Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the alternator and about 3 weeks after the alternator replacement, the DIC started acting up..... flashing multiple issues then going dark and coming back on again, as if it was 're-setting' itself. I first thought that maybe the new alternator is a dud but while driving and watching the battery indicator on the DIC, it always says 14.3 - 14.7. Also put it on the meter with same results... 14.3 - 14.7

I read the codes and have codes C0281 & C0900

So anyway, here is where I am at.... the issue with the DIC display only happens when I am stopped, with the car in drive and my foot on the brake (like at a red light). After about 15 - 30 seconds after stopping, the RPMs start to fluctuate (500-600) and the DIC battery indicator reading steadily drops from 14.7 to as low as 12 sometimes. Once the reading goes below 12, the DIC gives up and goes dark. As soon as I start moving again, the DIC comes back on and the battery indicator reading indicates 14.7 and all is well again.

I feel like the alternator is not the issue. Does this sound like an EBCM problem?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
527 Posts
The C0900 suggests a short or other type of power interruption to the control module, and this could result from a poor connection at the new alternator. However I would expect a problem with the alternator connections to appear right after the install, unless something came lose or otherwise failed. A quick DIY approach to test your alternator installation is to disconnect the neg battery terminal, unplug the alternator and apply dielectric grease to the contacts, disconnect and reconnect the power wire on the back of the alternator, and then put everything back together and try again. If it continues to have the same symptoms, then you could rule out the alternator connections and look elsewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will re-check the alternator this weekend. Do you have any idea why this only happens when stopped, at low RPM and with my foot on the brake?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
527 Posts
I don't. Unless this has something to do with the ABS module's electrical connection (?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts