Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 1996 Eldorado
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was on her way home and our escalade started running like it was only hitting on 3 cylinders. She managed to limp it home, about 10 miles, and now it won't start. The only code is P1682 and that's probably from cranking it so much to try and start it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea. I checked all the relays and there is no corrosion bit I still worked them in and out a few times. Didn't help but I think you may be on to something. I managed to get it to run a little bit and it has a knock that sounds like pre-ignition. Maybe something went wrong with the timing or even valve timing. Does it have a timing belt that could have slipped? It has just over 100 k miles.

·
Registered
DHS, 2007 ESV
241 Posts
Could have broken the #7 piston top land or a valvespring. I'd do a compression test on all 8 cylinders to see for sure. There is an easy way to see if compression is down on one cylinder - unplug the fuel pump/injector fuses and crank the engine, listening if the noise is the same as each cylinder comes up on the compression stroke. If one cylinder has low compression, the starter will speed up as that cylinder comes to the compression stroke, making the noise uneven (normal: n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n where one cylinder is leaking: n-n-N-n-n-n-n-n, if that makes sense). There is no timing belt to slip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tec80 you were right on the money. Turned out to be a broken intake valve spring on the #6 cylinder. Thank you for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts