Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is not a duplicate post, the original was sent in sometime ago and does not appear yet.
I have a great deal on a new 2007 CTS but have read reviews that they are terrible in the snow. Living in PA. I do some driving in the snow and would not want to be disappointed in the vehicle. Does anyone have experience driving a CTS in the snow, or any comments.
Thanks

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice
218 Posts
The CTS is not so great in the snow with the all-weather Goodyears (I have the 16" wheels as part of the luxury package), but with 4 wheel snow tires, it's not bad at all. The total cost for a set of wheels and tires should not cost more than $600-700 including the installation. Any car won't be great in snow (including FWD/ 4WD) unless you have the right tires (snow tires in this case). Don't let the snow issue stop you from buying.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be worth the extra $$$ and wait for the 2008. Some reviewers hate the new design.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6
281 Posts
I went through an Allentown winter where plowing does not exist (they are terrible at keeping the streets clean) I used my 07 cts very easily in the snow, just don't drive it like a race car and you'll be ok. its a very good snow car for a RWD. Put snow tires on and you'll be in great shape.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
With a decent set of winter tires, you'll do just fine. It'll plow with the best of 'em. With all-season tires, it's still not bad. We plowed through all kinds of snow in upper Iowa this past January with no real problems - were running Michelin HydroEdge at the time. Not a particulary great snow tire, but it's what was on the car at the time. :)

Personally, I prefer rear-wheel drive regardless of road conditions.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 Garnet Red CTS Luxury Sport
24 Posts
Although I own a 2003 CTS, I think the 2007 is essentially the same car. I made it through a western PA and Cleveland winter. I did get stuck after getting plowed a couple of times but was able to free myself with some effort. I currently don't own snow tires but am considering at least a set for the rear. All in all the roads are kept reasonably clean. Blizzaks are a great tire but wear rather poorly on dry pavemaent so I guess it depends on your driving habits and environment. I drive on the Ohio and PA toll roads which are usually dry.

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
I hope this is not a duplicate post, the original was sent in sometime ago and does not appear yet.
I have a great deal on a new 2007 CTS but have read reviews that they are terrible in the snow. Living in PA. I do some driving in the snow and would not want to be disappointed in the vehicle. Does anyone have experience driving a CTS in the snow, or any comments.
Thanks
I just bought an '07 CTS this past February and I was a little concerned about how it handled in the snow. There were several snow storms after I got it and it handled very well. It was just as good as some front wheel drive cars that I owned. It's a heavy car for its size, so you get some very good traction in the snow. And there are some CTS models that have a limited slip differential that will turn the drive wheel that has better grip on the road.

The only thing that I noticed is if you are in fairly deep snow, you must turn off the traction control. I found that out when I was backing out of my driveway. When I hit the deeper snow in the middle of the street, the wheels just stopped spinning due to the traction control. I turned it off and it pulled out perfectly. Once I got going with regular driving, I turned it back on.

To summarize, I was very surprised and very happy with the way my car handled in snow and ice. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I had an 04 CTS and drove it for it's first year as my primary DD in Michigan with a set of winter tires and wheels. On unpaved, drifted roads, there was some tough slogging, but I never got stuck. Just remember to turn off traction control.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
I've posted this maybe a billion times but...

When I first got my CTS in 2004, I drove it through the whole winter (I live in Canada) with the stock all-season Goodyear tires. NO PROBLEMS. I don't have Stabilitrak on the CTS either. It will fishtail, but who cares. Just don't panic and let it slide, control it.

I now have Dunlop M3 Wintersports on it. I have no idea how they are since I haven't used them yet. Had Goodyear Ultragirp GW3s on it last year. Those were great, but I upgraded the winter wheels to larger ones so I needed new tires.

I've driven my CTS-V through one winter with Blizzak LM22s. Those were solid. My car was like a tank... Never driving it again in snow though.

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT
146 Posts
Live in MI.
2005 CTS

First winter without winter tires was a problem in my subdivision. (I do know how to drive in snow, raised outside Buffalo NY) Snow above 6" was a major problem

Fix: I purchased 16" OEM wheels on ebay and put on Michelin Pilot winter tires - great winter driver.

·
Registered
'03 CTS
116 Posts
Lived in Michigan and now in NJ. Origional Goodyear RSA's were terrible and dealer swapped them out (not because of the poor snow handling) under warranty @ 20K miles. Now runing Michelin MX4's through 2 winters and no issues. Handle's fine. I just don't get stupid with it and use my "snowflake" button.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts