Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has ever had the button ignition switch fail and replaced it? When I push the button I hear a faint pop in the dash. I can still turn the accessories on and everything lights up, and no messages are displayed. Before I have it towed to the dealership, I thought I would see if anyone had some ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Does remote start at least start the car, you just cannot drive start the car because of the dash button? Just wondering if it will not remote start either, it may be deeper than just the dash switch..

·
Registered
2006 STS4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It won't start the car, but the lights flash like it received the command. I haven't seen a circuit diagram, but if that switch failed open you wouldn't be able to get to start..right?

----------

The battery seems fine accessories work, lights come on and is less than 18 months old, but I can check it with a volt meter and see if it's putting out 12 V.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
There is a rather lengthy list of reasons that remote start can be disabled so this requires further investigation. Keep in mind that the current draw to start the car is much higher than to illuminate the dash or flash some lights briefly. From what you're describing, my first thought is the battery as well, or connections at the battery. These cars are notoriously hard on batteries. To properly check the battery it will need to have a full charge before being load tested with the proper equipment. A volt meter check really says nothing about it's ability to deliver on current.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,341 Posts
Mine doesn't remote start when the CEL is on, also when there is a stored code, it'll start until the code is cleared

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
Not every DTC will prevent remote start from working, only specific codes and any that request the MIL (aka check engine light). Here is the criteria as published by GM:

- A key fob has been detected inside the vehicle.
- The vehicle has been left in Valet mode.
- The hazard flasher switch is in the on position.
- A current hazard switch diagnostic trouble code has been set.
- The hood is open.
- The theft deterrent system has detected an alarm trigger.
- Excessive engine RPM has been detected.
- The coolant temperature is too high.
- There has been a low engine oil pressure detected.
- The accelerator pedal position indicates greater than 0% (pedal may be slightly sticky).
- The vehicle isn't registering as being in PARK.
- A fault has been detected with the theft deterrent system.
- There is a current automatic transmission shift lock control system diagnostic trouble code set.
- A vehicle speed signal is detected by the engine control module.
- Any other condition that will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) aka 'Check Engine Light'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts