Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2006 Cadillac STS, I then got after market WHEELS, Rims & Tires. The person who did the switching of wheels mounting & balancing kept the old rims.
Are there any sensors that were attached to the rim itself - like say Air Pressure Sensors and would there be any other sensors for Traction Control, Assist Brake, Stability System?
Im 100% sure that the Air Pressure Sensors were not transferred, My fear is that there is more info that is programmed into these sensors. If not where would I start looking to adress the traction control slowing me down on a the smallest amount of sleet or snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello,
Im a noob, I know not cool. Im not just a noob to the forum but to cars in general. So here is my story please help if you can, and I apologize if I posted in the wrong area.
I bought a 2006 STS, I love the car - but I wanted some cooler looking rims. I bought some after market wheels, (Rim & Tires) I had a third party dealer switch out my wheels,
He did the mounting & balancing. My question is - is there any sensors that were connected to attached to the rim/wheel itself? Im sure did not transfer them. Im pretty sure
at the very least he didnt bring over the air pressure sensor, is there any other sensors or does the sensor read or rely any other information? Say like for Traction Control, Assisted Brake,
or Stability System. If the sensors are not located in the wheel where would they be? I have issues in just the smallest amount of snow, sleet even heavy rain. These systems then kick in
wheels spin or stop I get because of RWD Id have some issues handling in the snow, but Im talking even less than a half inch. is there any known issues w/ Traction Control, Assisted Brake,
Stability System? Ok thank you for reading - Id love to see what I can do to calm it down in the sleet. Have a great day people hope to read some replies with knowledge or advice.....

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
497 Posts
There are no sensors other than the TPMS in the wheels. Are you having any codes? The number one contributor to traction will pretty much always be your tires. Some tires are horrible in the snow/ice or even the smallest amount of rain, even some tires known as "all-season" are straight garbage in inclement weather. What kind of tires are you running?

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
281 Posts
Traction Control, Antilock Brake, and Stability Systems go off of wheelspeed sensors located down by each brake rotor. Those stay in place regardless of what wheels are used on the car, so those were not affected by the new equipment. The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) use a sensor on each rim (inside the tire) that communicate with radio frequency to the receiver in the car. I don't know if all '06 STS had TPMS, hopefully someone who knows will chime in. If your does, you should be getting some kind of indication/warning from the dashboard display if the sensors weren't re-used or new ones didn't come with the new rims. Whomever did the tires/wheels swap would know, just stop by or give them a call.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
497 Posts
I bought a 2006 Cadillac STS, I then got after market WHEELS, Rims & Tires. The person who did the switching of wheels mounting & balancing kept the old rims.
Are there any sensors that were attached to the rim itself - like say Air Pressure Sensors and would there be any other sensors for Traction Control, Assist Brake, Stability System?
Im 100% sure that the Air Pressure Sensors were not transferred, My fear is that there is more info that is programmed into these sensors. If not where would I start looking to adress the traction control slowing me down on a the smallest amount of sleet or snow.
In the future, check the date(s) on the thread and don't hijack other threads. You were good to start your own thread if the search tool didn't provide you with anything current and relevant. This post is over 13 years old and didn't go anywhere. Just be mindful, we've all done it.

(Moderator edit: Posts and threads on this car and subject have been merged for ease of advice and continuity.)

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,617 Posts
The federal mandate for TPMS was signed into law I think in 2001, to be effective for the 2007 model year, but some brands (like Cadillac) started doing it long before the deadline. My 2003 Deville has them.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,666 Posts
MeanSTS, Welcome to CF !!! Your original thread and other relevant posts from a hijacked dead thread have been merged into this one for continuity of advice.

TPMS is for tire pressure monitoring only. Wheel speed and several other sensors are used for the ABS, Traction Control, and Stability systems.

If you want to find out how it all works subscribe the car to a multi-year deal at www.alldatadiy.com - the online GM/Cadillac/Helm service manuals plus a LOT more.

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
281 Posts
The federal mandate for TPMS was signed into law I think in 2001, to be effective for the 2007 model year, but some brands (like Cadillac) started doing it long before the deadline. My 2003 Deville has them.
Interesting, I don't think my fairly bare bones '06 has them, considering I had a cut sidewall that turned a tire into less than a rimsaver and never got a TPM message of any kind. Maybe only the high end '06 had them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts