Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Cadillac CTS, 3.6L with FE 1 suspension.
Problem: excessive rattling, clunking, thumping, and rumbling from the front end, especially at low speeds over washboard road conditions. Local independent auto shop replaced the sway bar links and that eliminated the rattling but not the clunking and thumping. The Cadillac dealer who sold me the (used) car took it on a road test and confirmed the condition. Subsequently, they checked the suspension and said struts were OK, little bit of free play in lower control arms but not enough to cause the bad ride. Dealer recommended replacing tires and monitoring the lower control arms for additional wear.
After reading similar problems on this forum, I’ve asked my local mechanic to replace the front struts. In the course of checking parts and prices, he called the same Caddy dealer and checked on strut availability. Dealership told him struts were available but strut mounts were on back order. Also, it turns out the strut mounts are very expensive and the total of parts and labor (struts and strut mounts) almost double the bill compared to replacing the struts alone.
So my question is: are strut mounts an issue? Is there any trend of strut mounts going bad? My thought is that the dealer is simply telling customers to replace struts and the mounts at the same time whether the mounts are bad or not. Let’s face it, dealers have high overhead and need to generate revenues and they do that in the service bays. The local shop doing the work for me is leaning towards replacing struts with factory items but they’re concerned the mounts might be bad and that they won’t know until they take the struts off.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
2007 Cadillac CTS, 3.6L with FE 1 suspension.
Problem: excessive rattling, clunking, thumping, and rumbling from the front end, especially at low speeds over washboard road conditions. Local independent auto shop replaced the sway bar links and that eliminated the rattling but not the clunking and thumping. The Cadillac dealer who sold me the (used) car took it on a road test and confirmed the condition. Subsequently, they checked the suspension and said struts were OK, little bit of free play in lower control arms but not enough to cause the bad ride. Dealer recommended replacing tires and monitoring the lower control arms for additional wear.
After reading similar problems on this forum, I’ve asked my local mechanic to replace the front struts. In the course of checking parts and prices, he called the same Caddy dealer and checked on strut availability. Dealership told him struts were available but strut mounts were on back order. Also, it turns out the strut mounts are very expensive and the total of parts and labor (struts and strut mounts) almost double the bill compared to replacing the struts alone.
So my question is: are strut mounts an issue? Is there any trend of strut mounts going bad? My thought is that the dealer is simply telling customers to replace struts and the mounts at the same time whether the mounts are bad or not. Let’s face it, dealers have high overhead and need to generate revenues and they do that in the service bays. The local shop doing the work for me is leaning towards replacing struts with factory items but they’re concerned the mounts might be bad and that they won’t know until they take the struts off.
Thoughts?
did they do sway bar bushings at the same time?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
i was just going to say sway bushings.
mine were clunking over speedbumps, i just changed mine yesterday when i put the V bars on and no more noise at all...just make sure they are greased up good or they will wear out.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Cts
162 Posts
yea i gotta agree check the bushings because they will definitly cause a clunking and are way cheaper to replace than having to replace the struts

·
Registered
2007 CTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replacing the sway bushings didn't make any difference. The solution was to replace the front struts - cost me $600. Rides perfect - no more thunking, clunking, and banging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the identical story EdfromVa, Just purchased '07 CTS Sport with the exact same symptoms... Cadillac dealer Service Advisor recommended replacing noisy and worn struts. Okay... estimate is $1,200, "wonderful". I just bought it a few days ago, missed the noise on my test-drive so I'm stuck paying out another thousand dollars "that I don't have right now because I just bought a car". So I'd just like to say, that if Cadillac is making a high-end car that rides on struts that last no more than a few years or 37,000 miles... I'd really prefer that they go back to the old engineering that provided GM owners with shocks that lasted 5-10 years, or (the way I remember it) that would be the time when most dads decide to give the old car to the kids because it was getting rusty and starting to bounce funny.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I have the identical story EdfromVa, Just purchased '07 CTS Sport with the exact same symptoms... Cadillac dealer Service Advisor recommended replacing noisy and worn struts. Okay... estimate is $1,200, "wonderful". I just bought it a few days ago, missed the noise on my test-drive so I'm stuck paying out another thousand dollars "that I don't have right now because I just bought a car". So I'd just like to say, that if Cadillac is making a high-end car that rides on struts that last no more than a few years or 37,000 miles... I'd really prefer that they go back to the old engineering that provided GM owners with shocks that lasted 5-10 years, or (the way I remember it) that would be the time when most dads decide to give the old car to the kids because it was getting rusty and starting to bounce funny.
although i am not suprised by that price, im also looking at it thinking you do not have load leveling suspension otherwise it would be double that.
so jump on the KYB shocks for about $400 you can get all 4 and they are by a good company. labor will be about 1hr per side. not sure how many shocks the dealer is saying they are replacing, im going to guess 2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Mike, Yes it is an estimate for two front struts. A little suprised that there aren't more complaints regarding early strut failure, 'cause this CTS I just bought is like brand new and pampered. Something in the engineering of these of these CTV struts is substandard... obviously. Thanks for the advice to go KYB... I'll definately look into that option!

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
i dont know what ctv shocks are? do you mean cts or cts-v?
there are many different OEM factory) suspensions for the cts...just a observation, all the FE3 suspensions last longer when under normal driving conditions...my theroy behind this is theya re a stronger thicker shock designed to take a little more abuse, so under normal driving they dont get the workout they can handle...thus lasting longer.
im at 100 miles on my stock FE3 shocks, no leaks and still very stiff. i just lowered my car this year as well, putting more strain on them.
i wish there was a shock out there with adjustable dampening rates that iworks with the cts....other than the coilovers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oops... spelling error on my post, meant to spell CTS not CTV. Anyway, thanks for suggestion Mike, I'm getting KYB struts done this week. Cheers.

·
Registered
Cadillac
63 Posts
mine did the same thing bushings were replaced but it still did it, finally they replaced the struts and all noise went away.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I'd go Monroe over KYB, since KYB shocks tend to be too hard of a ride.

The Upper strut mount... is not easy to replace IMO.

The main causes for all these goddamn suspension noises up front have been:
-Sway bar bushings
-Sway bar links
-Hood hinge bolt on driver side

Also, if there is any play in the front tires, etc, check the tierod and make sure its not shot. There shouldn't be "play" in the lower control arms.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 , 74 chevy caprice
395 Posts
not sure if i need them . before when on the freeway my car felt like the front passenger wheel was shaking as i could feel in the steeringwheel. now i got 22s and it got worse bot i got the front right balanced and it got better gonna balance drivers side now. what r the symptoms of bad control bushings or ball joints?

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2005 CTS, Gone, given to dad!
330 Posts
I have been chasing a clicking noise on mine as well. http://gmpartsdirect.com/ has upper and lower control arms. Both upper and lower control arms were fun to replace. Still haven't solved my problem.

odthetruth, Hood hinge bolt on driver side? hummm. maybe that my problem? Sometimes my hood doesn't pop open.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts