Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Infiniti M35x, 2008 Escalade EXT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 STS V6 which i cannot get the TPMS system to reset. I have one sensor that says 24psi but the tire is actually what it is supposed to be. I went through the entire process of resetting my sensors but cannot get the process to work. I follow the process as stated in the manual:

1. Set Parking Brake
2. Turn ignition to acc
3. Lock and unlock the door using the key fob.
4. press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time and hold.
5. Horn honks 2 times not once as is stated in the manual.
6. Let air out of the left front tire. No horn honk.
7. Tried same process using the Kent-Moore EL-50448 tool and tried it on all of the tires without one tire giving me a horn honk.

Is there a method to reset the TPMS computer or something that could be causing the whole system to stop. I can believe that I have a sensor or two that could have gone bad but seems odd that all of the sensors would have failed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
The sensors don't fail. The batteries in them go dead. Yours are nine years old. It's time to open your wallet and buy some replacements.

·
Registered
2008 STS NS
42 Posts
You do need to drive the vehicle just prior to doing the reset, as the sensors go to "sleep" when not in motion.
I've used this procedure and it does work.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
A 20-minute drive will do it if Koz is wrong and the sensor batteries are still OK. They might be if you're still getting some reading.

My 2006 still has 2 of its original sensors and it was delivered in September of '05; 105k miles.

----------

It's a whole lot easier with a TPMS tool and they aren't expensive ~ $25.

·
Registered
2010 Infiniti M35x, 2008 Escalade EXT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are in my winter rims which were replaced 2 or 3 years ago. I just thought it was odd that all of them would fail at once. I thought maybe there was something on the computer that needed to be reset.

Thanks for the replies. I did drive it but maybe not far enough to get the batteries running. I will give it another try.

Brad

·
Premium Member
28,963 Posts
If you have the full bore J46079 Kent-Moore TPMS analyzer It will evaluate, analyze and reset the sensors as well as analyze the vehicle's TPMS receiver by simulating working sensors. I picked mine up on Ebay for a couple of hundred bucks and it's paid for itself a dozen times,

·
Registered
Sts-v 2008
139 Posts
bbjorklund99 said:
These are in my winter rims which were replaced 2 or 3 years ago. I just thought it was odd that all of them would fail at once. I thought maybe there was something on the computer that needed to be reset. Thanks for the replies. I did drive it but maybe not far enough to get the batteries running. I will give it another try. Brad

Mine has trouble when it is very cold and short trips. I think it is the batteries are getting a weak.

·
Premium Member
28,963 Posts
My own experience is that when the TPMS sensors become intermittent, all the wishful thinking, tinkering, and resetting in the world will do no good. Bite the bullet and purchase new sensors. The installation is a fairly simple DIY project and you don't even have to take the tires and rims off the car. If a 75 year old fuddy duddy can do it, surely you young bucks will have no trouble at all. I have written up the procedure several times and posted it in this forum. God helps those who help themselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts