Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2007 Escalade has a little over 18,000 miles on it and I did the first oil change at 4,050 miles with conventional Chevron 5w30 oil. At the second oil change with 11,325 miles, I switched over to Mobil 1 Truck & SUV formula 5w30.

It was fine until at about a little over 6,000 miles since the last oil change, I checked the dipstick and it looked to be a quart to a quart and a half low. Coincidentally, our previous 2005 Cadillac Escalade did the same thing. At about 6,000 miles, it consumed Mobil 1, but not conventional oil. Our 2007 NEVER consumed a drop of the conventional Chevron 5w30.

Anyone know why both of our Escalades consume Mobil 1 and not a drop of conventional oil besides the obvious reasons? Is there something wrong with GM's truck motors?

Cadillac and Mobil announced that all 2008 Cadillac Escalades will be factory fill with Mobil 1 5w30, so I wonder if they will have an oil consumption issue and a lot of owner complaints. I think they will.

I can always switch back to conventional oil, but I went with Mobil 1 so I could go longer between oil changes since my wife uses it a lot for work and I can't keep taking it in for oil changes.

SG

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
SG, did you change the oil yourself or have it done? I just went and checked the oil in my newest 07', it's been just over 5k miles since I changed the oil for the second time (I only keep the first oil 500-1000 miles) and not missing a drop, I use Amsoil series 2000 0-30 oil. Did you look under the truck to make sure none is leaking either while sitting or driving? Whoever did the oil change did they put in 6 quarts or 5? While I do not like Mobil 1 it is better than standard oils for sure, if you are buring it the exhaust pipes should should signs of the oil in the tail pipe. These are high performance engines and it would not be uncommon to use a quart every 3500-5000 miles, my 02' & 03' Z06 did this. :)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SG, did you change the oil yourself or have it done? I just went and checked the oil in my newest 07', it's been just over 5k miles since I changed the oil for the second time (I only keep the first oil 500-1000 miles) and not missing a drop, I use Amsoil series 2000 0-30 oil. Did you look under the truck to make sure none is leaking either while sitting or driving? Whoever did the oil change did they put in 6 quarts or 5? While I do not like Mobil 1 it is better than standard oils for sure, if you are buring it the exhaust pipes should should signs of the oil in the tail pipe. These are high performance engines and it would not be uncommon to use a quart every 3500-5000 miles, my 02' & 03' Z06 did this. :)
hcvone,

I gave the Cadillac dealer 6 quarts of Mobil 1 Truck & SUV formula along with a Mobil 1 oil filter. I checked the level after they changed it and it was full. I also checked it every 1,000 miles and it was fine right until just after the 6,000 mile interval mark. The oil was down at least 1-1.5 quarts.

No leaks under the car at all and the tailpipe is black on the inside.

Funny thing is that it never burned conventional oil at all. Not a drop!

I took it down to LAPD today for an oil change. It was around 7300 miles since I changed it back on April 30. I took my own oil and filter and watched them put in all 6 quarts of the Mobil 1, so I know it's full as they showed me the dipstick.

I also got a baseline dyno, installed a K&N Aircharger and had LAPD custom dyno tune it. I got 25 RWHP and 25 RWTQ increase over stock!!

Now the truck really moves with less effort on the throttle. Much less effort.
Doug at LAPD did a great job on the tune and we are now enjoying the drive a lot more now.

SG

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
That is just strange, I would check it every 1000 miles for a while to see what happens. :confused:

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is just strange, I would check it every 1000 miles for a while to see what happens. :confused:
I will check it every 1,000 miles like I was before. I don't know why at around the 6,000 mile interval mark, the engine starts consuming Mobil 1. It isn't the first Escalade that we had do this either, so the truck motors may not like Synthetic oil at all or at least Mobil 1.

Who knows? Very strange.

Check out my before and after dyno sheet though! Truck runs awesome now!

SG

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I have had a ton of GM trucks and used Red Line for year before switching to Amsoil about 10 years ago, never had an oil use issue, my one 07' has about 15k miles and the other 4k, just strange.

·
Registered
2003 SLS
322 Posts
Some Cadillac engines burn oil. I've heard it many times before. Why? It's a high performance machine powering your unit.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some Cadillac engines burn oil. I've heard it many times before. Why? It's a high performance machine powering your unit.
My 2007 STS-V came factory filled with Mobil 1 and with almost 4,000 miles of abusive hard miles, it hasn't consumed a drop of oil. The STS-V engine is a high performance engine being that it is equipped with a supercharger. I don't consider the 6.2L L92 engine found in the Escalade as a high performance one. It should NOT be consuming ANY oil at all.

SG

·
Registered
06 CTS-V (sold)
680 Posts
One reason why you might see increased oil loss in some oils and not others is that all oils don't have the same volatility, e.g. some evaporate off at higher rates than others. Though a little dated now, these two AMSOIL commissioned tests illustrate my point (read the NOACK Volatility part):
Comparative Motor Oil Test Nov 05
Comparative Motor Oil Test Dec 03

While I'm fairly new to this forum, I've been on the various Corvette Forums for years and after reading many threads on those forums related to oil loss, I believe that in addition to variations in the oil used, driving patterns can have an impact. Drivers that spend a lot of time at higher rpm, especially in low load conditions, seem to see more oil loss than those that cruise around in low rpms. If your wife's driving patterns did not change, than the difference in oil loss is probably more likely due to the oil than anything else. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One reason why you might see increased oil loss in some oils and not others is that all oils don't have the same volatility, e.g. some evaporate off at higher rates than others. Though a little dated now, these two AMSOIL commissioned tests illustrate my point (read the NOACK Volatility part):
Comparative Motor Oil Test Nov 05
Comparative Motor Oil Test Dec 03

While I'm fairly new to this forum, I've been on the various Corvette Forums for years and after reading many threads on those forums related to oil loss, I believe that in addition to variations in the oil used, driving patterns can have an impact. Drivers that spend a lot of time at higher rpm, especially in low load conditions, seem to see more oil loss than those that cruise around in low rpms. If your wife's driving patterns did not change, than the difference in oil loss is probably more likely due to the oil than anything else. :cheers:
Thanks for the info! It seems that while Mobil 1 is a good oil, it's not great for use in my wife's Escalade. I may switch back to conventional oil with a Mobil 1 oil filter and then I won't have to worry about oil consumption.

I don't know if I would spend a lot of money on a higher grade oil like AMSOIL, unless I owned the vehicle. The 2007 Escalade we have is a 2 year lease and we have had it for about a year now, so there was no point for me to even use Mobil 1, but Wal-Mart had it real cheap and my wife drives a lot and can't be without the car for even a day. I figured if she can go 10,000 miles with the Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter, the oil would more than pay for itself being that it was: $25.00 for 6 quarts. I changed the oil after about 7100 miles just this past Thursday because it was low, so I figured I would change it instead of topping it off so my wife could go another 7,000 miles of driving without worrying about another oil change anytime soon.

I will continue to monitor the oil level again and hope that it doesn't consume oil. 6,000 miles seems to be the magic number where the oil starts getting low. If we ever purchase a new vehicle instead of leasing it, I will run AMSOIL.

SG

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
It's a lease, no need to worry about adding oil then ;) If I had lease cars they would get standard oil only. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts