Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2007 DTS Performance and the brake lights stay on when the ignition is turned on. When I use the brakes they go off for about 2 seconds then come back on. They don't stay on when ignition is off. I changed the brake light switch. The master cylinder. Does anyone know what this issue could be?? I love the car and got a good price on it with only 84,000 miles and expect to have some bugs to work out but this braka light issue is something concerning.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
2,082 Posts
Unfortunately you changed the master cylinder for no reason has nothing to do with the brake light sensor. The sensor is not a switch and needs to be calibrated by a scan tool the dealer has to function properly. Some shops will have the needed scan tool but a trip to the dealer will resolve your issue. I know you are trying to save money but randomly replacing parts you end up paying more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a SUPER deal on this car with only 84,000 for 3,500. I expect to spend some coin to keep it up and with that kind of deal I think it will be worth it. I expect to get at least another 100,000 miles with proper maintenance. I pulled the carfax and the first 63,000 miles this car was impeccably maintained. The reason I bought it. Cadillacs have too many high tech features and need to be taken care of. I intend to continue this.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
2,082 Posts
I got a SUPER deal on this car with only 84,000 for 3,500. I expect to spend some coin to keep it up and with that kind of deal I think it will be worth it. I expect to get at least another 100,000 miles with proper maintenance. I pulled the carfax and the first 63,000 miles this car was impeccably maintained. The reason I bought it. Cadillacs have too many high tech features and need to be taken care of. I intend to continue this.
Sounds like you got a well cared for DTS. the northstar engine can definitely do 200k plus miles. I've seen some go past 300k.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
8 Posts
Unfortunately you changed the master cylinder for no reason has nothing to do with the brake light sensor. The sensor is not a switch and needs to be calibrated by a scan tool the dealer has to function properly. Some shops will have the needed scan tool but a trip to the dealer will resolve your issue. I know you are trying to save money but randomly replacing parts you end up paying more.
So I just replaced my brake light switch, and now the lights stay on when car is running, so I have to get my car calibrated?

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
76,825 Posts
So I just replaced my brake light switch....................
The brake light switch should be self-adjusting in the snap-in retainer at the top of the pedal arm. If it's pushed too far in the switch stays closed, brake lights stay on, and Cruise will not engage.

Specific instructions for YOUR year/model in the online genuine GM/Cadillac/Helm service manuals in www.alldatadiy.com.

Your vehicle year and model has been added to your username bar so we know what we're working on. :cool:

Reactions: Omac
1 - 10 of 10 Posts