Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a used 2007 DTS with 170k on it. Dealer says it’s in excellent condition but any problems that people have had in the past with this model? Would you recommend or should I hold off? Also how expensive are parts to replace?

· Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
79,967 Posts
Lol but now I'm A DTS guy 11, bought it today ?
Congratulations !!! Keep it clean and don't be afraid to let it all hang out once in a while: That Northstar NEEDS to be run hard every so often.

· Registered
08 DTS
108 Posts
Looking at buying a used 2007 DTS with 170k on it. Dealer says it’s in excellent condition but any problems that people have had in the past with this model? Would you recommend or should I hold off? Also how expensive are parts to replace?
bro you're buying a 2007 with 170k miles on it? do yourself a favor and buy a civic or something

i mean obviously we all love this car here but that sounds like a terrible decision

· Registered
2 Posts
I am on my 3rd Caddy and have a 07 DTS Luxury edition with 78k miles on it. I really enjoy all of the comforts that it has. The Cruise Control (adaptive) is finnicky. Overall I don't regret buying used at all.

· Registered
2008 DTS
2 Posts
I have a 2008 DTS luxury purchase in April of this year with 97k on the odometer. Purchased cash from a Cadillac dealer. Purchased 4 Vouge Tyres and it rides like a dream. It’s almost a good as the 1997 Deville I owned in the early 2000’s. I just got it back today after replacing the fuel pump, battery and fuse box. The entire job cost $737.00 which was common for these cars. Although,I also own a 2013 Avalon,2001 Lexus RX300, 2006 Lexus LS430, and a 2014 Corvette 7 speed manual however, the DTS is my 1st choice to drive. The leather interior held up well and gas mileage is the same as the Corvette. Man enjoy your car and stay up on the maintenance it will years of pleasure.

· Registered
2014 XTS
7 Posts
Im in the process of buying 2011 dts wit 113,000 from what I hear from this forum is positive, so go for a good price, im not at all a mechanic, lol im just a caddy deville kind of guy

· Registered
2014 XTS
7 Posts
I traded my 2007 DTS for a 2014 XTS. Liked the 2007 much better. wish I had kept it. It was coming up on 100K and still ran well.Caddy mechanic told me Northstar was good for at least 130k. I'm partial to 8 cyl. anyway. Always burned hi-test. manual states you may get a little extra kick. If I found one with decent mil.in good shape I would be tempted. Think I replaced a wheel bearing and a brake line while I owned it
Good Luck to anyone buying a classic DTS

· Premium Member
Cadillac
2,317 Posts
When did the issue with the Northstar heads pulling the head bolts out of the block stop? Was that an early 2000's issue or ?

· Registered
2 Posts
I traded my 2007 DTS for a 2014 XTS. Liked the 2007 much better. wish I had kept it. It was coming up on 100K and still ran well.Caddy mechanic told me Northstar was good for at least 130k. I'm partial to 8 cyl. anyway. Always burned hi-test. manual states you may get a little extra kick. If I found one with decent mil.in good shape I would be tempted. Think I replaced a wheel bearing and a brake line while I owned it
Good Luck to anyone buying a classic DTS
I am not surprised at your comments @Iaggatto I have heard the same from others. I have been observing the XTS and it does not seem to be a suitable replacement for the DTS / Deville. I believe that the CT6 is much closer but also much more expensive. The comfort of the DTS is hard to beat. I have also driven German, Korean and Japanese luxury vehicles and much prefer the Caddy ride.

· 2011 DTS
2011 DTS Luxury II
68 Posts
At present, the CT6 is about as close as you can get to the DTS as far as ride is concerned. I'm partial to V8s in Luxury cars because that's what's always worked for me. GM should have stuck with the Northstar -- it was a great engine and had they developed it further, it would have been a totally bullet-proof design.

That said, I recently rode in my friend's 2010 Town Car/Continental, and it was a classic luxurious RWD ride -- It would be a hard choice between the DTS and the Continental -- if there were a good used example for sale.

· Registered
2011 DTS Premium
238 Posts
That said, I recently rode in my friend's 2010 Town Car/Continental, and it was a classic luxurious RWD ride -- It would be a hard choice between the DTS and the Continental -- if there were a good used example for sale.
Not really. The TownCar lacks ventilated seats, Bluetooth, nav, and a lot of the little things that make the DTS stand out (heated steering wheel, LED taillights, HID etc.). Unless you're referring to the MKS, which is superior to both in most measurable ways (except used price).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.