Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 cadillac sts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing help or direction on a 2006 cadillac sts. All window switches , mirror adjustments and door lock quit working at the same time on the driver door switch center. Was told it was probably a door module. Replaced module but it did nothing. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem. Fuse and circuit breaker seem to be good. All other windows and door locks will work function at there own switch. Thanks

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
The lock/unlock switches are wired to the Driver Door Switch (DDSM) module. This isn't just switches (window controls, mirror controls and window lock-out), it's actually a computer module that sends messages over the GMLAN bus to other modules in the car. Two of which are the Driver Door Module (DDM) and Passenger Door Module (PDM). The DDM and PDM control the windows, mirror movement and lock/unlock etc. If power and data is intact to the DDSM, I'd be suspicious that this module is faulty not the DDM. What I gather from your post is that you replaced the DDM, not the DDSM, is this correct?

·
Registered
2006 cadillac sts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the driver door module. All the components seem to plug into this. The door lock , window switches or mirror functions do not work. What is the PDM ? What is the master switch ? Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The PDM is the Passenger Door Module. You're right in that several components plug into the Driver Door Module, however as I mentioned, the DDSM (Driver Door Switch Module) is a module in itself. Because all the functions that don't work seem to be related to the Driver Door Switch Module, I'm suspicious your problem is related to this. Possibilities include a faulty module, no power or ground, or no link to the data bus. There is an outside chance the connector may have come dislodged, but unless someone had been in there previously this is very unlikely.

This is a DDSM. It looks like switches, but it's actually got a computer controller inside.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
And that one seems to be for the power folding export only mirror option.

·
Registered
2006 cadillac sts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you saying the control switch panel has a computer inside ? The door lock switch by the inside door handle does not work either.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Yes, that's correct. Since the door lock/unlock switch is connected to (and basically an extension of) the DDSM (shown in the photo I posted), if it isn't working, it makes sense that the lock/unlock switch doesn't work either. At night time, does the back lighting in the window switches work?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
This suggests that it isn't likely as simple as the connector on the DDSM having come unplugged. Of course the best way to diagnose this problem is with a Tech2 scan tool as this will allow you to command several functions without using any of the controls in the car. Through this, you can also determine whether it's possible to connect to the module over the data bus. You can try taking the door panel off and examining all the wiring, just in case. You can also try replacing the DDSM, although there will be some cost to do this. Otherwise, you're likely looking at a visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
It also wouldn't hurt to reset the whole system.

To do so, disconnect negative & positive battery terminals and touch them together. Reinstall in reverse order. The only reprogramming necessary is the express windows. Easy!

·
Registered
2006 cadillac sts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All the connections seem to be plugged in . As noted I have changed out the ddsm which is the square black box where all the connections plugged in. Did not help any. Would I need to do the reset as mentioned by EChas 3 when I installed the new module. I have since removed the new module. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
All the connections seem to be plugged in . As noted I have changed out the ddsm which is the square black box where all the connections plugged in. Did not help any. Would I need to do the reset as mentioned by EChas 3 when I installed the new module. I have since removed the new module. Thanks for the replies.
If you replaced the black module which all the connectors plug into, you DID NOT replace the DDSM, you replaced the DDM. The DDSM is the switch module that I provided a photo of. It only has a single connector that plugs into the bottom and is attached to the removable door panel.

This is the DDSM (Driver Door Switch Module):

This is the DDM (Driver Door Module):

·
Registered
2006 cadillac sts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help in noting the difference in the two items, It was the DDM I repalaced. How do I check the codes with my reader ? Have not used on with a keyless ignition .

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I always just scan my car while it's running. A generic code reader may be of very limited benefit to you here. Go ahead and try, but you really need a scan tool that will actively interact with the modules so you can try various diagnostic tests.

·
Registered
2007 STS
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Cadillac STS where the driver's side power windows and lock controls stopped working. They would work one minute and then go out the next. I then replaced the drivers side control module inside the door with a used one and it seemed like it worked fine for a day.

Now when I got back in my car again it stopped working, then worked, then my drivers window would go down by itself along with the mirrors moving on their own. Also, the window lock comes on by itself for no reason. Now its back to not working. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts