Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 CTS 3.6 higher Oil consumption @60K miles

Has anyone else experienced unusual oil consumption at 60K miles? This seems awfully soon. What does it mean - its a one driver car.

If there's also a prior thread about this, please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >142k miles
1,056 Posts
AFAIK oil consumption has plagued the 3.6 since day 1. However I found that oil consumption depends heavily on driving style (at least for my car). If I drive around town or other short trips it uses very little oil. In contrast, if I drive freeways (sustained higher RPM) it uses considerably more. This oil is getting sucked through the PCV system, as confirmed with a catch can (tank has lots more oil after freeway than it does after non freeway). I have not found a way to solve the issue, so I just check the oil after every two fuel stops and top off as necessary.

And yes, the oil issue has been the subject of many threads!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AFAIK oil consumption has plagued the 3.6 since day 1. However I found that oil consumption depends heavily on driving style (at least for my car). If I drive around town or other short trips it uses very little oil. In contrast, if I drive freeways (sustained higher RPM) it uses considerably more. This oil is getting sucked through the PCV system, as confirmed with a catch can (tank has lots more oil after freeway than it does after non freeway). I have not found a way to solve the issue, so I just check the oil after every two fuel stops and top off as necessary.

And yes, the oil issue has been the subject of many threads!
Thanks for your response. I do a lot of highway driving in that confirms it and my sanity!

Unfortunately, not like my BMW, it has no low oil warning, other than my hand and the dipstick!

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
1,186 Posts
Do you not have this?

It probably doesn't come on until you are 2 or more quarts down.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
851 Posts
Do NOT depend on that. By the time that comes on you are doing permanent expensive damage to the timing chain system in the car. Manually check the oil dipstick at every fill is my advice. Good Luck.

Reactions: RyanY

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do NOT depend on that. By the time that comes on you are doing permanent expensive damage to the timing chain system in the car. Manually check the oil dipstick at every fill is my advice. Good Luck.
Good idea. I agree. I’ve been checking regularly anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts