Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS-4
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right headlight washer on my 2006 Cadillac STS-4 is stuck, sticking out about 2 inches from the front of the car. It happened about a month ago. I live in Wisconsin, and was using my washer fluid, and noticed the pressure wasnt as good as normal. When I looked at my car I noticed the headlight washer was stuck out and not returning back into the car. I took it to the Cadillac dealership and when I used the washer fluid it the headlight washer would pop out its normal 3 inches but not spray fluid, as it was leaking under the car. Then it would return only an inch, remaining stuck out. I would have had the dealership fix it but they said it would cost $150 just to open the hood. Does anyone have any experience with the issue, or is this something I could take to a standard mechanic (to avoid $150 charge) to have fixed? My car just came off warranty and I have only ever used to Cadillac dealership for repairs, so am hesitant to use a standard shop or mechanic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,215 Posts
The reason they want $150 just to look at it is because they have to take the whole front fascia off even to get to it (or change a headlight for that matter). They are probably estimating about 1.5 hours to disassemble, have a brief look and put it all together again. You can take it elsewhere and maybe save a few bucks, but it's the same amount of work regardless of where you go. Generally, shops will charge a minimum 1 hour for most jobs.

You need either a warranty or thick wallet whenever these cars need service.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
I deactivated mine, other than wetting the front end so road salt sticks to it and wasting more washer fuild they serve ZERO purpose.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
14 Posts
I think the washers do help whem conditions warrant. However, I don't like them running automatically whenever the headlights are on. They ought to be on a separate switch.

The washer solvent use is not excessive at all to me. Opinions vary.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The high pressure washers are very necessary, IMHO, on vehicles with HID lighting. HID lights do not put out heat like incandescent headlights, so, as I have experienced over the past few years driving a car with HID lights without washers (CTS with aftermarket HID, hence no washers) and mySTS with HID and washers, during heavy snow, slush and icy conditions, they have been a real benefit/feature of the HID option. Thankfully, the STS has a humongous reservoir because, IMHO again, it uses serious amounts of the do-it fluid, and with the cost reaching that of gasoline, for the alleged good stuff, that can get expensive in the winter around Chicago!

+1 on the switch idea. When possible, while stopped at a light, I'll occasionally make the effort to turn off the headlights, then wash the windshield.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts