Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Here is my problem,
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L looking for another used engine, every place I called they are asking me,crankshaft key or w/o crankshaft key. There is no way to tell, I did not tear my engine a part yet.
I called Cadillac dealer provide VIN # ...they told me the only way to find out tow the vehicle to them they will tear a part and only
than they can provide me that info.
...is there any other way to find out, before I spend hundreds of $$$??? please let me know

·
Registered
2006 CTS
110 Posts
You should be able to look up a replacement balancer for your engine if it is the original engine. There are two part numbers (based on the short block listing for my 06) one with a key and one without. My factory balancer was a no key version. gmpartscenter.net is an option for some diagrams and parts listings. I am pretty sure you have a keyed version based on the one part number that the web site listed for an 07. You could use the part number and call your local dealer and have them check to see if it was keyed or not. You should also be able to remove the crank pulley/balancer bolt and see if the balancer is keyed or not as well. The keyed version will have a well defined slot, the keyless version has a weird, almost "L" shaped notch like it was going to be keyed and then one side was ground down

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 cadillac CTS, 183K miles and quickly counting. 1982 Honda V45 Sabre. 1989 chevy S10 base.
7 Posts
If you are replacing the whole motor what difference does it make.
Call me a necromancer because I'm gonna bring this thread back from the dead.

I also have an 07 that I need to get a new engine for, and this is a really good question I'd love an answer to!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Call me a necromancer because I'm gonna bring this thread back from the dead.

I also have an 07 that I need to get a new engine for, and this is a really good question I'd love an answer to!
i need to replace an engine mine has a key in the crankshaft,whats the difference in the 2 engines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts