Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOOD DAY EVERYONE

I have a 2006 STS4 in pretty great shape for its age (169.000km) yes I said KM im from Canada. So the issue im having its the ride quality. She feels as if she's bottoming out. I fell 90% of anything the tires run over, its not hugging the road and absorbing contact the way it should be. Ive taken her to a GM dealer specifically for a suspension check and to them everything checked out clear. Sooo I did some research and I see a lot fellow cadillacians of my model and year have/had the same issue but nowhere could I find the results of the repairs. Ive been quotes at $6000 just in parts for the MRC strut system and I was wondering if there were any other possible issues I can look into that may be causing this stiffness in my ride or alternative routes I can take to resolving the issue. Like I said she's only at 169km and she's treated like gold so I know shell be sticking around for while but I would hope to find a less costly alternative. Last resort would be to swop out for 4 OEM parts

If anyone has any advice, tips, solutions please don't be shy

CHEERS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I also have a 2006 STS Northstar with Magnetic Ride Control and had leaking both front struts, it had very stiff behaviour. I bought just a pair of refurbished front Magnetic struts for a Cadillac SLS (yes the chinese extended STS) from Ebay China for just €250 each. I installed them myself and was nice smooth ride again it was worth the €500. I feel that my rear struts also need to be replaced in the future, one is now slightly leaking and gets stiffer so i will this year or next year.

If you want to be sure, replace them all 4.

Dont replace them for Standard struts, MRC is excellent in my opinion, went driving in Hungary on bad Roads in tour mode and sharp curved mountain road in performance setting, driving like a (heavy) sports car.

Greetings from holland.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, I also have a 2006 STS Northstar with Magnetic Ride Control and had leaking both front struts, it had very stiff behaviour. I bought just a pair of refurbished front Magnetic struts for a Cadillac SLS (yes the chinese extended STS) from Ebay China for just €250 each. I installed them myself and was nice smooth ride again it was worth the €500. I feel that my rear struts also need to be replaced in the future, one is now slightly leaking and gets stiffer so i will this year or next year.

If you want to be sure, replace them all 4.

Dont replace them for Standard struts, MRC is excellent in my opinion, went driving in Hungary on bad Roads in tour mode and sharp curved mountain road in performance setting, driving like a (heavy) sports car.

Greetings from holland.
Manuel25 thanks for your replace champ, I will def give your suggestion a good look into and consult with my mechanic. Hopefully with your solution I can finally put my 21" rims back on for the remainder of this so called summer lol

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
448 Posts
These comments relate to 2 2008 STS. Both mag ride and one each AWD and RWD.

My experience was failed struts give you a very hard ride feeling. Replaced all 4 and back to firm and sure ride. Yes Mag ride is expensive but worth it to me. I ordered the parts and did the rear myself. The front was done by an indie one time and by myself in a military auto hobby shop the next time. The key for the front is to have access to a wall mounted strut and spring compressor. Do not try the screw bars with hooks commonly sold for DIY spring compression. They are dangerous. Good Luck

Oh - DIY was about $1200 to $1400 from my memory for oem.

Not trying to run your life but the fix would last longer and be more effective if you went to stock 18s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These comments relate to 2 2008 STS. Both mag ride and one each AWD and RWD.

My experience was failed struts give you a very hard ride feeling. Replaced all 4 and back to firm and sure ride. Yes Mag ride is expensive but worth it to me. I ordered the parts and did the rear myself. The front was done by an indie one time and by myself in a military auto hobby shop the next time. The key for the front is to have access to a wall mounted strut and spring compressor. Do not try the screw bars with hooks commonly sold for DIY spring compression. They are dangerous. Good Luck

Oh - DIY was about $1200 to $1400 from my memory for oem.

Not trying to run your life but the fix would last longer and be more effective if you went to stock 18s.
Thanks CWB appreciate your advice. Ive decided to just go ahead and purchase the OEM parts and have my trusted local mechanic do the job. He did a through check of the vehicle and perfected at the rate im taking care of this classic V8 of a beast I could get a good 5 6 years easy without any major issues. Ill be back on here with the final results when everything done.

Thanks to all with tips!!!

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts