Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! First post here. I have a 2007 DTS with 104K. Very few problems to this point. Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed decreased acceleration/loss of power, like the engine "bogs down" even though I'm stepping on the gas, primarily upon a cold start in the mornings when I leave for work. Once I get going and the car warms up, it improves greatly, but still doesn't have the "get up & go" it used to. I attributed this to cold weather & an 8 year old car.

Last night when I went to leave work, my car had been sitting in the cold parking lot for 8 hours. I started it, backed out of my parking spot with not much power. Put it in drive and the car rolled back slightly and would not go forward, even though I was accelerating. It bogged down hard & wouldn't accelerate at all. Let it warm up for a few minutes, shut it off & restarted a couple of times, and finally got moving. After that, it was totally fine.

One shop suggested it was not the transmission and may be a clogged catalytic converter.

It has never stalled on me or died. Just the severe bogging down upon start-up. No warning/engine lights on.

Thoughts on what to check? I'm a female and don't want to get docked $1100 for 2 cats at a repair shop if I don't need them.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
The car is designed to start with no preheat at -27F. When forced to start at -40F it is designed to go to full power with no hesitation and run smoothly. The next time it bogs, push the blue OnStar button and ask them to read out the trouble codes for you.

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
I would check the tranny fluid.

Drive 10-15 minutes park go through the gears slowly, put the car in park and check the fluid level.

You only have one cat.
A clogged cat usually shows up more under load at higher speeds not pulling away from a stop.
Could be the torque convertor?

See if the T/C locks up at 45-50 MPH?
Do you hear any noise coming from the T/C when it was having trouble pulling away from a cold start?

·
Registered
2007 DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! :)

The shop told me there was a left & right catalytic converter. I honestly have no idea. :) I hate to sound dumb, I just don't know.

There are NO other noises or problems aside from the bogging down when starting up & driving. It starts fine & quickly, idles totally normally, nothing locks up, no jerking. It does shift a little rough sometimes - not really bad, but enough to make it noticeable.

The last time I had the oil changed they did mention it might need a fluid flush.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,455 Posts
If the car has 100,000 miles or less, it doesn't need a transmission fluid flush or change unless you regularly tow a trailer or do extensive high mountain driving. (Owner's manual, maintenance schedule).

Do you - or your shop - know how to correctly check fluid level ??? Do you open the hood every 2 weeks and perform necessary fluid and mechanical checks ?

Your transmission is a dry sump unit - there should be NO fluid on the (transmission) dipstick with the engine OFF. Check level only with the engine hot, idling in P on a level surface. ("Hot" = a drive of at least 12 miles in cool/cold weather)

Anyone - do these later non-Devilles have a transmission OLM ? (The Acronyms sticky on the main threads page for Seville or Deville)

·
Registered
2007 DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has 104K miles and I commute 14 miles each day in obnoxious stop & go traffic. It has been on several long highway road trips over the past year. No towing or mountain driving.

I know how to check oil, but have not checked trans fluid. My husband knows how though. He's pretty handy with cars but has been overwhelmed with work hours lately, so this was on the back burner until this weekend. It just got bad enough last night that it needs to be addressed asap. I sent him this info & he's going to check it this evening.

Funny - last time we had the oil changed they suggested it needed a trans fluid flush. We were on a tight schedule that day but decided to bring it back last Friday. My husband mentioned the loss of acceleration. Once he said that, they wouldn't even touch the car, refused to do the trans flush or even open the hood, and told us to take it somewhere else because it was probably the converter. So frustrating if that ends up being the issue!

·
Registered
688 Posts
If the car has 100,000 miles or less, it doesn't need a transmission fluid flush or change unless you regularly tow a trailer or do extensive high mountain driving. (Owner's manual, maintenance schedule).

Do you - or your shop - know how to correctly check fluid level ??? Do you open the hood every 2 weeks and perform necessary fluid and mechanical checks ?

Your transmission is a dry sump unit - there should be NO fluid on the (transmission) dipstick with the engine OFF. Check level only with the engine hot, idling in P on a level surface. ("Hot" = a drive of at least 12 miles in cool/cold weather)

Anyone - do these later non-Devilles have a transmission OLM ? (The Acronyms sticky on the main threads page for Seville or Deville)
No they do not.

----------

Thanks, guys! :)

The shop told me there was a left & right catalytic converter. I honestly have no idea. :) I hate to sound dumb, I just don't know.

There are NO other noises or problems aside from the bogging down when starting up & driving. It starts fine & quickly, idles totally normally, nothing locks up, no jerking. It does shift a little rough sometimes - not really bad, but enough to make it noticeable.

The last time I had the oil changed they did mention it might need a fluid flush.
The T/C locks up at 45MPH which drops the RPM's.

You don't feel anything but you can see the RPM's drop when it engages. Going at 70MPH the RPM's should read 1900-2000 if the T/C is working properly if not the RPM's will read 2400-3000.
That is an easy test you can do yourself without bothering you're husband, just go for a drive.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
404 Posts
In 2005, they changed the design of the torque converter from fluid controlled to electronic controlled. This eliminated most of those TCC problems.

·
Registered
688 Posts
In 2005, they changed the design of the torque converter from fluid controlled to electronic controlled. This eliminated most of those TCC problems.
Thanks.

So you think the OP's problem is with the tranny alone?

·
Registered
2007 DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Checked the transmission fluid and it was pretty low. Added some and now it runs completely fine with no issues. So annoying/frustrating that the original shop who told us it might need flushed didn't catch that, but oh well. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
If it loosing transmisión fluid look for where coming from . If is leaking from the front connector by the water pump that's the cooler connector of the transmission change it at soon as possible. The line pop out when it leak. The part cost around 15 buck a new transmission 2k.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts