Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DTS (Base: 1SB)
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2007 DTS (Lux 1) 2 weeks ago. It has 105,000 Miles on it. No issues at all. Paid $3000. Just wondering if there are any maintenance type things I should be looking at with the odometer just passing the 100K mark? This is my first Cadillac & I am trying to be proactive. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice. Ty

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum
542 Posts
View attachment 601484
I just picked up this 2007 DTS (Lux 1) 2 weeks ago. It has 105,000 Miles on it. No issues at all. Paid $3000. Just wondering if there are any maintenance type things I should be looking at with the odometer just passing the 100K mark? This is my first post here , any thoughts are welcome. Ty
Replace the tensioner pulley on the water pump belt. They've been known to fail well before 100k and ruin the water pump, which is an expensive repair. It's a cheap part and not difficult to fix yourself. Hopefully, the coolant has been changed in the last 14 years, but if you don't have proof, assume the worst.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,407 Posts
Your maintenance questions have been moved here from the "Show Us Your DTS" picture thread.

Owner's manual, scheduled service section.

Serpentine and water pump drive belt tensioner pulleys and idler pulleys.

Subscribe the car to a multi-year deal at www.alldatadiy.com - the online GM/Cadillac service manuals.

Study ALL the sticky threads, marked with a push pin, in any forum of interest. Timeless info.

You are now on a very steep learning curve.

Welcome to the Funny Farm !!!

·
Registered
NONE
42 Posts
The oil, transmission fluid, and coolant.

Make sure they use the right transmission fluid.

I use mobil 1 oil and change based on the on-board oil life.

Drive it and pay attention to what it is telling you back and fix issues when they occur.

Good price if it is in good shape. My 07 has twice that, and I would not take $3000 for it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Replace the tensioner pulley on the water pump belt. They've been known to fail well before 100k and ruin the water pump, which is an expensive repair. It's a cheap part and not difficult to fix yourself. Hopefully, the coolant has been changed in the last 14 years, but if you don't have proof, assume the worst.
Thank you for reply & suggestions.

Your maintenance questions have been moved here from the "Show Us Your DTS" picture thread.

Owner's manual, scheduled service section.

Serpentine and water pump drive belt tensioner pulleys and idler pulleys.

Subscribe the car to a multi-year deal at www.alldatadiy.com - the online GM/Cadillac service manuals.

Study ALL the sticky threads, marked with a push pin, in any forum of interest. Timeless info.

You are now on a very steep learning curve.

Welcome to the Funny Farm !!!
My mistake on posting on the wrong thread, which led to me making a duplicate post. Thank you for your reply. Looks like I’m going to be doing a lot of reading.📚📌

Drive it and pay attention to what it is telling you back and fix issues when they occur.

Good price if it is in good shape. My 07 has twice that, and I would not take $3000 for it.

I kinda fell into the car, one of those right-place right-time type deals. Aside from some minor wear & tear in some spots with paint chipping, everything works. I was thinking it was a good price. One thing I had to do twice already was “re-learn tire position” with the TPMS sensor. It seems the front passenger side tire keeps loosing its signal or something. Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum
542 Posts
If you see a -- instead of the psi number, the sensor could be loose (that would happen with one when I floored it), or the battery could be on its last electrons. I just had one replaced, and it was a lot pricier than they were on Devilles and Trailblazers. I've also had to replace valve stems with very slow leaks on several old cars, and now 2 tires which may have wheel corrosion causing slow leaks, because they can't find anything else wrong. Got me a cheapo foot pump at Harbor Freight when the Exxon in sight started charging $1.50 for air.

·
Premium Member
2007 DTS Lux II, 2009 Escalade 6.2L.
304 Posts
Just got 120 with mine did 07 lux 2 at 116 when I got it I did a coolant flush just did serpentine belt tranny fluid change/ filter. You’re in the right place my friend. These guys and gals have helped me and answered a billion questions. Awesome forum. - Oh yeah, drive it hard from time to time she likes it lol 👍

·
Registered
NONE
42 Posts
I kinda fell into the car, one of those right-place right-time type deals. Aside from some minor wear & tear in some spots with paint chipping, everything works. I was thinking it was a good price. One thing I had to do twice already was “re-learn tire position” with the TPMS sensor. It seems the front passenger side tire keeps loosing its signal or something. Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
Ive had one do that on occasion. Most of time they start reporting again off and on before they fail completely.

I just have them replace the single one when I rotate or otherwise swap a tire. This is based on 2 DTSs and my Escalade over the past 5 years and my 07 Yukon before that. I’ve replaced maybe 4 sensors.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive had one do that on occasion. Most of time they start reporting again off and on before they fail completely.

I just have them replace the single one when I rotate or otherwise swap a tire. This is based on 2 DTSs and my Escalade over the past 5 years and my 07 Yukon before that. I’ve replaced maybe 4 sensors.
That is what the front-passenger sensor is doing. I will have psi readings on the other 3 & “- - -“ on that one. Then after a little time I get the “- - -“ for all. This time I couldn’t get past the 2nd(front-passenger) tire when I tried to reset the TPMS. I m guessing there is a problem with that tire’s sensor. Thank you for the information.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If the tire sensors are original you should replace them soon as the expected battery life is 10 years. A weak battery will cause the lose of signal you are experiencing. Check the shocks and struts for leaks and worn bushings. Def change all the fluids as stated and then as you drive the DTS observe anything that could need attention like the front end steering components You will enjoy driving the DTS it's a great car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum. If the tire sensors are original you should replace them soon as the expected battery life is 10 years. A weak battery will cause the lose of signal you are experiencing. Check the shocks and struts for leaks and worn bushings. Def change all the fluids as stated and then as you drive the DTS observe anything that could need attention like the front end steering components You will enjoy driving the DTS it's a great car.
Thank you for the welcome and information. The change of fluids appears to be the one suggestion I have gotten.

I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to give me suggestions from your knowledge and experience. I gotta say the willingness of the Member’s to help out a newbie is awesome. Thanks again to all.

To have the Transmission and coolant fluids changed would you recommend taking my car to a garage that specializes in Cadillac’s? Meaning is the process pretty much the same for all makes/models or is there specific things you need to do when changing the fluids on the DTS? Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question. It’s just my nature to ask 1st rather than pay for it later.

·
Registered
NONE
42 Posts
To have the Transmission and coolant fluids changed would you recommend taking my car to a garage that specializes in Cadillac’s? Meaning is the process pretty much the same for all makes/models or is there specific things you need to do when changing the fluids on the DTS? Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question. It’s just my nature to ask 1st rather than pay for it later.

Any quality shop with attention to detail should be fine.

My biggest worry is some of the cheaper fluids out there that are not actually Dexron VI compliant. Look carefully.

I had a couple of parts stores tell me Dex/Merc was Dexron VI compatible. The three I looked at were not.

Make 100% sure it is Dexron VI.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any quality shop with attention to detail should be fine.

My biggest worry is some of the cheaper fluids out there that are not actually Dexron VI compliant. Look carefully.

I had a couple of parts stores tell me Dex/Merc was Dexron VI compatible. The three I looked at were not.

Make 100% sure it is Dexron VI.
Thanks agin, much appreciated.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,852 Posts
Ask for a pan drop and filter change. Make sure they know about the bolt inside the trans after pan is off that holds more fluid that needs to be drained.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ask for a pan drop and filter change. Make sure they know about the bolt inside the trans after pan is off that holds more fluid that needs to be drained. View attachment 601529
I appreciate the detailed information. I will actually sound like I know what I’m talking about when I go get this done. Ha

·
Premium Member
2007 DTS Lux II, 2009 Escalade 6.2L.
304 Posts
I appreciate the detailed information. I will actually sound like I know what I’m talking about when I go get this done. Ha
You can call around the mom and pop shops, ask if they have a mechanic in there that specializes in GM/Cadillac. Chances are they have at least one
Mechanic that does. Don’t go to the dealer unless money is no issue.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
256 Posts
I can't really add very much to what has already been suggested. Spend the next handful of weeks keeping a close eye on everything and getting to know your car. Since it was purchased "used" you really have to step up your game unless you were provided a folder full of maintenance records. Other than doing all the regular maintenance requirements now, I would also check all the little things... make sure the keys work in the doors and glove box, test the air conditioner/heater in all positions and make sure they're operating properly. Check the wipers, you don't want the first rain to hit you and then find out they're shot. Test every function in the seats etc etc., like I said, spend some time with your new car.

With that said... Welcome to the forums. I'm not one of the experts here but I have found answers to just about every question (stupid or otherwise) that has come up in the last 4 years of owning my DTS. This is a great place for DTS owners.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum
542 Posts
test the air conditioner/heater in all positions and make sure they're operating properly.
I discovered too late that the driver's side heat turns to cold after about 15 minutes. That explained why CarMax sent it from Michigan to Florida to sell. Fortunately, I rarely take long trips in winter, so I just taped over the floor vents.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts