Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My URPA is also on the fritz but the indications seem normal according to the owners manual: "URPA comes on automatically when the shift lever is
moved into REVERSE (R) and the vehicle speed is less
than 3 mph (5 km/h). When the system turns on, the
three lights on the display will illuminate for one and a
half seconds to let you know that the system is
working. If your vehicle is moving in REVERSE (R) at a
speed greater than 3 mph (5 km/h), the red light will
flash to remind you that the system does not work at a
speed greater than 3 mph (5 km/h)." The light indications over the back window seem to work fine when I put it into reverse -- I get 1 red and two amber - the red is on the L end of the three. I get no chime when close to an object or when I put the car in reverse. According to the owners manual, the URPA is on the same fuse as the backup lights and my backup lights work fine. So, I think the light display works fine but I get no chime. Any suggestions? The red light also flashes if I go over 3mph in Reverse. Is the chime on another fuse -- other than the URPA?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,813 Posts
Let's move this to the proper Sigma-body "STS" forum.

·
Registered
2006 STS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No aftermarket stereo in the car and the chimes do not work in any function. I just recently purchased this 2006 STS with 15,300 miles and I am new to this forum -- so what does "Sigma-body" STS forum mean?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,005 Posts
Sigma body STS means the engine is fore and aft rather than an old cross-wise sidewinder.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,012 Posts
Chimes not working is likely a different issue ... does sound (music / blinkers) work?
You may have a failing / failed amplifier.

·
Registered
2006 STS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm beginning to think it is a "Chimes problem" and may have nothing to do with the URPA. I left the driver's seat belt unbuckled and got the red light on the dash to illuminate - first steady and then flashing -- but no chimes! Could the previous owner have disconnected the seat belt chimes or all the chimes functions as I have never heard a chime in this car! I also can not find a fuse for "chimes" in the owners manual. I have only owned the car a few weeks and have driven it very little but everything seems to work except the chimes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There isn't one.
Your amplifier may be failing.
Relating to my post in another thread describing this exact same issue, when we ran the TECH II the amp had a DTC code.

That being said, my reverse lights are both out so that may be my issue.

But you mentioning the amplifier issue definitely came up for me on the TECH II so I don't doubt you're correct.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,012 Posts
I have the Bose System
Everyone with the STS has Bose system.
Do you have OEM navigation with speakers built into the top of the seats or not?
The 15 speaker system was exclusive to NAV model. The 8 speaker system is in the other models.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
2 Posts
The reason I ask is that if you have the high-end stereo with Nav but do not have the YQ4 RPO on the sticker underneath your spare tire cover, your car was upgraded with the Nav unit. This could account for various features not working as expected.

·
Registered
2006 STS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do have OEM navigation with speakers built into the top of the seats. I'll have to check on the YQ4 RPO sticker but I'm fairly certain the car was not upgraded with the NAV.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
2 Posts
You almost certainly have YQ4. Seats would be expensive to upgrade. (It's a great system, enjoy.)

I haven't a clue on your issue, though. I fear Luda' may be right.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,215 Posts
The rear park assist module sends a signal to the rear integration module. This in turn sends a data bus message to your amplifier requesting a chime. This is basically how all chimes in your vehicle work (except that module requesting the chime will vary depending on why the chime is requested). As I recall, both amps used in the STS for the various infotainment systems (YQ1, YQ2 and YQ4) all operate this way. I tend to agree that you may have an amplifier fault since none of your chimes work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To my understanding all of the modules communicate through data lines, and when one module is failing to communicate it can cause problems with other systems. I had an amplifier fail and on top of it obviously causing the audio to become inoperative and the chimes also, but the cruise control to my surprise - mine has the adaptive cruise feature which may not relate to your issue. I replaced the failed module and all was well in the other systems as well.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
To my understanding all of the modules communicate through data lines, and when one module is failing to communicate it can cause problems with other systems. I had an amplifier fail and on top of it obviously causing the audio to become inoperative, the chimes also, and the cruise control - mine has the adaptive cruise feature which may not relate to your issue. I replaced the failed module and all was well in the other systems as well.
Not necessarily. The Rear Park Assist module for example does not communicate on either of the data buses in these vehicles. The specific fault will also dictate what (if any) other systems are affected for those modules that do have connectivity with the data buses.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I still believe the amplifier is the issue...
I'm leaning this direction. The amplifier does communicate on the low speed GMLAN bus and for there to be no chimes at all would pretty much require every other module that may request them to be faulty. This just doesn't seem likely. There are other possibilities though. For example, I believe that chimes only sound from one speaker (lane departure warning is an exception to this) so if there is a problem with the speaker or its wiring then this would also explain the problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts