the dealer buy on this vehicle? This buy price will be less than your contracted buy. I purchased my 07 STS lease and the dealer buy was 12k less than my contracted buy.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Corvette00 hit it on the head. Monthly payments on a new vehicle are always less than the payments on buying out your old lease. Thanks to incentives over the years. And now, with the market the way it is, you can buy a new vehicle for even less.

Get the vehicle detailed; pay the mileage penalty; have DEALER do the (end of) inspection rather than a third party. Make sure you have any CDs that came with DVD player in vehicle, etc. Have a touch up guy do some touching up for $30 or so. Make the thing look superbe.

If you kept your old vehicle and later decided to sell it, you would not get much for it in this market. On the other hand, if your vehicle had 15k or 20 on it, you could command a premium price. Even then, people today are not spending big $$ on used vehicles. Banks are charging higher interest rates on used vehicles too. Banks would rather finance a new vehicle.

Do your homework; try to buy at end of month when salesman, sales manager, general manager need to make their quotas. Go to dealership (to buy) 2 hours before they close. You will get a fantastic deal. Same approach with a lease. Biggest factor: do your homework. You can actually get the leasing transaction form from any dealer. Get money factor that your dealer will use for your new lease, etc.

The negotiations are more fun than the actual ownership of the vehicle if you do your homework.

BTW, do not buy or lease a demo. You can get a new vehicle for same rate. Dealer paid the same amount for both vehicles, and he actually makes more $$ on selling/leasing you a demo. (In short, he has gotten monthly payments from the user of the demo.) Besides, you need to secure a vehicle with no miles on it--other than , 20, 50, 100 or so.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts