Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STSV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First it felt like the transmission was slipping after a fairly long trip at highway speeds when making a sharp left turn at maybe 55 mph. Love that feeling like driving a go Kart that will blow most other cars off of the road. That happened a couple times so I had the dealership change the transmission fluid. Now it has a very loud click coming from the rear area. I replaced the differential fluid with Amsoil Royal Purple but the clicking is worse so it is parked for now. The rubber front differential bushing mount bolt fell out a while back so I just replaced it with a bolt and a nut with some big washers. 130,000 miles and it runs very good, I can't help but make the supercharger growl.
Any clues as to what I should check 1st? :confused:
Does anyone know the correct numbers I should look for in a used differential in case that is what I need?
I tried to navigate through the posts but I couldn't find anything definite.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
769 Posts
Tranny slipping only in left turns? Amsoil Royal Purple? To my knowledge they are from different companies. Which one did you use? Also sounds like your front differential bushing needs replacing. Can’t imagine where clicking would come from other than metal to metal sounds from a destroyed bushing.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,906 Posts
Could be the CV joint on the driveshaft. Remove driveshaft and pry the cover on the rear CV joint off. Add grease if dry. I've seen them make a loud, disturbing clicking noise that turned out to be a dry rear driveshaft CV joint. Packed with grease and noise went away, never to return.

·
Registered
2006 STSV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I drove it again yesterday to get a drive cycle so it can pass the emissions and the noise came and went. it is driven primarily by my wife and she noticed it once in a while then all the time. It kind of sounds like the wheel is touching the brake housing but when it is elevated there is clearance.
I will pull the CV axles this weekend and grease them up. Thank you for the reply and at least it's a place to start.

·
Registered
2006 STSV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was Royal purple. The bushing bolt fell out a few years ago and wouldn't thread back in after finding it on the side of the road. The bolt and nut with large washers was an emergency fix.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4
1,426 Posts
Did that fluid you used in the diff have a friction modifier? I think ours needs it and if I recall correctly, RP is one of the fluids that has it included. Otherwise you need to get the separate little bottle from GM and add it.

That could be the diff gears inside making noise without the friction modifier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts