Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boy!! Sounds like mine to a T.
I hope the new throttle body clears up the issues you're having.
Maybe there is light at the end of this tunnel after all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, there is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train! I finally tested the new throttle body out. I ran it up a few different passes and here in Montana with the tranny temp up to 226 degrees and cycled it to a stop and restarts and it seamed to fix the problem on my '07 Escalade ESV. I stopped and started at various temperatures at different elevations and never once died.

I'm guessing the butterfly valve (throttle plate) in the throttle body was designed with too tight of tolerance for the aluminum throttle body housing (expands when hot) . So when you came to a stop after highway speeds it closes so hard on the down shift/compression of slowing down and would stick in the aluminum housing that had expanded. There for not throwing a code because it was mechanical. The engine would fire but didn't have enough air in the fuel mixture to start. Once the aluminum body cooled down (in my case tranny temp at 176-178 degrees) it would release the butterfly valve (throttle plate) allowing the engine to start up.

OEM part (highly suggested) ran 250.00. Installed it in about 10 minutes. It sit right up front on the engine for easy access. You need a screwdriver for the clamps on the air intake and a 10 MM socket for the two nuts and two bolts on the throttle body. It has a "O" ring type gasket that I just reused. I didn't reflash the computer and it started up and ran fine.

It took me two years to figure it out but it's an Easy fix men. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The other common issue which will stall you out when towing is the Variable cam solenoid. I replaced the cam sensor, cam solenoid and valve(looks like a bolt) and we are good as new. The cam was getting stuck which would lead to really rough running at idle and stalling out. Left me in the right lane in traffic on the highway on an uphill with my 30ft camper! Argh....Seems to be fixed now.

acdelco 12653140 cam phaser solenoid
ac delco 213-3826 cam sensor
dorman 916-865 oil control valve
qnt 2 ac delco 251-663 water pump gaskets

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know the feeling! My wife was waving people around the camper as we sat on an exit ramp in Idaho. She actually had a gal tell her that it was not a very good spot to park and it was just dangerous to park on the exit ramp like that! Some people are not very thought full, but we did have others offer to help us.

So when you came to a stop on pulling the camper up the hill it stalled and wouldn't start and did it start after it cooled down?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The throttle body issue didn't make a rough idle it would just die because of the lack of air when it shifted from 2nd to 1st gear when you came to a stop. Usually after a long pull on an interstate or highway situation.

If mine starts idling rough I'll defiantly be changing out the cam shaft sensor.

I'm glad you have your rig fixed! This electronic stuff has its good spots and bad spots!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having the same problem with the stalling coming to a stop after highway driving and I tried McC67 solution and it worked. Picked up a new throttlebody for 550 bucks at the dealership OEM part. You may be able to just remove the throttlebody and clean it real good and that might take care of the problem but we had 106,000 miles on this car so I just bought a new one. Works just fine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, there is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train! I finally tested the new throttle body out. I ran it up a few different passes and here in Montana with the tranny temp up to 226 degrees and cycled it to a stop and restarts and it seamed to fix the problem on my '07 Escalade ESV. I stopped and started at various temperatures at different elevations and never once died.

I'm guessing the butterfly valve (throttle plate) in the throttle body was designed with too tight of tolerance for the aluminum throttle body housing (expands when hot) . So when you came to a stop after highway speeds it closes so hard on the down shift/compression of slowing down and would stick in the aluminum housing that had expanded. There for not throwing a code because it was mechanical. The engine would fire but didn't have enough air in the fuel mixture to start. Once the aluminum body cooled down (in my case tranny temp at 176-178 degrees) it would release the butterfly valve (throttle plate) allowing the engine to start up.

OEM part (highly suggested) ran 250.00. Installed it in about 10 minutes. It sit right up front on the engine for easy access. You need a screwdriver for the clamps on the air intake and a 10 MM socket for the two nuts and two bolts on the throttle body. It has a "O" ring type gasket that I just reused. I didn't reflash the computer and it started up and ran fine.

It took me two years to figure it out but it's an Easy fix men. Good luck!
I have the same issue with my '07 Escalade ESV. The first incident happened last year driving back from a Colorado ski trip coming off the interstate after driving for hours then stalling on the offramp. I've been driving for a year since without incident. However, it happened again twice about a month ago towing my snowmobile trailer to and from Wisconsin after driving about 2 hours while coming to a stop. Each incident, the vehicle started after 20 to 30 minutes.

I see I'm not the only one experiencing this issue and I'm grateful for you sharing your experience and knowledge. I plan on taking my family on another ski trip to Montana for spring break and I was concerned about taking this vehicle. I'm going to do as you suggested above and hopefully resolve my (our) issue. Thank you!

I will post a reply after my trip with results.

Almost feel this should be a recall item with the number of people having the same problem. Just sayin' :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 Escalade (82,500 miles) just started stalling when I roll to a stop after it has been running for a while. It runs perfect otherwise, no loss of power or hesitation on takeoff or under a load. The problem is intermittent and seems to be more frequent when I slow from freeway speeds. I have seen a post on Just Ask with an identical issue on the same year model car but the discussion ended with the dealer tearing down the motor. Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW: I took it to a chevy dealer and they said it could be the fuel pump but they couldn’t find anything wrong and it has done it since.
Fixed my 2007 Escalade 6.2L: This vehicle would idle all day without issue at all. But if I let it reach normal operating temperature and then drive it through the gears, when I would come to a red light so that the engine came toward idle it would stumble and die almost every-time. It was very hard to start again unless it cooled all the way. I hooked up my scan tool and watched and it would show a P0016 correlation issue.(Already replaced the crank and cam sensors and the oil control valve and adjuster magnet for VVT.) So what fixed it? Long story short I changed the oil and filter, replacing the local quick change oil changing place products(900 miles old) with Valvoline synthetic 5W30 and K&N oil filter. It runs perfect and never has an issue now. Crazy !

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same issue with my '07 Escalade ESV. The first incident happened last year driving back from a Colorado ski trip coming off the interstate after driving for hours then stalling on the offramp. I've been driving for a year since without incident. However, it happened again twice about a month ago towing my snowmobile trailer to and from Wisconsin after driving about 2 hours while coming to a stop. Each incident, the vehicle started after 20 to 30 minutes.

I see I'm not the only one experiencing this issue and I'm grateful for you sharing your experience and knowledge. I plan on taking my family on another ski trip to Montana for spring break and I was concerned about taking this vehicle. I'm going to do as you suggested above and hopefully resolve my (our) issue. Thank you!

I will post a reply after my trip with results.

Almost feel this should be a recall item with the number of people having the same problem. Just sayin' :)
Since there are reports that this issue is frequently caused by the hot oil pressure being too low to properly move the cam phasor back from a highway cruise angle to an angle suitable for idling & starting ... Selecting an oil & filter that would help ensure adequate hot oil pressure seems like a great strategy to eliminate that cause of the issue. While I haven't had this issue, I still run Amsoil Signature series 5W-50 oil, and one of their synthetic media filters, to make sure I have plenty of oil pressure when hot. Same pressure when cold, 3-4 psi more pressure when hot.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV running CNG
6 Posts
This was the issue I was having and my fix. MrV8 is correct, it’s about oil pressure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keep this post alive, my 08 just started having same issue first time check engine came on with crank sensor code. Took it to the stealership just to make sure they said the crank sensor was the issue they replace it and it was fine for a month. Now happened again turned off coming into parking lot.

No code or check engine came in left it there for 2 hours came back started fine. Next day took it for a 30 minute hwy drive and coming off the exit ramp it died. No code or anything again. Had my scan tool with me and opened this forum. Thank god to McC67 i read his fix and sure enough my scan tool read the throttle was not fully closed. After it cold down a bit still would start, i manually moved the butterfly open and it started.

Just ordered new throttle body ac delco amazon for 160 im pretty sure this is the fix i will post after i get it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep this post alive, my 08 just started having same issue first time check engine came on with crank sensor code. Took it to the stealership just to make sure they said the crank sensor was the issue they replace it and it was fine for a month. Now happened again turned off coming into parking lot.

No code or check engine came in left it there for 2 hours came back started fine. Next day took it for a 30 minute hwy drive and coming off the exit ramp it died. No code or anything again. Had my scan tool with me and opened this forum. Thank god to McC67 i read his fix and sure enough my scan tool read the throttle was not fully closed. After it cold down a bit still would start, i manually moved the butterfly open and it started.

Just ordered new throttle body ac delco amazon for 160 im pretty sure this is the fix i will post after i get it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Guy's, I think we are chasing the same problem with two different issues here. The throttle body is an issue and so I would recommend replacing that. Since I replaced mine it was flawless for about a year and a half then we stalled at a stop light again when we came down from highway speeds.

The other issue that I think we are having is just like Bamarazor and MrV8 said, the oil pressure. When the oil gets hot the pressure goes down and several of the sensing mechanisms in the engine stop reading & behaving properly causing your 6.2 to die. This next part kills me to type. As I was sitting there with a stalled rig pulling out 24' travel trailer I looked up at the little sticker on the window, the one oil change shop sticks on the window. The mileage on the sicker in coloration with the odometer said we had 8,100 miles on that oil change!!! Two take a ways here, thank GOD we use Valvoline highmilage motor oil in it and two what kind of dumba__ doesn't check his wife's rig over more thoroughly before he pulls a trailer with it!!!

So the oil was so thin that the cam positioning sensor couldn't read the oil right and tripped stalling the rig as it did before. So men keep up on your oil changes especially before towing, use good oil like Valvoline, Amsoil or Lucas and use a good filter that keeps your oil pressure up! Not discounting that you may have another issue on your particular rig. I'm just posting a response here so you maybe able to avoid the frustration and the cost of a mechanic coming back to you with a $400.00 shoulder shrug and saying "We couldn't find anything wrong, we cleared the codes so just bring it back if it happens again". Gee thanks, I will bring it back if I'm still alive after somebody drives up my butt as I'm stalled out at a green light on a 65 MPH highway!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good info, need post like these to stay alive becuase like everyone here experience no check engine light or anything so mechanic cant find the issue until it gets replicated. I have a scan tool that gives me more info and lets ne do some actuation test so that helps alot. I do have some reading saying
  1. Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Switch 3 Circuit Low Voltage
This however does not show with a odb check fault code so you wouldn't know this is happening unless you have a better scan tool. Anyone have experience on this?

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV 2WD 6.2
28 Posts
Just experienced this same issue with my 07 (104,000mi) Escalade this weekend. Any suggestions on what to clean the throttle body with? Seafoam,etc! Also is Lucas gas treatment wrong for this type of car? I am so use to adding lucas treatment before a long travel to help engine cleaning, I did it to this truck with out thinking.
Don't use that. If you want to use an additive use Chevron Techron. It actually keeps your injectors clean. Do not use oil or gas additives with these engines. Use top tier premium gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well i changed the throttle body and vehicle stalled again, throttle reading showed again stuck ay 30%, so now my only option is yo try a oil changed. Now it's getting to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks, on the passenger side from the valve cover to the air intake is very weak. It will throw off Mass Air Flow scensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hear that you still have an issue! I have heard that if you don't use a factory throttle body from a dealer you may have issues. I have a good friend that is a parts dealer for the Chevy & Cadillac dealer. He said the service department has had to fix several suburban, escalade, Tahoe and Yukons that have had aftermarket throttle bodies installed on them. I know it sounds like a sales ploy but I trust him, known him since we were kids. He was able to get an OEM one for around 260.00. You can look for the air leak and change the oil too. You can use starting fluid to check for the vacuum leak. If it is a leak on the intake side it will rev the motor a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well the one i bought it was from Amazon its is an oem ac delco exactly like the one it had. But as suggested i check for vacuum leaks and i found the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve was broken and not connecting securely to the valve cover i just ordered the part for that. I wonder if the is the problem all along but its weird that when it stalled i wont turn on untill several minutes and yesterday i had to press the gas pedal while turning and that did it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts