Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS V8 4.6L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently started experiencing power steering issues with my vehicle. It has 115,000 miles on it. When just getting into my car and going to work it seems to operate fine until I get going a ways, then every time I come to a stop, or slow down the steering gets very hard as if there is no power steering. As long as I am on the gas giving it rpm's it turns just fine. I can have the vehicle in park and rev the engine up and the power steering works just fine, but if I leave the vehicle at idle it is very difficult to turn. The power steering pump also has a whining sound to it like the fords of the 90's use to have. Will just replacing the power steering pump fix this issue? It also seems to be worse in the hot weather. The colder it is the better the power steering operates. Please help send emails or texts to [email protected] or 715-495-1054

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
Yep probably the pump, but make sure it's not just low on fluid.

My rpms drop a bit when I turn the wheel at a standstill, I'm thinking my pump is getting ready to die. Funny because I'm at about the same mileage as you.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Yep probably the pump, but make sure it's not just low on fluid.

My rpms drop a bit when I turn the wheel at a standstill, I'm thinking my pump is getting ready to die. Funny because I'm at about the same mileage as you.
That's a good sign. It means that the pump produces enough pressure to put a noticeable load on the system.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6 and 2008 STS N* 1SE
57 Posts
Old post but.... I had the same issue on my 96 Impala and my fluid needed to be changed. If the fluid overheats it will not do its job. I added a PS cooler. Check the fluid color if its not pretty try changing it before throwing money at a new pump.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Old post but.... I had the same issue on my 96 Impala and my fluid needed to be changed. If the fluid overheats it will not do its job. I added a PS cooler. Check the fluid color if its not pretty try changing it before throwing money at a new pump.
The fluid in my STS changed color too. It went from clear to black and the black was particulate matter from the grunted pump guts.

·
Registered
06 DTS Pfm, 06DTS Lux2, 96 FWB, 08 STS-V(sold)
69 Posts
So was it your pump? I'm having the exact issue you describe. I had my guy replace a solenoid on the rack but it didn't help.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'd change the fluid first. Get a turkey baster, suck out all you can and refill with fresh high quality fluid. Drive for a 1/2 day then repeat. Keep doing it until it looks clear. Mine was groaning and stiff and that's what I did this past spring and it's been fine since. Had to do the ole girls CTS too. Hers was smelling like something was burning and then the PS would stop working and she'd get a warning on the DIC to Service Power Steering.

I did essentially the same thing, only I was prepared to change the pump. I tore everything off including the pulley and got down to the last bolt and couldn't get to it in my garage. So after having disconnected the PS lines I drained out what I could and put everything back together, filled the system, burped it and it started working good again. After a day of driving I checked the fluid again and it was black again. I used the baster and refilled again and again until it stayed clear. No problems since. I'm not saying it's not your pump but it's worth 1 or 2 quarts of quality PS fluid and a little time to maybe save yourself some cash!

WARNING: Don't reuse the baster on a turkey! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts