Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... after having driven down to Virginia Beach from Maryland and back for Memorial Day weekend in my 2007 Escalade ESV, I am driving into
work on Tuesday and get the "Engine Oil Pressure Low - Stop Engine" warning shortly after leaving my drive way. First time ever seeing that.
Since I was at a stop light, I turned the car on and off to see if it was a fluke. It came back. I pulled off to the side of the road, called OnStar and
had it towed to the local Cadillac dealership. They reported that I had a turned bearing, causing the issue. There was a code associated with it, but I don't remember the number. The solution was to replace the engine, but I had 191K miles on her, and seemed like a good opportunity to upgrade to a newer model for some of the new tech (Bluetooth, newer nav system etc.)

I have had the 2007 since 2009, and was quite happy with it, so this was a gut punch. I asked the dealership what they would give me for the
truck if I looked at purchasing one of theirs. They said $500 cash or $1000 trade. Mind you, the truck was immaculate. New front and rear
bumpers, new OEM 22" wheels. Everything worked. This truck had almost every option: remote start, heated cooled seats, heated steering wheel, entertainment kit (Serviced regularly at the dealership for 6 years.

Question for the group is, what would you do?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
91 Posts
You can sell 2 parts on the truck for 1K what a slap in the face first thing i would do is check another dealership then if I didnt like what
they said I would list it on craigslist as mechanic special and get more than that $1k

·
Registered
A red 2007 escalade base and a orange 2004 lamborghini galla
167 Posts
Put a new engine or take apart the truck And sell everything on here eBay Craigslist however you want

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get a long block from gmpp and swap everything over to it in your truck. About 6k for brand new engine to go in your "immaculate " truck. If truck is not exactly like new then Mabey find a used engine from a wreck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Caddy2489 - That is exactly where I was going with this. The offer from the dealership was outrageous. Adding injury to insult, one of the mechanics came to me and asked me what the dealership was offering. I told him. He offered $1500. Now one could say that this is a little bit of conflict of interest going on here. Now mind you, I had never had this problem before, had maintained the vehicle at the dealership for the past 6 years. Haven't added it up, but would estimate that I have spent at least $23K in maintenance, to include one big hit of $12K for an insurance claim when my wheels were stolen a couple of years ago.

----------

bsgiffor - To your point, I was quoted $8K to replace engine by dealership. Just because the car is immaculate doesn't mean that the trans won't go next. Or the air conditioning compressor, fuel pump, alternator yada yada. The truck has been good to us for sure. In 191K miles (150K from us), I have not had to replace a lot, but literally just paid $600 to replace the liftgate latch in the past month! They could literaaly have taken that part off of the truck and put it back on the parts shelf and covered $500 alone, without even selling the wheels.

----------

Spun bearing? What oil did you use? Regular maintenance? Etc?
Regularly maintained at the dealership. Did do oil change at Valvoline on 5/19 due to inability to get into dealer before Memorial Day trip to Va Beach. Used Valvoline Oli Filter VO88 and Valvoline 5W30 Maxlife Oli API SN - 6 qts. Alarm occurred about 800 miles after oil change on 5/26.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
While a 2007 with almost 200k is not worth much, it's worth a LOT more than they are offering. See if your auto insurance covers a rent a car get the truck fixed, although you maybe able to find a better deal than you are getting from he dealership

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hcvone - I was fortunate that we had another car that we could use, so didn't need to rent one. Since I was out of Schiltz, I drove down to the dealership Saturday, and told them that I didn't know what I was going to do, but I most definitely was going to get more than $500. I resolved that investing the $8K into the truck was less practical than taking that money (plus money from the old truck) and getting something more recent. I started the truck (mind you , I had not started the vehicle since I had it towed to the dealership) and it ran fine. The alarm came back, but no knocking or abnormal sounds. I said hey, this thing seems to be running fine, are you sure that we did not misdiagnose it - say pressure switch maybe or something else? They were like no, the code most certainly pointed to a spun bearing and that it was not a matter of if, but when it would completely destroy itself. Hmmm. with no choice, but to tow the vehicle verywhere I wanted to take it, I set out to see what i could get. Used auto parts place offered $2500. Took it to another dealer (non-cadillac). With alarm and all, they offered $7K in trade for one of their vehicles. Mind you, I am driving alll over creation and the truck is running fine. The alarm is intermittent. No pattern. No trigger, just comes in and out. I go back to the original caddy dealer and explain my observations. They stick with their story ... and offer. I decide to go to Carmax. On the way to Carmax, the Engine Oil Low Pressure alarm stops happening, but I get the check engine light (I had just filled up with gas). I make sure the cap is on good, and continue on. When I park the car at Carmax for the appraisal, the check engine light is locked in. After the test drive, I get an offer of $10K. But there were no comments of any alarms or problems from the test driver. Curious, I decide to remote start the vehicle on the way to go home (there is an interlock that prevents remote start if there is a check engine light) and it started right up! When I got into the car, there were NO alarms! I drove BACK to the caddy dealership, told them the situation - and offer from Carmax, and asked would they reconsider their offer for trade for one of their vehicles. They said $7K. I said see you later.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
91 Posts
Wow what a jump from $1k to $7K I gotta give it to the Cadillac mechanic to offer you $1500 he would have had a nice come up but it seems like
the 10K from carmax is a really good offer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With a fair amount of God's grace, I took the truck back to Carmax and took the money! I wasn't really sure what to believe with regards to the diagnosis, BUT, pushing it in order to get MAYBE $2-3K more didn't seem smart (I had always had about $12K as the price I would like to get when I did let it go.) That said, there were (still) no alarms, truck ran great, looked great, and hope that it serves someone in the future as well as it has served our family. The remaining question is what to do about my "dealer"? During this process, while they did offer their increase to $7K for trade, the sales manager said that he would "treat me right" if I bought one of their vehicles. I picked out a 2013 CPO Escalade ESV Platinum with 43K miles on it on their lot for 54,995. He said that he would take $500 off........

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
311 Posts
Just my .02 but I would go somewhere else on principal. In my mind they were trying to take advantage of someone who was in a bind. Fortunately you have another vehicle and are smart enough to shop around/investigate other options. There are plenty of people who freak out at moments like this and make an irrational decision like selling their truck for $500-$1000. I despise dealers who do what they tried to do to you. They knew exactly what they were doing...buy it insanely cheap, fix, and sell for huge profit.

Sounds like it worked out well for you as far as Carmax. I would make a point to tell the dealer that they won't see a dime of my money due to their original slap in the face offer. But then again that's just me.

Let us know what you end up getting!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just my .02 but I would go somewhere else on principal. In my mind they were trying to take advantage of someone who was in a bind. Fortunately you have another vehicle and are smart enough to shop around/investigate other options. There are plenty of people who freak out at moments like this and make an irrational decision like selling their truck for $500-$1000. I despise dealers who do what they tried to do to you. They knew exactly what they were doing...buy it insanely cheap, fix, and sell for huge profit.

Sounds like it worked out well for you as far as Carmax. I would make a point to tell the dealer that they won't see a dime of my money due to their original slap in the face offer. But then again that's just me.

Let us know what you end up getting!
I hear you Denaliguy. It does seem that the situation was being used to scare me into a desperation situation. "it's gonna blow" "It's just a matter of time." "You better get rid of it now while you can still get ($500) for it." Hell, I was led to believe that I would never hear the engine run again after I had it towed there.

On reflection, it does appear that as a 6 year customer of theirs, not saying that they needed to give a new escalade for free, but certainly that there would have been more of an effort to work with me to try and find a solution that would support cementing my loyalty as a customer. I told their sales person exactly what I was looking for, and nothing heard! I also told them that I already had the financing. I guessthey were not willing to go look. Or for some reason, didn't take me seriously. It was more of "what you see is what you get" or in other words, pick from the ones that we already have on the lot. So, I set out on my own. Found a 2012 CPO Escalade ESV Platinum with 31K miles, and the right color in Long Island. It's a beaut. Gently used. Still has the plastic on the ceiling entertainment screens. One set of keys and fob never used. Good body/wheels. I think that my plan is that once I get it down to Maryland, I will take it to the dealer for state inspection. I think that sends a statement in and of itself - "you didn't get the big money, but let's see if you want to earn the long money - again". At the same time, I plan to have a sit down with the GM with a stack of all of my maintenance receipts from them, and lay all of this out and see what he has to say about us not having this conversation six years from now. If he gets an attitude, I'll walk. Sucks, because they are the most convenient dealership to where I work/live, and for the most part, I know and trust the service guys (hence why I was there for 6 years).

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,654 Posts
Typically for older vehicles, a dealer will offer you .14 Cents per pound scrap. That's what a car is worth to dump it. So if it weighs 3,800... do the math.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Typically for older vehicles, a dealer will offer you .14 Cents per pound scrap. That's what a car is worth to dump it. So if it weighs 3,800... do the math.
Yeah, gotcha. How about we sell the freakin 22" OEM wheels before compacting it?? Then do your .14 conversion. Point remains that there were other options to explore besides straight scrap and a lot more value in the truck than $500. I had just replaced the lift gate mechanism at the dealer for ~$600 in the last 2 months. Anywho, the car is already for sale on the Internet at a dealer in VA for $15k.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would have driven the thing until the engine went, and then pick up a lightly used 6.2L from the junkyard for $2-3,000. $10,000 isn't a bad deal, though. You certainly got your moneys worth out of her. Was the transmission original?

·
Registered
A red 2007 escalade base and a orange 2004 lamborghini galla
167 Posts
If you wanna buy a new one don't just put a new engine and a platinum front bumper and platinum seats and your all good if you want to even the "wood" buy the trim the platinum come with and your truck will run good again and look a lot newer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would have driven the thing until the engine went, and then pick up a lightly used 6.2L from the junkyard for $2-3,000. $10,000 isn't a bad deal, though. You certainly got your moneys worth out of her. Was the transmission original?
It seems that I probably could have driven it for a bit more, but like I said before, the dealership was insistent that it was all over but the screaming. To the best of my knowledge, the car is still running with NO alarms. It is still not absolutely clear that the issue was what they said it was or as bad as they said it is - never had a spun bearing before. But I don't think that it just "goes away". Plus, I was probably going to start to look in about a year any way. It was just not now!

I had ALOT of original stuff: trans, shocks, alot. And I had it on the good old GMPP (6 year/100K), so a lot of smaller things were taken care of. I was blessed. I also sank a good amount into maintenance over the years - >$23K in maintenance at the dealership, hence my concerns with them.

And this was part of my calculus to move on as well. Nothing lasts forever. The truck was 8 years old and had 191K. Had just safely transported me and my boys to VA Beach and back for National Duals. She served us well, and I hope she continues to serve.

·
Registered
All Escalade Premiums, '16 ESV, '13 ESV, '10 EXT
617 Posts
I'll bite my tongue here as much as possible but that is NOT the case with a car like that. They would send it to auction, likely get about $7k-$8k for it. Also are you sure you posted in the right forum here? 3,800 pounds? Check your math lol...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts