Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Escalade (82,500 miles) just started stalling when I roll to a stop after it has been running for a while. It runs perfect otherwise, no loss of power or hesitation on takeoff or under a load. The problem is intermittent and seems to be more frequent when I slow from freeway speeds. I have seen a post on Just Ask with an identical issue on the same year model car but the discussion ended with the dealer tearing down the motor. Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW: I took it to a chevy dealer and they said it could be the fuel pump but they couldn’t find anything wrong and it has done it since.

12,821 Posts
Welcome to the forum, neeners07!
We're sorry to hear that you're having troubles with your Escalade stalling, and see that you've visited a dealership to get this checked into already. If you would like for us to check into anything further for you, please send us either a private message or an email at [email protected] with further details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and approximate mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2007 Escalade base
104 Posts
I have seen this problem before in customers vehicals and most the time it turns out to be the drive by wire throttle body, It needs to be replaced but try cleaning it first.

·
Registered
DHS, 2007 ESV
241 Posts
Could also be a stuck converter clutch solenoid in the transmission. Throw it in neutral when coasting down to a stop to verify.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
2 Posts
was there ever a solution to this problem?????? I also have a 2007 escalade higher mileage, 180,000, and experienced the same stalling problems this weekend while towing my bass boat to the river. VERY FRUSTRATING AS WE STALLED 6 TIMES!!! After the first stall we called a tow truck to pick us up assuming it was the fuel pump that needed to be replaced. When the tow truck arrived it started and we drove it to a shop where we replaced the fuel pump. We left for our trip after having the work done and the problem continued when we hit the desert as we would come to a stop sign or light it would stall. every time we could get it restarted after 30-60 minutes of cranking on it and pulling out and putting back in the fuel pump relay.

This made for a horrible trip and obviously now I don't have any confidence driving the vehicle. I have read all the posts on this forum and it seems nobody has found a solution to the problem?????? We were actually putting it in neutral when coming to a stop after having the problem just trying to get home and it did not stall? BTW without towing the boat I have not had issues at least for the day, been driving and stopping and restarting all day. How can I fix the problem if I don't know what to fix???????

·
Registered
Cadillac
73 Posts
Would a throttle body that's drive by wire have an IAC valve? (Idle Air Control)

I ask because I've have this happen on several other cars I've owned over the years that had a few miles on them. Basically it's job is to allow air in for combustion even though you let your foot off the gas.

Over time the internal plunger can get plugged and either start to stick periodically (which causes the stall when coming to a stop) or completely gets stuck closed meaning the vehicle will only run with foot throttle applied. Hope this helps...

edit: oh and in previous times I've had this problem it never once threw a problem code/engine light.

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,854 Posts
lbrowne said:
Would a throttle body that's drive by wire have an IAC valve? (Idle Air Control)

I ask because I've have this happen on several other cars I've owned over the years that had a few miles on them. Basically it's job is to allow air in for combustion even though you let your foot off the gas.

Over time the internal plunger can get plugged and either start to stick periodically (which causes the stall when coming to a stop) or completely gets stuck closed meaning the vehicle will only run with foot throttle applied. Hope this helps...

edit: oh and in previous times I've had this problem it never once threw a problem code/engine light.
I don't believe our drive by wire system uses an IAC valve, that is why throttle body cleaning is so important

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 1995 Deville
1 Posts
Just experienced this same issue with my 07 (104,000mi) Escalade this weekend. Any suggestions on what to clean the throttle body with? Seafoam,etc! Also is Lucas gas treatment wrong for this type of car? I am so use to adding lucas treatment before a long travel to help engine cleaning, I did it to this truck with out thinking.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade Premium Edition
196 Posts
+1 on the crankshaft position sensor. Have replaced this in 2 of my cars with >100k miles. Symptoms were random stalls especially when hot. Otherwise ran fine. No codes thrown.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
2 Posts
Hi all
I am having the same exact problem with my 2007 ESV can anyone shed light on what you did to resolve this? Only while it is towing, (camper 5000#) stalls when I come upto a light/ stop. wont restart until it sits for a time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've posted this before and nobody seemed to take note, so I will say it once again. Check for your TCC being stuck "on". My 09 ESV wouldn't actually stall, but it nearly did every single time we would come off the freeway or stop at a light on the highway. Especially after driving at highway speeds for 45+ minutes. Never a prob in city traffic. Anyways, they replaced something called transmission control valve body (I think that was the name or something close to that) $950 at the dealer and the truck now runs amazing. Haven't had a single issue since and we have taken it on numerous 7 hour+ trips. Hope this might help.

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,287 Posts
I been googling TCC and I cant find anything to help me, it looks like is was for the 1999-2006 Escalade. Please let me know or a link to show me. You can also PM me.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
This seems to be exactly what my truck is doing. I will replace it and then update after a long trip. Thanks for your post!
Curious about that update.
I’m having the same issue.
Changed the crank sensor, MAP sensor, cleaned the throttle body.
Been hesitant on replacing the TCM, but that’s the next step.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curious about that update.
I’m having the same issue.
Changed the crank sensor, MAP sensor, cleaned the throttle body.
Been hesitant on replacing the TCM, but that’s the next step.
I know your frustration! My '07 ESV stalls after the temp comes up when towing. Like a light switch it starts after the tranny temp comes down to 176 degrees. It tries to start (it fires but won't run). We replace a fuel pump, range sensor in the tranny but it still stalls at the first light off the interstate. It dies when the work load changes and it shifts form second gear to first gear when coming up to the light. We have a dealer here in Montana that orders in 1-2 throttle body assemblies a month just for the GM 6.2L in the '07-'08 years. He strongly suggested I use a OEM throttle body because the ones that come from the local parts house that are not OEM have been coming back only to have them install the OEM body the customer was to impatient to wait for the first time their rig was in the shop.

It has been so intermittent that it is hard to track but now it is starting to stall on every trip. It doesn't pull any codes so you can't plug it in and pin point the issue. I'm guessing there is a spring or the butterfly valve, or some mechanical part that heats up and sticks in place till it contracts as it cools off and then it releases and then it gets the proper air fuel ratio to start. With that type of issue it wouldn't pull a code because it is not an electrical issue talking to the computer.

I'll have the part Friday and it will be installed that night and I will be hooking on to my travel trailer and run it up the pass to find out if replacing the throttle body assembly fixes the issue. I'll test it this weekend several times (and probably use a tank of fuel) to see if it has any problem idling or down shifting.

I will get back to you with a success or failure report! We have had this issue for two years now and it has got to the point that it seem to be totally predictable and needs to be fixed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts