Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 Escalade and the right axel broke recently and was replaced last month. A weeks later I noted that the right front wheel splashguard was loose and had problems with both front lights. Not sure if I hit snow backing up and pulled it off or perhaps was loose from dealer axel repair. Possible water damage or just burnt out... I fixed the trim and splash guard. On the right, the upper light works but the main H1D halogen low/high beam lamp is out, and on the left (driver side), the lower low/high beam lamp is good, but the upper lamp is out. A few questions I need help with... I have never replaced any bulbs since I bought vehicle in 2007.

I have order a pair of new HID Xenon H1D bulbs on ebay. Is there different qualities of these or types to not buy? I did not order new ballasts. Should I replace both bulbs and ballasts at same time to maintain equal light intensity etc?

Should I replace all the other bulbs while I have assembly exposed? Should I switch to LEDs? If so, which part # as I have read accounts of poor lighting when driving with some bulbs... what are the part numbers for the top and middle bulbs...

Lastly, should I access the assembly through the hood from behine (with light assembly in place) or by taking the bumper off and pulling light forward. Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Escalade AWD Premium, 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe
164 Posts
Generally, yes, I would say there is a definite difference in quality of xenon bulbs. I would try and stick with a name you know (Philips, for example) or go with the OEM manufacturer (can't seem to remember who it is, right now). I would also make sure that it is indeed the bulbs and not a ballast issue; the ballasts sit directly underneath the headlamp assembly and if your fender liners were loose who knows what could've been kicked up towards the assemblies.

The correct way to remove the headlamp/gain decent access is to loosen the fender liners and each corner of the bumper to reveal one of the bolts that holds it in place (stupidest design, ever). The other two bolts holding it in place can be accessed once you pop the hood. I would recommend you do that if you have average/large hands bc there's not a lot of room back there and you could risk breaking one of the tabs by pulling too far forward.

I would take this opportunity to upgrade to LED if that's something on your to-do list since it's so labor intensive just to change out the bulbs. None of the bulbs you're referring to have any real function at night in terms of providing visibility...the parking lamps (top of the stack) are just that. The middle bulbs are DRL and don't come on at night, anyway. I just recently upgraded to LED's and used 194 wedge bulbs for the parking lamps and 5201/5202 bulbs for the DRL. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts