Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow driver pulled up next to me to tell me that my break lights were not functioning. I assumed my bulbs were bad so I replaced them. I then realized that my break lights were always on. What is this about? What is it going to cost me?? Is this a DIY type problem if you have intermediate skills???

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Question 1... Hover your foot over the brake pedal for this test, do Not touch it until the car moves. Can you move the gear shifter from Park at all? If so, then the problem is a very good chance it’s the brake pedal switch.

Question 2... Can you enable cruise control at all? If so, what happens when you touch the brake pedal? Does it disengage the cruise control or nothing?

I had a 3rd question, but can’t think of it right now. But those two would suffice for now.

KOT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question 1... Hover your foot over the brake pedal for this test, do Not touch it until the car moves. Can you move the gear shifter from Park at all? If so, then the problem is a very good chance it’s the brake pedal switch.

Question 2... Can you enable cruise control at all? If so, what happens when you touch the brake pedal? Does it disengage the cruise control or nothing?

I had a 3rd question, but can’t think of it right now. But those two would suffice for now.

KOT
Gear shift works fine. Rarely do I ever use cruise control. I have tried break pedal in neutral, reverse and drive...no difference; lights are still bright. Im concerned because I have spent a lot on this car in recent months (new pipes from engine to tail in including catalytic converter and mufflers, drive shaft support etc..) where does it end?

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
First, it’s spelt brake in this case.

Second, please elaborate on the gear shift working properly. Did you follow my instructions? In other words did you try to move the gear shifter without applying the brake pedal?

Third, whether you use cruise control or not... Do the test. It’s apart of the diagnosis process. When you go to the doctor’s office for a breathing problem and they ask you to breathe deeply as they listen to your lungs. You’re not going to say “I don’t normally breathe deeply.”

KOT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts