Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Blue 2007 SRX-4 / White 2000 Deville DHS (Parts Car) / Cashmere 2002 Deville DHS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2007 SRX that has developed a rear diff oil seal leak at the yoke/pinion. I have also noticed that there is a lot of movement in the seal area. The yoke has lots of play. It looks as if a bearing has gone. I have read alot about this recall and wondered if my SRX was covered under this, or will have to buy a new differential at $1000 + tax? I have 106,000 miles on the vehicle so far. The seal looks quite corroded on the steel surround , so it must be quite old.

I have removed the yoke and seal, and the bearing has broken its cage and the outer race has spun in the housing!

·
Registered
Blue 2007 SRX-4 / White 2000 Deville DHS (Parts Car) / Cashmere 2002 Deville DHS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello all,

I have a 2007 SRX that has developed a rear diff oil seal leak at the yoke/pinion. I have also noticed that there is a lot of movement in the seal area. The yoke has lots of play. It looks as if a bearing has gone. I have read alot about this recall and wondered if my SRX was covered under this, or will have to buy a new differential at $1000 + tax? I have 106,000 miles on the vehicle so far. The seal looks quite corroded on the steel surround , so it must be quite old.

IMG_2998 resized.jpg I removed the yoke and seal, and the bearing has broken its cage and the outer race has spun in the housing!

A picture I took after removing the pinion housing!

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
957 Posts
There was in fact a recall back in 2008 that involved replacing the seal. My 07 was included in the recall. This is the info I recorded from the work ticket:

CAMPAIGN 07204
Drive axle seal using following parts:
Seal kit p/n 19179933
Gear lub p/n 2- 89021677
Additive p/n 1052358 (friction modifier)

call a dealer with your VIN to see if your SRX was included in the recall and if, was the work done

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was in fact a recall back in 2008 that involved replacing the seal. My 07 was included in the recall. This is the info I recorded from the work ticket:

CAMPAIGN 07204
Drive axle seal using following parts:
Seal kit p/n 19179933
Gear lub p/n 2- 89021677
Additive p/n 1052358 (friction modifier)

call a dealer with your VIN to see if your SRX was included in the recall and if, was the work done
Hi and thanks for your help. I called my local GM dealership today and they confirmed that my vehicle had the recall done in 2008, before I owned it.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
687 Posts
Curious, do you think the failure was due to low oil due to seal leaking

or

seal leaked because brg failed and ran off-center?

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
957 Posts
You might check www.safercar.gov to see if there are other complaints of similar failures on the affected model years. I believe the original recall was done because a
failed seal could cause the differential to lock and the vehicle could loose control. Again searching the safercar site might get you more details. Also it might be beneficial to file a complaint in case the issue is more widespread.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious, do you think the failure was due to low oil due to seal leaking

or

seal leaked because brg failed and ran off-center?
More than likely the seal leaked and the bearing ran dry and overheated. I also noticed the vent on the top of the carrier is the old metal cap type.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts